Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Auggy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by Auggy »

rxlexi wrote:   I stopped by One More Cup yesterday, but didn't notice the smell.  I did think it looked kinda like a grandma's house to some degree...the odd mismatched chairs and tables and kids table, etc.  I did love the photos on the walls and with a few tweaks I think it could morph into the hipper kind of feel that the owners probably desire.  I thought it was a decent spot that given time, and some adjustments to their atmosphere, could be a nice little Waldo coffee joint.  The coffee was good, there were newspapers laying around, and the owner was extremely friendly.  I wish them well, as Waldo needs places like this.
Went this weekend- and have to say my coffee was delicious.  Quiet, but I am sure it will pick up as more people go to check it out.  Excited that they have WiFi- and loyalty card- buy 9, 10th cup free!

I think the decor is an improvement from what it was- the big chef in the window always used to creep me out.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

donreck wrote: I welcome the new businesses to our neighborhood but would like to point out that we have not been coffee-less since Bob passed and the Wornall shop closed.  Linda's Winged cup at Gregory & Oak has been there for us for the past few years.  Linda is a great baker and provides fresh goodies every morning for those that are looking for some nourishment.  She has also been a venue for local artists to display their work on a monthly rotating basis...some fantastic, some not so fantastic but all providing a moment to observe others creativity and engage on a different level.  The new shops are an offering for some variety in fares but let's not abandon those that have been there all along.  dr
The only problem with Linda's Winged Cup is the business hours.  Isn't she only open until two?  I've tried her place a couple of times on weekends, but that's about the only chance I have to stop by.
There are some who will. Seems the die hard Bush supporters inherently tend to pick corporate over local in their thinking.
I hope more and more people will make a concious choice to seek out the small local establishment and spend there, keeping the moneys in the communities rather that having it go out if state to corporate HQ's.
KCKev, I understand your point, but I would hardly consider any of the new options to be "corporate".  This will be Coffee Girls second location and The Sweet Guy's only location (transplanted from Parkville).  While I understand your sentiment, I don't know that it's necessarily valid in this scenario.

I am loving all of the options, old and new!
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

We just moved from the Plaza to Waldo, and thus far are loving it...definitely the right decision for us.  Yay, yard! 

I'm definitely pretty thrilled for various coffee options close by, as well.  I'm still learning various nooks and crannies and tucked away places to patronize, but thus far, I'm pretty much in love with Chelly's Cafe on 85th. 
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Jess wrote: We just moved from the Plaza to Waldo, and thus far are loving it...definitely the right decision for us.  Yay, yard! 

I'm definitely pretty thrilled for various coffee options close by, as well.  I'm still learning various nooks and crannies and tucked away places to patronize, but thus far, I'm pretty much in love with Chelly's Cafe on 85th. 
My wife and I just moved to Waldo in December, so we're loving all of the nearby places as well.  Besides Chelly's, what else have you found that you like?
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

Cheffreygo wrote: This will be Coffee Girls second location...
Wouldn't this be something like location 2.5 for Coffee Girls, since the Filling Station was originally Coffee Girls 2.0?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Jess wrote: but thus far, I'm pretty much in love with Chelly's Cafe on 85th. 
The recently installed screen door inside Chelly's is hilarious. I love that place.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Cheffreygo wrote: My wife and I just moved to Waldo in December, so we're loving all of the nearby places as well.  Besides Chelly's, what else have you found that you like?
Actually, though I've only been there once, I enjoyed the Cook Shack Cafe for an early morning breakfast.  It's tiny, but reminds me of the diners I grew up with in small town USA, and the biscuits and gravy stuck with me well past the traditional lunch time. The staff was really friendly and down to earth.  Man, maybe I should run over for some pancakes this weekend. Super reasonably priced, generous portions.
Auggy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Auggy »

Off topic a little- anyone know what is going on in the two spaces near where Meal Makers used to be?  Looks like some big art pieces inside.  A gallery maybe?
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I'm officially totally in love with Chelly's, now. Was there Friday, early evenings, for fajitas, and there was some young dude in jeans and a leather jacket providing the live music on his acoustic, and he did, among standards like Besame Mucho, Sinatra's "My Way" in Spanish, and, as far as I could tell from his overall attitude, completely earnestly and without irony.  Dug it.
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

Auggy, I believe this is a new gallery.  We just got a card in the mail from them, 75th street gallery I think! 

Yay waldo!

Whoops, yes please disregard my dummy comment above.  75th street gallery is in PV.  I didn't get enough coffee this morning....
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Signage for the Waldo Coffee Girls is up.  It looks like they will have the space directly North of Kennedy's.  The interior still looks like there is a lot of work to be done, but it looks like they've at least gotten started with the interior elements.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I just noticed that signage for the Waldo Coffee Girls tonight, too. 

It's probably wrong to prejudge, having never gone to the Southwest Boulevard one, but I've never heard a single thing about the service that didn't involve the words "surly" or "unfriendly."  This is not enticing. Also, their website's logo says "Coffee Girl's." Smirk.

I did go to One More Cup on their grand opening day, and wow, the people running it were INCREDIBLY nice.  The coffee and baked goods were delicious and not a ripoff, but they do need to figure out more comfy seating/setup for a more cozy feel.  The people running it were definitely lovely, though, and that counts.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

Jess wrote: I just noticed that signage for the Waldo Coffee Girls tonight, too. 

It's probably wrong to prejudge, having never gone to the Southwest Boulevard one, but I've never heard a single thing about the service that didn't involve the words "surly" or "unfriendly."  This is not enticing. Also, their website's logo says "Coffee Girl's." Smirk.

I did go to One More Cup on their grand opening day, and wow, the people running it were INCREDIBLY nice.  The coffee and baked goods were delicious and not a ripoff, but they do need to figure out more comfy seating/setup for a more cozy feel.  The people running it were definitely lovely, though, and that counts.
Our experiences at the CG on the Boulevard are exactly as you described. We quit going there months and months ago for that reason.

We went to One More Cup on a Wednesday evening last week 30 minutes before closing time and one woman there (not the owner) was rude to my two-year old daughter and me. Not sure I'll be back.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yeah, in my limited experience service at the CG on southwest boulevard has been pretty neutral.  not rude or actively unfriendly, just going through the motions.  i don't really care about that so much as the fact that CG's coffee really sucks and their pastries are from Costco.  that is wack.

i like Filling Station (ok to good coffee, best muffins in town, great service), Roasterie (great coffee, great pastries, great service), and Broadway Cafe (great coffee, ok pastries, good service).  i end up going to Filling Station the most b/c it is on my way to work. 
Last edited by chrizow on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

barkerr wrote: We went to One More Cup on a Wednesday evening last week 30 minutes before closing time and one woman there (not the owner) was rude to my two-year old daughter and me. Not sure I'll be back.
Weird.....they have always been super pleasant to me.  Which lady helped you?  Was it the one with half her head shaved and HUGE 1980s red eyeglasses?  She's....different....but always seemed nice. 
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Weird.....they have always been super pleasant to me.  Which lady helped you?  Was it the one with half her head shaved and HUGE 1980s red eyeglasses?  She's....different....but always seemed nice. 
It wasn't her. Just sort of a non-descript woman in her late 20's maybe. Not a huge deal, just awkward. My daughter briefly snuck into that little area with the pastries and the woman looked at me as if I'd killed her cat. She continued to stare at us as we walked out. Earlier, my wife asked what time they closed, and whether that meant we should leave, and we got no response. Just kind of a weird experience all around. Did I mention the old guy talking to himself?
Last edited by barkerr on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Weird.....they have always been super pleasant to me.  Which lady helped you?  Was it the one with half her head shaved and HUGE 1980s red eyeglasses?  She's....different....but always seemed nice. 
Hey!  What do you mean by different!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

voltopt wrote: Hey!  What do you mean by different!
Uncommon?  Is that offensive now too?  :lol: :x
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Hmmm, did this girl formerly work at the LatteLand on the Plaza (Jefferson/48th-ish location), perchance, or is this just a uniform look in the KC barista circuit?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Jess wrote: Hmmm, did this girl formerly work at the LatteLand on the Plaza (Jefferson/48th-ish location), perchance, or is this just a uniform look in the KC barista circuit?
Not sure... But her glasses rock.  And she makes a damn fine raspberry latte. She even knows to add the syrup to the milk and then steam it. Otherwise raspberry syrup will curdle the milk.