Wonderful Waldo

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wonderful Waldo

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:13 pm

i like it. built up to the sidewalk. clean design with lots of natural light.

KCtoBrooklyn
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCtoBrooklyn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Block is set to redevelop the Pride Cleaners Building at 73rd and Wornall:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... pment.html

Some interesting bits in the article:
"Wornall Road has been very strategic for us in the past, and we believe in its future," David Block, president of Block & Co., told the Kansas City Business Journal. "(It's) a very strong commercial road that deserves attention, and it deserves redevelopment and upgrading."

Several possibilities the company is mulling are expanding the 3,000-square-foot building to house a restaurant or converting it to a multitenant retail building. Alternatively, if it finds the right national restaurant tenant, Block & Co. could tear down the building and start fresh, he said.
I hope they do tear down and start fresh, ideally with a mixed-use building and something better than a "national restaurant tenant".

The fabric of Wornall Rd needs so much work that it can be hard to envision it as an attractive urban street, but you gotta start somewhere and I have always thought that this parcel might be a good jumping off point.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 pm

Tanner's Waldo closed for good this weekend.
Well, we have some news:

After 27 wonderful years serving the Waldo area, we have decided that this weekend will be our last.

It has been our pleasure to have been here and we thank all of you that have made this possible for all of these years!

Come have a Final Final with us this weekend to celebrate our good times together. We’d love to see you.
https://www.facebook.com/Tanners75/phot ... =3&theater

WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WSPanic » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 am

FangKC wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:07 pm
Tanner's Waldo closed for good this weekend.
Well, we have some news:

After 27 wonderful years serving the Waldo area, we have decided that this weekend will be our last.

It has been our pleasure to have been here and we thank all of you that have made this possible for all of these years!

Come have a Final Final with us this weekend to celebrate our good times together. We’d love to see you.
https://www.facebook.com/Tanners75/phot ... =3&theater
I've only been in there once in the last 5 years, and it was definitely needing a remodel. It has been for 20 years. I thought the Tanner's people did a nice job with the new one on Rainbow near the KU Med. I'm kind of surprised they didn't try to redo it themselves - they seem to have a decent following in the neighborhood. That's a pretty prime location.