BATS fleas crime-ridden plaza for pastoral environs of Lenexa

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

BATS fleas crime-ridden plaza for pastoral environs of Lenexa

Post by Gretz »

It appears KCMO has lost one of its most dynamic new-economy companies to some shit-hole greenfield development in Lenexa.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... rround=lfn

Seems like a bad move for an up and coming company with lots of high-rolling visitors from expanding operations in New York, London, continental Europe and Chicago.  Wonder what the kicker was.  E-tax?  Incentives?  Employee preferences?  I hereby declare my intention not to use afterhours trading for NASDAQ stocks; and anything else I can do to boycott their wares...
Last edited by Gretz on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: BATS fleas crime-ridden plaza for pastoral environs of Lenexa

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I thought BATS was in Briarcliff not The Plaza.
Even then a curious move.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

^^^
I think you right about the location. The company was originally in North Kansas City and was started by the guy who started and still owns Tradebot, I think his name is Cummins.  The current Chairman, President and CEO of BATS use to be with LabOne in Lenexa and lives in Johnson County.  I think that explains the move, sucks just the same.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Right down the street from where I work. It's corporate hell around there, there's a ton of large businesses around that area though. In between the area of 75th and 87th on I-35 and goes back west to Quivera.
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

Current address given is:

BATS Trading, Inc.
4151 N. Mulberry Drive
Suite 275
Kansas City, MO 64116

I saw a 4100 address and assumed plaza-ish.  Guess that is a northland address though?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

yeah, the N. means 'north'
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Yes, North Mulberry is in Briarcliff.  It's just a few doors down from Kay Barnes' McMansion.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Thank Fukhouser and his band of merry idiots......They've created the anti-business, anti-development climate that currently shrouds KC.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

zonk wrote: Thank Fukhouser and his band of merry idiots......They've created the anti-business, anti-development climate that currently shrouds KC.
Anti-development - sure.  Anti-business? - that climate has prevailed in KCMO for many decades pre-funk. 
drramos101
Pad site
Pad site

Post by drramos101 »

Briarcliff is crime-ridden?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

zonk wrote: Thank Fukhouser and his band of merry idiots......They've created the anti-business, anti-development climate that currently shrouds KC.
WTF?  Those office buildings at Briarcliff are very heavily subsidized. KCMO is a national leader in business-friendly subsidies.  We could cut the subsidies in half and they would still be generous.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

Appraiser wrote:   The current Chairman, President and CEO of BATS use to be with LabOne in Lenexa and lives in Johnson County.  I think that explains the move, sucks just the same.
KCFan
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCFan »

dangerboy wrote: WTF?  Those office buildings at Briarcliff are very heavily subsidized. KCMO is a national leader in business-friendly subsidies.  We could cut the subsidies in half and they would still be generous.
Employees could care less whether the building was subsidized when you have to pay the highest income tax rate in the metro.  It doesn't help a lot of that type of worker already lives in JoCo.  If KCMO doesn't do something, they're going to have fewer and fewer white collar jobs.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

KCFan wrote: Employees could care less whether the building was subsidized when you have to pay the highest income tax rate in the metro.  It doesn't help a lot of that type of worker already lives in JoCo.  If KCMO doesn't do something, they're going to have fewer and fewer white collar jobs.
I don't dissagree about the stupidity of the tax but what I don't understand is why so many people bitch & moan about the 1% tax and then never complain about the higher state income tax in Kansas.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Easy.
While there are many complaints about the E-tax most come from those who live outside of KCMO (KS or MO) but work in KCMO.

If I work and live in KS than the choice is mine.  People might not like the tax but do feel they get something in return for payment.  On the other hand these same people may not feel that they get anything in return for the tax paid.

If I live in MO and work in KS at least I get credit for KS income taxes paid when I file for the Mo Income Tax.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Easy.
While there are many complaints about the E-tax most come from those who live outside of KCMO (KS or MO) but work in KCMO.

If I work and live in KS than the choice is mine.  People might not like the tax but do feel they get something in return for payment.  On the other hand these same people may not feel that they get anything in return for the tax paid.

If I live in MO and work in KS at least I get credit for KS income taxes paid when I file for the Mo Income Tax.
Sorry AKP but you are missing the point.  Taxes are not a choice no matter where you live.  If you chose to live in Missouri and work in Kansas you also get credit (for state taxes).  If you chose to live in Kansas or the Missouri side but do not live KCMO and work in KCMO you are receiving services (roads to work, police and fire protection etc).  You are also making the chose to work there.

Again I personally believe the tax was the dumbest thing Kansas City has ever done (this would include stupid locations for stadiums, arena, airport and etc, etc).  So again, please explain why someone would bitch and moan about a city tax but remain silent about higher state taxes.  If you could explain that I would appreciate it.  (no offense or sarcasim is intended in this post)
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Appraiser wrote: Sorry AKP but you are missing the point.  Taxes are not a choice no matter where you live. 
But you can choose where you live which many people do and where you choose to live may be influenced by the taxes and tax rates you pay.  If I choose to live in KS then I accept the taxes although I may not like the actual payment of the amount.  If I want to lower the tax bill then I have a choice to move to Peculiar, MO.

Now with regards to the e-tax I may choose not to live nor work in KCMO (afterall no one holds a gun to my head forcing me to take that KCMO job).  With that choice I may limit my job prospects and limit where I live but it is a choice one can make, and many do.

But to get back to the E-tax for KS residents.  KS residents may not gripe about the income tax rate because of the perceived value they receive for the tax and at least they can vote on the people who affect the tax rates.  On the other hand they do not vote for the government of KCMO and perceive no value for the e-tax they pay.  What they perceive is that the city is taxing them instead of its residents for services and benefits provided.  Afterall, where they live an E-tax is not imposed and they still get roads (which may be better than KCMO's), police and fire.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

Hey AKP, thanks for the explanation and for the most part I agree.  The exception that I have with your argument is that there is a percieved value to the higher tax rates in Kansas.  I know many current and former Johnson County residents and the only value that I personally have ever heard any of them speak of is the value for tax dollars to the City (O.P, Shawnee, Leawood or wherever), County (Johnson) and school districts.  These taxing jurisdictions are funded with property taxes not the higher Kansas income tax. 

We both agree that you can make choices to live and work where you want.  Having said that, lets consider the IRS employee who untill recently worked in O.P, KS and now works in KCMO.  This person is now paying the 1% earnings tax and bitching and moaning with no represention.  We also have a BATS employee who lives in KCMO and now works in Lenexa, KS and pays a higher state income tax rate with no represention but does get a less than off-setting credit.
Both people are paying taxes with no representation and similar or no benfit.  Now both employees can choose to seek new employment, however, that may not be to their advantage.

My point is that there is loud bitching and moaning coming from Kansans who work in KCMO but not so much the other way around.

P.S.  The one with a choice in this situation was Joe at BATS and apparently he would rather live in Kansas with a higher state tax and shorter commute and avoid the Kansas City E-Tax.
Last edited by Appraiser on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Appraiser wrote: We also have a BATS employee who lives in KCMO and now works in Lenexa, KS and pays a higher state income tax rate with no represention but does get a less than off-setting credit.
Just to clarify, the credit for taxes paid to other states only covers what your MO liability would have been on the same income.  You are still paying the full amount of the difference between the KS and MO rates. 
Appraiser
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Appraiser »

lock+load wrote: Just to clarify, the credit for taxes paid to other states only covers what your MO liability would have been on the same income.  You are still paying the full amount of the difference between the KS and MO rates. 
Thanks for the clarification, thats what I meant. :)