Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by AJoD »

beautyfromashes wrote: I visited a pig farm once.  Pigs penned up shoulder to shoulder walking in their own piss, trampling each other and looking for something to bang.  Stunk. Enjoy yourself.
It's interesting to me how much what I'm guessing are long(ish)time KC residents' opinion of what makes up Westport differs from mine, a now-two-year transplant.

I really like Westport, and I've never been to Kelly's, Harpo's, America's Pub, Buzzard Beach, or anyplace that seemed like a shithole.

To me, Westport is Pryde's, a local library, a local post office, Murray's, bluestem, Westport Flea Market, Spivey's, Harry's Bar and Tables, a cool hat shop, McCoy's, Korma Sutra, Thai Place...at least off the top of my head.  I know Westport must have some "reinventing" to do, given its reputation, but really, there's a lot there that doesn't cater to the frat crowd.  What I hear about Westport does not at all match what I've seen, which leads me to believe the reinvention really needs to happen between 11pm and 3am two nights a week, but it seems there is really a lot of quality in place.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

cover charge
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AJoD wrote: It's interesting to me how much what I'm guessing are long(ish)time KC residents' opinion of what makes up Westport differs from mine, a now-two-year transplant.

I really like Westport, and I've never been to Kelly's, Harpo's, America's Pub, Buzzard Beach, or anyplace that seemed like a shithole.

To me, Westport is Pryde's, a local library, a local post office, Murray's, bluestem, Westport Flea Market, Spivey's, Harry's Bar and Tables, a cool hat shop, McCoy's, Korma Sutra, Thai Place...at least off the top of my head.  I know Westport must have some "reinventing" to do, given its reputation, but really, there's a lot there that doesn't cater to the frat crowd.  What I hear about Westport does not at all match what I've seen, which leads me to believe the reinvention really needs to happen between 11pm and 3am two nights a week, but it seems there is really a lot of quality in place.
I value your view a lot here AJ, and agree with you.  It's the same for me, although I am a lifetime resident.  I have been to Harpo's once when I turned 21, same goes for Am Pub, Buzz Beach, and even Have a Nice Day Cafe back in the day.  Haven't been in 5 years.  I patronize many of the places you mentioned and even though they seem to have the majority, there are a small handfull of places that seem to get all the credit for giving Westport it's reputation.  There are countless places which you've named that for me, what going there is all about.  I am perfectly fine with charging for parking for these few places, since Pryde's, Library, etc are not open at the times Westport seems to have the most people in it's boundaries.  Hopefully this won't affect my ability to easily go to Korma Sutra to Thai Place, because I freakin love those restaurants.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Westport isn't what it used to be.  Thank God! Get rid of or change a few of the places that have the Arrowhead-bathroom-at-halftime-feel and this will truly be my favorite place in the city.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

AJoD wrote: It's interesting to me how much what I'm guessing are long(ish)time KC residents' opinion of what makes up Westport differs from mine, a now-two-year transplant.

Ditto, I agree entirely, as a newer resident.  America's Pub?  That's not my kind of joint, no matter where it's located.  And it (and others like it) are definitely not synonymous with Westport, in my head, as a newer resident to KC. Like you, my Westport experience doesn't really match what is the stereotype of Westport that I read and hear.  When I think "frat crowd," certain other areas come to mind, to be honest. Reputations are reputations, granted, but they don't mean much to those of us newer to the area, at least not to me.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

There used to be 2-3 big dance clubs, and for most folks Westport was the only option for a night out dancing and drinking. 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I tend to view Westport along the same lines as AJoD and others.  I rarely venture into the Harpo's of the world, never been to AP.  Harpo's in fact, was a great place to watch the Mizzou-OK game last year in a rowdy college environment...took me back to my Columbia days.  For the record, Buzzard Beach is an uber-hipster bar, the few times I've been, despite the name.  Westport, in my opinion, needs to reach back into its past and recapture some the bohemian flair it once relied upon...more local retail would be nice, and the replacement of a AP/Karma/Ernie Biggs with something a little more low-key (maybe even divey?) or some additional restaurants/delis.

One of my biggest beefs, and a very easy fix, is the lack of connection across Broadway to the east and down Westport Road to the west (i.e. towards PotPie, etc.).  The intersection at Broadway should have large, clearly marked pedestrian xwalks and timed LED walk signals on the stoplights...such a simple fix could go a long way towards helping people realize the Westport extends across Broadway.  To the west, some infill and a few popular bars/eating places would help dramatically to pull people down Westport Road.  We'll see what in happens in the near future, but I really love Westport and feel it's on the right track again now that P&L is forcing a bit of change (ironically).
are we spinning free?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

rxlexi wrote: I tend to view Westport along the same lines as AJoD and others.  I rarely venture into the Harpo's of the world, never been to AP.  Harpo's in fact, was a great place to watch the Mizzou-OK game last year in a rowdy college environment...took me back to my Columbia days.  For the record, Buzzard Beach is an uber-hipster bar, the few times I've been, despite the name.  Westport, in my opinion, needs to reach back into its past and recapture some the bohemian flair it once relied upon...more local retail would be nice, and the replacement of a AP/Karma/Ernie Biggs with something a little more low-key (maybe even divey?) or some additional restaurants/delis.

One of my biggest beefs, and a very easy fix, is the lack of connection across Broadway to the east and down Westport Road to the west (i.e. towards PotPie, etc.).  The intersection at Broadway should have large, clearly marked pedestrian xwalks and timed LED walk signals on the stoplights...such a simple fix could go a long way towards helping people realize the Westport extends across Broadway.  To the west, some infill and a few popular bars/eating places would help dramatically to pull people down Westport Road.  We'll see what in happens in the near future, but I really love Westport and feel it's on the right track again now that P&L is forcing a bit of change (ironically).
Great point about Broadway intersection and access to the east side of Westport Rd. The intersection at SW Trafficway is a similar border in my mind. Would be great to have more accessibility to the Rudy's/Boozefish/Record Bar side of Westport as well.

What did we end up doing with those gondolas from the light rail election? Could kill two birds with one stone here.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think charging for parking on privately owned lots in Westport is a great idea, especially if the proceeds go towards maintainence of the area, which I suspect they mostly will.  People should be discouraged from driving to and from bars anyway - and parking costs might force a few drunken Kansas Citians to start riding bicycles and transit and using taxi services.  I also agree with the sentiments concerning the character in Westport - for the most part, it is like any urban neighborhood in the country - a dynamic collection of eclectic businesses and local bars and restaurants in a residential section of the city, complete with a handful of panhandlers and streetwalkers.  The "party time" weekend atmosphere in this part of town is dying or long dead - and its stable, residential quality is shining through...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

WSPanic wrote: Great point about Broadway intersection and access to the east side of Westport Rd. The intersection at SW Trafficway is a similar border in my mind. Would be great to have more accessibility to the Rudy's/Boozefish/Record Bar side of Westport as well.
Great thoughts. That intersection is a bit of a cluster****.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

roundabout.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

voltopt wrote:   I also agree with the sentiments concerning the character in Westport - for the most part, it is like any urban neighborhood in the country - a dynamic collection of eclectic businesses and local bars and restaurants in a residential section of the city, complete with a handful of panhandlers and streetwalkers.  The "party time" weekend atmosphere in this part of town is dying or long dead - and its stable, residential quality is shining through...
i agree.  "westport at 1:45am on a friday in july 1997" is not really the reality of westport - it is just one facet of the neighborhood.  more than anything it is an eclectic retail, commercial, and entertainment area.  westport isn't just america's pub, the bunker, or a check cashing place - it's all of those things.  more than most places in this city, it's a community gathering place for many different demographics, some of which have been more problematic than others.  for me, westport still has the funky bohemian vibe that i grew up with, before i really understood it also happened to be party central. 

the power and light district is more "fratty" or whatever you want to call a district primarily aimed at drinking than westport has ever been - without the organic "neighborhood" aspect to it that westport has had.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

Good grief-even I love Westport. My McCoy's lunch today was dandy as usual.

Seemed like there weren't so many folks there as usual, but the food was great.

I'm quite like AJOd and frequent the places he/she mentioned. I love the theater there too, but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. I've seen lots of great movies there.

I've been to parties a few years back in that place across from McCoys with the 2 story glass-that was great as well. It's too bad it can't seem to stay in business.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

nota wrote: I love the theater there too, but for the life of me I can't think of the name of it. I've seen lots of great movies there.
Tivoli
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I'd also add One80 to the list of non-fratty fun spots.  Very nice small plates but not too dressed up.

And there's also a Vietnamese place that we keep meaning to try, if we can ever get past the Thai Place and Korma Sutra.  Has anyone been there?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Went to P+L, then Westport last Thursday while in town.  The P+L was crowded with some festival and so we went to flying saucer.  It's cool how it opens to the street and how many beers they have.  My friend thought it seemed like a TGIFridays.  I can see what he meant.  We headed to Westport, closer to home.  It was DEAD.  Granted it was only about 10 on a thursday night, still the contrast was huge.  We went to Harry's (my favorite bar) and proceeded to get pretty drunk.  As we live close by, we walked back home to Roanoke.  It was much safer than driving intoxicated.  Westport is becoming a local's destination.  I like its new quietness.  Oh yeah, and some cops were standing outside America's Pub trying to get us to go in to play video games.  Lame.  I wonder why the cops are touting a Bar?  Hope to see it close soon...
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I have been to the vietnamese place near korma sutra once,and only once.  The food was good, if a little forgettable.  In that neighborhood, I'll choose Korma or Thai Place any time, and for Vietnamese, it's got to be Vietnam Cafe on 39th & Rainbow.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

Midtownkid wrote: Westport is becoming a local's destination.  I like its new quietness. 
True, and I love it!  I'm far more a fan of the chill, bohemian vibe fan than the party central vibe.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

yeah!  Oh, I noticed that ReRuns has taken over the old Zowie space.  A good fit for keeping Westport cool.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Infill!

I mean it! INFILL!

INFILL DAMMIT.

If I won the powerball, I'd fiendishly seize control of city planning/zoning, throw the IDIOTIC, MEDIEVAL parking requirements into an OUTHOUSE at 213th and Antioch, and then develop all those scarred areas in Westport. SOO much potential, and so little of it actually realized.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit