Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote:I honestly think anti density people would rather see the neighborhood completely rot, a ghost land/shell of a place as long as it preserves that historic feel
The historic feel like Times Square once had with prostitution and crime?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

flyingember wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:I honestly think anti density people would rather see the neighborhood completely rot, a ghost land/shell of a place as long as it preserves that historic feel
I'd rather take 1970's Deuce Crime then what we have today. I'm fine with sleazy, divey kind of crime where most of it is done by Mobsters, an occasional knife robber and the Prostitutes and Cops have a relationship. An occasional guy with a with a knife down an alley saying "Give me your money" is a relief compared to what we have to deal with today. People are being gunned down in parking lots for looking at people the wrong way or staring at a girlfriend in a bar or even for making fun of somebody.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
flyingember wrote:
I'd rather take 1970's Deuce Crime then what we have today. I'm fine with sleazy, divey kind of crime where most of it is done by Mobsters, an occasional knife robber and the Prostitutes and Cops have a relationship. An occasional guy with a with a knife down an alley saying "Give me your money" is a relief compared to what we have to deal with today. People are being gunned down in parking lots for looking at people the wrong way or staring at a girlfriend in a bar or even for making fun of somebody.
I think you over romanticize the violence of the 1970's. Forgetting the bombings and people with gunshots found dead in their own trunk (the cute mob stuff you don't seem to mind), KC murders and aggravated assaults were way up in the mid 70's compared to the decade before. This was NOT just random knife crimes - these were assualts and murders. I'm not saying shit isn't a bit more messed up today, but let's not over romanticize what happened here in the 70's and 80's. It wasn't exactly pretty.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

The U.S. murder rate in the 70s was almost double what it is now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:The U.S. murder rate in the 70s was almost double what it is now.
That war on drugs might actually be working!
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:The U.S. murder rate in the 70s was almost double what it is now.
That war on drugs might actually be working!
Many people have tied the drop in the murder rate to the US supreme court decision on abortion. If you look at when the murder rate started to decline and how precipitous the decline was, that argument does make some sense.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... 1980-peak/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Yeah, lead. It correlates across several countries rather than Abortion which only correlates to the USA.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Also a strong correlation with the end of the OPEC Oil Embargo. ;-)
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Wasn't sure where to put this one....I guess the Westport is close enough.

Anyone know why this building is currently being demoed? This city is getting knocked down faster than it is being built up.
https://goo.gl/maps/fodpk8xnQF32
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Shit I thought they were just fixing the roof?

But if they’re demoing it it’s probably for even more parking because the true spirit of Kansad City is an overweight white male with BBQ stains on his Charlie Hustle shirt as he chugs a gallon of gasoline.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The old three story apartment?!? I'm all for the BOA building going, but I'll be pretty pissed if this goes. Wonder if there are any plans for replacing it? And didn't the moratorium take effect or does it not go all the way to Main? Historic KC is gonna go nuts.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this one....I guess the Westport is close enough.

Anyone know why this building is currently being demoed? This city is getting knocked down faster than it is being built up.
isn't this an office complex for sutherland's lumber?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The owner shows up as "Cimarron Lumber & Supply Company" on Parcel Viewer. Building Demo Permit was issued on 11/15.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:The owner shows up as "Cimarron Lumber & Supply Company" on Parcel Viewer. Building Demo Permit was issued on 11/15.
aka sutherland's.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Yeah, that’s disgusting!
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

mgh7676 wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this one....I guess the Westport is close enough.

Photo taken this morning...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Ghost towns are historic too.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlbertHammond wrote:

Photo taken this morning...
i tweeted your image to raise visibility. hope you don't mind!
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Is it my imagination or do those buildings look to be in good shape and well maintained?