Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote: This sounds like a plan to run a few businesses out.  I really think the Westport businesses want to get rid of the party crowd and recreate themselves.  The crowd that doesn't park until after 8 on a Friday or Saturday is just looking for a party atmosphere.  I'd say Harpo's, Kelly's, America's Pub, etc. are the targets.  "Get a higher-end product or you're out."
I don't think Westport is trying to drive Kelly's out. Or Harpo's for that matter. And I really don't see how charging $5 for parking is going to accomplish that.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Westport will begin charging $2-5 for parking starting at 8:00 pm on Fri/Sat.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/16388365/detail.html

Is this a good move?  Will people just stay home if they don't want to pay for parking?
I already go to Westport on foot, so it doesn't faze me. Finding parking was always a PITA, free or no, so being on foot has always been a more attractive option (especially when drinking).  I'll still go to a neighborhood closer to home for my going out, versus Zona Rosa or Legends or anything like that, anyway.  Hell, for me, one of the biggest side perks of moving to a city is not HAVING TO drive everywhere for entertainment.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I am thinking more and more that someone is just trying to rake in some extra dough for the mere fact that it doesn't seem to be hindering P&L, so why not capture what people are willing to pay in westport.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Is it the Westport Association behind this or the owners of the lots?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Westport needs to come up with a new attitude, taken over by midtown residents, and alienates the suburbadroids.

Some art student needs to come up with quirky "I fk'n Westport" stickers or somethin.  I'll donated the idea to the public domain.  Make it happen... or something that gives Westport some new identity.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I saw that major work is going on inside the old Tizers location.  Couldn't tell what it was from the name on the building permit, but it sounds like offices.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KCLofts wrote: I saw that major work is going on inside the old Tizers location.  Couldn't tell what it was from the name on the building permit, but it sounds like offices.
Local radio stations I believe. Can't remember who exactly.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ignatius wrote: Westport needs to come up with a new attitude, taken over by midtown residents, and alienates the suburbadroids.

Some art student needs to come up with quirky "I fk'n Westport" stickers or somethin.  I'll donated the idea to the public domain.  Make it happen... or something that gives Westport some new identity.
louisville had a grassroots campaign to "keep louisville weird" (or maybe it was their westport-like area that just used the phrase). regardless, it stuck!
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I thought that was Austin's slogan?
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

NDTeve wrote: I thought that was Austin's slogan?
I thought it was started in Boulder?
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

ignatius wrote: I'll donated...
I've got to proof read my posts. 

Then... an underground street campaign, placing these bumper stickers, or bicycle stickers or whatever on stop signs throughout midtown.. with some subliminal messages that tell outsiders to stay out. A territorial message that implies, "Westport is ours now and we don't need you."  If it backfires and suburbadroids come back, then we take their shoes off and throw them over powerlines.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

ignatius wrote: I've got to proof read my posts. 

Then... an underground street campaign, placing these bumper stickers, or bicycle stickers or whatever on stop signs throughout midtown.. with some subliminal messages that tell outsiders to stay out. A territorial message that implies, "Westport is ours now and we don't need you."   If it backfires and suburbadroids come back, then we take their shoes off and throw them over powerlines.
Suburbadroids? Really? We're doing that again. Great.

I happen to like the mix of people you generally get in Westport. Or, do you think the ironic shirt wearing, PBR drinking, welding-two-bike-frames together crowd is really going to keep Blanc open year-round? Or Matsu? Or Californos? And we should probably start kicking dirt on all the families that go to Murray's too. They suck. And the old people at Blaney's - they have to go too.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I guess it's necessary to use &&& .  Yo, there's a hint of sarcasm there.  But just a little bit.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Westport will begin charging $2-5 for parking starting at 8:00 pm on Fri/Sat.
Maybe with the nice weather coming up it will help curtail the carloads of people who are too young to drink and just come to Westport to park and hang out all night.  Last year this was a problem from time to time - I live down 39th from Westport and it sucked having people just having parties in the Sunfresh parking lot all weekend long.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

so, will the sunfresh lot be charging also?  that store is open 24/7, so that might create some problems, unless they just consistently let people in that say they're "going to the grocery store", a la dangerboy.
are we spinning free?
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

beautyfromashes wrote: This sounds like a plan to run a few businesses out.  I really think the Westport businesses want to get rid of the party crowd and recreate themselves.  The crowd that doesn't park until after 8 on a Friday or Saturday is just looking for a party atmosphere.  I'd say Harpo's, Kelly's, America's Pub, etc. are the targets.  "Get a higher-end product or you're out."
Westport, as an entity, is nothing more than the bars and restuarants within its boundaries.  As such, it's kind of silly to say that "Westport" wants to get rid of Harpo's or Kelly's.  I mean, Kelly's is Westport.  Without Kelly's or Harpo's there is no Westport to speak of.  Think about it.  Who's gonna tell Kelly's to up the ante or pack their bags?  Kelly's has been the oldest, most reliable tenant in that shithole district.  Without them, who know where WP sould be?       
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

KC-wildcat wrote: Westport, as an entity, is nothing more than the bars and restuarants within its boundaries.  As such, it's kind of silly to say that "Westport" wants to get rid of Harpo's or Kelly's.  I mean, Kelly's is Westport.  Without Kelly's or Harpo's there is no Westport to speak of.  Think about it.  Who's gonna tell Kelly's to up the ante or pack their bags?  Kelly's has been the oldest, most reliable tenant in that shithole district.  Without them, who know where WP sould be?       
Exactly.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

I don't think it's so much a goal to run actual businesses out so much as to start slightly changing the clientele who visit Westport.  The article has a quote saying they're trying to cut down on cruising, which supports this.  Also, when is the last time another Kelly's or America's Pub opened?  We've seen more higher-end places (Blanc, condo building, etc) open than yellow-beer in the last few years.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC-wildcat wrote: Westport, as an entity, is nothing more than the bars and restuarants within its boundaries.  As such, it's kind of silly to say that "Westport" wants to get rid of Harpo's or Kelly's.  I mean, Kelly's is Westport.  Without Kelly's or Harpo's there is no Westport to speak of.  Think about it.  Who's gonna tell Kelly's to up the ante or pack their bags?  Kelly's has been the oldest, most reliable tenant in that shithole district.  Without them, who know where WP sould be?       
I visited a pig farm once.  Pigs penned up shoulder to shoulder walking in their own piss, trampling each other and looking for something to bang.  Stunk. Enjoy yourself.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kard wrote: I don't think it's so much a goal to run actual businesses out so much as to start slightly changing the clientele who visit Westport.  The article has a quote saying they're trying to cut down on cruising, which supports this.  Also, when is the last time another Kelly's or America's Pub opened?  We've seen more higher-end places (Blanc, condo building, etc) open than yellow-beer in the last few years.
Dress code!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag