Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:30 am Still can't get over the name Broseph
So, Broseph's owns Chappell's in Northtown too. I did not know that.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... vated.html
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

WSPanic wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 am https://www.brickandmortar-brg.com/

Seems to be these guys? Menu looks fine. Website says they have a location in Santa Monica and another at Pitt State in Pittsburg, KS. That seems... odd.
Nothing comes up on Google Maps by that name in Pittsburg, which is even stranger.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

longviewmo wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:58 am
WSPanic wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:55 am https://www.brickandmortar-brg.com/

Seems to be these guys? Menu looks fine. Website says they have a location in Santa Monica and another at Pitt State in Pittsburg, KS. That seems... odd.
Nothing comes up on Google Maps by that name in Pittsburg, which is even stranger.
Only logical guess is they are using the cache of a mythical Pittsburg, KS location to boost the reputation of their flagship restaurant in Santa Monica.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

District Pour House. On point.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:24 pm There appears to be a new commercial building in the works replacing the Waldo Antiques building on 75th St. It seems like an odd design:

http://www.botwinrealestate.com/leasing ... w-75th-st/
It looks like this project is back. Unfortunately, the link and images are dead.

It sounds like it has changed/grown from what I remember of the original proposal.
The Plan’s proponents have proposed the demolition of the former Waldo Ice House
building and the construction of a four (4) – story mixed-use structure, with three (3)
stories of approximately 33 apartments above ground floor commercial office spaces,
along with approximately 33 parking spaces provided to the rear of the building. At least
three (3) of the apartments will be affordable to households at or below 70% of the area
median income. In order to strengthen the streetscape/façade wall of the Waldo business
district, the new mixed-use building will be close to the W. 75th Street right-of-way, with
its’ off-street parking to the rear.
Botwin will be joining with Linden Street Partners for the project. They are asking for a tax abatement from LCRA (10 year, 75%)
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That sounds like a significant improvement from the previous proposal. The design of that one was a bit strange.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Powerpoint located here has a rough rendering of this project.

It is a marked improvement on what was proposed initially.
  • $7.6 Million 4-story building
  • Ground floor commercial or office
  • 33 apartments on upper 3 floors
KCDowntown
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:12 pm Powerpoint located here has a rough rendering of this project.

It is a marked improvement on what was proposed initially.
  • $7.6 Million 4-story building
  • Ground floor commercial or office
  • 33 apartments on upper 3 floors
KCDowntown
https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 48974.html
CrossroadsUrbanApts
Ambassador

Post by CrossroadsUrbanApts »

Let me know what you all think. We are pretty excited about it. Plan to break ground in early 2020.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

CrossroadsUrbanApts wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 am Let me know what you all think. We are pretty excited about it. Plan to break ground in early 2020.
A good project and exactly what Waldo (and just about every other neighborhood in this city) needs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm always happy to see apartments going up near drug and grocery stores, churches, a library, and on transit lines.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

LCRA request rejected for Waldo Ice House. Wow. 7-6, Q deciding vote no.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I thought Q was all about focusing on areas outside of downtown? Gotta save those pennies for Waddell & Reed, I guess.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

bspecht wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 pm LCRA request rejected for Waldo Ice House. Wow. 7-6, Q deciding vote no.
Did they say why it was a no?
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

kboish wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:31 pm
bspecht wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:41 pm LCRA request rejected for Waldo Ice House. Wow. 7-6, Q deciding vote no.
Did they say why it was a no?
First Ellington spoke up to say "this isn't an area of town the tool should be used in," not sure that had a lot of buy-in. Then Q said something along the lines of "I actually agree with that reasoning." Could tell it swayed votes. Both 6th District reps still voted Yes.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

This is fascinating because it sounds like the 3rd District reps are also opposed to incentives for the MAC project at Armour and Troost, which makes me wonder where precisely it's ok to use incentives. Also... the mayor comes off as an absolute hypocrite here, nixing this project but defending his Waddell & Reed deal the same day.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chaglang wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am This is fascinating because it sounds like the 3rd District reps are also opposed to incentives for the MAC project at Armour and Troost, which makes me wonder where precisely it's ok to use incentives.
....inside the 3rd district??
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Its all becoming completely incoherent. Didn't the project include affordable housing?

-not supporting a neighborhood development (Waldo) that included affordable housing
-not including the river front project in Tax Credits recommendations to MHDC (when DT affordable housing is stated priority)
-no support for Armour/Troost when it is literally the bridge b/w 3rd and 4th district, no support for a neighborhood development

I'm curious to see if the 2-story project on Independence Ave will apply for incentives. because at the current rate, it shouldn't be approved given the above criteria.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

I miss Sly.....
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Did anyone read my post in "Next Mayor 2019"? Q isn't working for the city. He is currently on a power trip as evidenced by his antagonism toward the Port Authority. He has one goal: his election to congress. If he has his way, you won't see him run for a second term as mayor. That would be a blessing.