Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Riverite
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 183
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Westport

Post by Riverite » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:13 am

Darlene wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:48 am
I think they are making a good choice there. It will be good for traffic to add more parking in there.
Just out of curiousity what part of town do you live in, and how often do you visit that part of westport.

Darlene
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Westport

Post by Darlene » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 am

I live in Lenexa. I go into Westport from time to time. To attract more people and tourists they need more parking. That stretch of highway gets very backed up also so I would add another lane going each way.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Westport

Post by flyingember » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:13 am

Darlene wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:31 am
I live in Lenexa. I go into Westport from time to time. To attract more people and tourists they need more parking. That stretch of highway gets very backed up also so I would add another lane going each way.
Clearly you're wrong.

We all know developments build more parking than they need, it's why the Plaza can support the 100,000 people that go to the art fair, so logically instead they need to tear down some parking and put in more shops and offices.

AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 330
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:52 am

Re: Westport

Post by AlbertHammond » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:01 am

Darlene wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:48 am
I think they are making a good choice there. It will be good for traffic to add more parking in there.
...and we all know "what's good for traffic is good for the city". At least that's what I read in my 1970's city building manual. ;-)

User avatar
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Westport

Post by wahoowa » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:36 am

he's a troll, y'all

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7123
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Westport

Post by flyingember » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:28 am

wahoowa wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:36 am
he's a troll, y'all
Why do you think I aimed for the exact opposite thing from what they said?

User avatar
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Westport

Post by wahoowa » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 pm

johnny kaws says they're opening four new locations in westport over the next several months. i have not been to johnny kaws and am too lazy to google which addresses these are. with names like shot stop and bomb bar, i will probably abstain.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyKaws/status/1 ... 4637071360

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16919
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by DaveKCMO » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:44 pm

wahoowa wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 pm
johnny kaws says they're opening four new locations in westport over the next several months. i have not been to johnny kaws and am too lazy to google which addresses these are. with names like shot stop and bomb bar, i will probably abstain.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyKaws/status/1 ... 4637071360
This is the most tone deaf business expansion in the history of commerce.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28949
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by KCPowercat » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm

This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3472
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:32 am

I wandered in to Johnny Kaws the first day they were open. It was terrible - seemed very "shot" focused. I generally forget it's there.

I hope they do a good job remodeling the spaces for Bomb Bar and Shot Stop so the next places that open there have less work to do. Nice to see a focus on binge drinking establishments, though. Can't wait.

User avatar
smh
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3084
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:40 pm
Location: Central Loop

Re: Westport

Post by smh » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:31 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:44 pm
wahoowa wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:41 pm
johnny kaws says they're opening four new locations in westport over the next several months. i have not been to johnny kaws and am too lazy to google which addresses these are. with names like shot stop and bomb bar, i will probably abstain.

https://twitter.com/JohnnyKaws/status/1 ... 4637071360
This is the most tone deaf business expansion in the history of commerce.
Is it tone deaf though? To us, sure. But I'm not sure that the market isn't looking forward to Westport's full conversion to party palace. My secret hope is that Ca va and maybe Port Fonda will say "enough" and move to Armour and Troost to help jump start an exciting revived business district.

swid
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 333
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm
Location: Financial District

Re: Westport

Post by swid » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:35 am

This prediction seems a lot more likely, given that a future location of the Johnny Kaw's empire is Char Bar's address.
tower wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am
My long shot guess is that Char Bar will either temporarily or permanently move to McCoy's/Sailor Jack's space, using the currently parking lot as a lawn. This would let Char Bar to be unaffected by the construction noise, particulates, etc. from the Westport Manor project. The construction crew could use the lawn as a material staging area, or the developer could modify the plans so that the Char Bar building and lawn goes away, in which case Char Bar will stay in the McCoy's/Sailor Jack's space.

earthling
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 4676
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Westport

Post by earthling » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:41 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm
This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.
Is unfortunate to see Westport head back toward catering to the obnoxious party crowd. When P&L opened, Westport was gearing towards 30+ and a Midtown neighborhood center. Not good to see this direction, especially with new residential development closer in. But also not surprising to see such cycles every 10 years or so.

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:24 pm
Location: North Plaza

Re: Westport

Post by alejandro46 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 am

swid wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:35 am
This prediction seems a lot more likely, given that a future location of the Johnny Kaw's empire is Char Bar's address.
tower wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:43 am
My long shot guess is that Char Bar will either temporarily or permanently move to McCoy's/Sailor Jack's space, using the currently parking lot as a lawn. This would let Char Bar to be unaffected by the construction noise, particulates, etc. from the Westport Manor project. The construction crew could use the lawn as a material staging area, or the developer could modify the plans so that the Char Bar building and lawn goes away, in which case Char Bar will stay in the McCoy's/Sailor Jack's space.
Jonny Kaw's tweeted they are not moving into Char Bar:
Just to clarify, we are not expanding into the Char Bar, McCoy’s or Sailor Jack’s.

4050 Pennsylvania is broken into many suites. We are expanding into the suite next to our Johnny Kaw’s at 504 Westport road.

We hope Char Bar is here forever, great business, great people!

User avatar
rxlexi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1968
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:30 pm
Location: City Market

Re: Westport

Post by rxlexi » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18 am

This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.
Agree. Amazing that river market is running into archaic limitations on drinking establishments (per market thread) and Westport continues to slide back into generic sports bar oblivion with a shitty college-esque dive on every corner. And I understand that I'm getting old etc; I don't mind a ton of bars, per se, but at least work at it and give the city some creative boozing options here. Or put a couple of these on the east side of Broadway to spread "Westport" around a bit.

User avatar
WSPanic
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3472
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:28 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm
This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.
Plenty of great options still there - even with these crappy new additions. If you don't like it - don't go. It's still a neighborhood destination for some of us. It's annoying on Friday/Saturday nights throughout the summer, but so are a lot of places. The rest of the time, it's still good.

User avatar
chaglang
Hotel President
Hotel President
Posts: 3373
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Re: Westport

Post by chaglang » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:30 am

Maybe it will be safer if the shots cause everyone to pass out faster?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 16919
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by DaveKCMO » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:33 am

It's important to note that Westport is a big liquor policy conundrum for the city. There's a carveout for density of liquor licenses -- which is at its peak -- so moving bars to other neighborhoods would mean they'd be replaced by more bars because of the perceived demand (and TBH few neighborhoods really want more tavern licenses). Current ownership doesn't appear to be interested in changing the vibe. The bars that are there generate good sales tax revenue and the CID -- for all of its faults -- takes a lot of the stress off of the city.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4461
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:44 pm

No need to worry about “Westport”, like it is just bounded by the traditional views of what that means. If Johnny Kaws puts dumb concept bars in the old places, what the neighborhood really wants will just jump Broadway and leave “Westport” behind. There are plenty of buildings to the east, on Main, 39th St...

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 28949
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Westport

Post by KCPowercat » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 pm

WSPanic wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:28 am
KCPowercat wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm
This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.
Plenty of great options still there - even with these crappy new additions. If you don't like it - don't go. It's still a neighborhood destination for some of us. It's annoying on Friday/Saturday nights throughout the summer, but so are a lot of places. The rest of the time, it's still good.
I like it. I want to like it more. I don't like this direction of bars with announcements like this and their leadership have taken which I feel are very bad for the neighborhood. Places like cava can't survive if this is the direction all the bars are going.

I don't think the "don't like it don't go" is very productive.

Post Reply