Homeless living full time at Nichols fountain

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Homeless living full time at Nichols fountain

Post by ignatius »

I've noticed that for the last few weeks, a few groups of homeless people are living full time at Nichols fountain at Mill Creek Park.  There would be the occasional sleepover over the years but this is the first time I've seen anyone setup a permanent shop, with shopping carts and a borderline campground.  They are there round the clock.

There is now the MainCor CID security people who cruise Main.  Am surprised they let them stay.  I would normally not care but I was down at a the fountain a week ago and one of them was hassling a tourist.  Wasn't cool.  I see him there everyday now.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Homeless living full time at Nichols fountain

Post by chrizow »

i've noticed them too.  very strange.  have you seen the guy who dresses like something from "Highlander" (the movie, not the KCRag forumer)?  he is like a post-apocalyptic goth/ninja/egyptian urban warrior.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Yup, he's the one I'm talking about hassling people.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I've noticed this too.  I don't remember the permanent nature of the homeless there last summer.  I've seen sleeping bags right there on the corner as you come down Main and turn right on 47th.  Does Highwoods not own that park?  I think it's weird they let them stay if they do.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

It's Parks and Rec.  I've emailed them... parks@kcmo.org
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ignatius wrote: I would normally not care but

You 'normally would not care' about homeless people sleeping at the JC Nichols fountain?????

:shock:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Nope, happens once in a while and it's no big deal.  There's a big difference with a homeless person stopping by for the night every once in a while and one setting up permanent shop.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ignatius wrote: Nope, happens once in a while and it's no big deal.  There's a big difference with a homeless person stopping by for the night every once in a while and one setting up permanent shop.
Sorry, but I doubt even 20% of the public is ok with occasional bums sleeping out at the Nichols fountain.

GMAFB
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I'm not going to say it's OK and should be allowed, just that it's kind of expected to see a homeless person if you live in the city.  It goes with the territory.  But setting up shop is an entirely different matter.  Anywho, this is significant enough that something needs to be done.

MD, I don't think you'd last a week living in the city, any city.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

ignatius wrote: MD, I don't think you'd last a week living in the city, any city.
That's what a lot of bleeding hearts were telling Giuliani when he began his cleanup of NYC esp in regards to the homeless. 

And they were shocked to find out the public agreed with the Mayor and even re-elected him.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Well I do think we are too lenient on homeless in KC and we need stricter laws.  My comment was only to the effect that it's not surprising so I don't think much of it when a homeless person is in the city.

I get frustrated when people give change to the homeless.  They only make the problem worse. KC has a rep in homeless circles around the country that KC is 'giving' and so many come here.  Well if anyone wants to help the homeless, give to a shelter, not pocket change to them directly, which is clearly used to support drug/drinking habits in most cases - or if anything, encourages more to panhandle.

But I've looked into homeless shelters a few years ago when a friend got me involved and found few that are very effective.  Effective shelters help people support themselves and can help them develop a sense of personal responsibility.  An effective one I found is Friendship House/Catherine's Place on Gilham, but it's for women only.  The people running that place are amazing and can actually get women back on their feet, supporting themselves.  KC needs more shelters that aid homeless people out of their rut and not depend on the system.  The church ones are the worst.  They are scoring jesus points by 'giving' and proselytizing, not helping homeless be truly independent.  They essentially make it worse by helping them depend on the system.
Last edited by ignatius on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've noticed a huge increase in the number of homeless sleeping on sidewalks, benches, in doorways, etc the last couple of weeks.  Have the shelters all filled up?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The thing you have to remember about the homeless is that a good number of them come with mental health and substance abuse problems that are not easy solved.
There is no fifth destination.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

^For those cases, the commie side of me wouldn't mind if we did what Toronto does, send them to homeless communes outside the city.  If a person doesn't want to work or can't support themselves, they are sent there.  We could set one up in the KCMO area on the other side of Raytown. :)
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

BTW, if anyone wants to be involved with Friendship House...
http://friendshiphousekc.org/

You can also donate via PayPal here..
http://friendshiphousekc.org/docs/donate.asp

I was involved with them several years ago and was very impressed with how effective they can be.

Please don't ever ever give out pocket change.  Give to a shelter instead.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

scooterj wrote: I've noticed a huge increase in the number of homeless sleeping on sidewalks, benches, in doorways, etc the last couple of weeks.   Have the shelters all filled up?
Prob the economy.  When it sputters, those on the margin get pushed into desperation.

I agree with Ignatius - never give them money.  I give to 1 charity and 1 only:  City Union Mission.  Their work is superb if anyone is looking for a good cause.

kigmee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kigmee »

For several years, people have lived in the bushes on the east side of the park during summer months.  It's convenient to tourists on the Plaza and soup kitchen in Westport.

I haven't been down there lately - have they cleared out the brush?  That would make the campers a lot more visible.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

ignatius wrote: KC has a rep in homeless circles around the country that KC is 'giving' and so many come here. 
Same thing for Columbia.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I've lived along the park for many years and haven't seen anyone living in the brush consistently, maybe just once in a while for a night or two.  This is the first time I've seen a group of people permanently camped out.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC0KEK wrote: Same thing for Columbia.
Any college town.  College kids are notoriously suckers.