Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Westport

Post by chaglang »

GouldEvans' move to 4200 Pennsylvania: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ffice.html
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Gould Evans move seems like an unfortunate use of that building, relative to the retail build-out that was previously discussed. That end of Pennsylvania could use more energy, and with St. Luke's vacating that office space it seemed like a good opportunity to switch to a more active use on the quiet end of Pennsylvania.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

4200 is a dead back end corner of the neighborhood. It would be a really bad spot to put retail.

Given there's tons of parking without teardowns keep it all as office space so there's customers around to go to the existing retail spaces.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

rxlexi wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:33 pm Gould Evans move seems like an unfortunate use of that building, relative to the retail build-out that was previously discussed. That end of Pennsylvania could use more energy, and with St. Luke's vacating that office space it seemed like a good opportunity to switch to a more active use on the quiet end of Pennsylvania.
On the other hand, Westport doesn't have to be a shitshow everywhere. But my guess is that the shitshow will eventually make its way down Pennsylvania regardless of what happens with this building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Westport Plan Public Meeting on Oct. 23: https://www.facebook.com/events/297607444409391/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

SHS moving from Crossroads to Westport:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -move.html

Former Gould Evans space.

Nowhere to park in the Crossroads! People won't take the bus or carpool even if you pay them!

Actually seems like it should be a solid move for them, and for Westport. Curious what next use will be for the old building in Crossroads.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:41 am Curious what next use will be for the old building in Crossroads.
I thought that building was still owned by DST, but it looks like it was part of recent sale...

Crossroads I Rollup LLC
55 Fifth Ave Fl 15
New York, NY 10003
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does KCATA have something like a sales team to work with downtown companies to provide company subsidized monthly bus passes? And monthly bus passes now include free 60min bikeshare rides. Bus passes are $40/month at my company; they are willing to do this to cut back on parking spaces needed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am Does KCATA have something like a sales team to work with downtown companies to provide company subsidized monthly bus passes? And monthly bus passes now include free 60min bikeshare rides. Bus passes are $40/month at my company; they are willing to do this to cut back on parking spaces needed.
Trying to build a team for that, but the drop in ridership/revenue makes adding staff kind of difficult.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 am
earthling wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:56 am Does KCATA have something like a sales team to work with downtown companies to provide company subsidized monthly bus passes? And monthly bus passes now include free 60min bikeshare rides. Bus passes are $40/month at my company; they are willing to do this to cut back on parking spaces needed.
Trying to build a team for that, but the drop in ridership/revenue makes adding staff kind of difficult.
Maybe flyers or some way to inform businesses alternative ways to cut need for parking. Should promoting biz to subsidize bus passes be a hot button item with downtown orgs? If can help if biz and their employees know about it.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

Good to see the Westport streetscape extended to 39th Street on Broadway.

AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

By the way....one of my favorite parts of Westport is the original 1800's limestone curbs on 39th Terrace between Pennsylvania & Washington streets. Sometimes, its the little things...

Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

What’s going on with the project replacing the bank at Westport and Broadway. Also the one above char bar?
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

The BofA replacement building by Opus is in full-go mode, building foundations. The CAD project next to Manor Square is....(sound of crickets).
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Westport Manor Square was approved back Summary of 2017. Nothing else since then. It's a major project in a city with a lot of inventory coming online. Wouldn't be surprised if they were having financing issues.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/14402
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Thanks for the pics!

Bit of a side note, but I've been thinking about this recently - does any know the history of the blue and white street name tiles? At one point were all streets marked with these tiles?

I grew up near Brookside where many streets had these, and they've actually been replaced in large parts of those neighborhoods, but not in many others throughout the city.

The only other city I've seen them in is New Orleans. Love seeing them return in modern streetscape projects such as above.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 pm Westport Plan Public Meeting on Oct. 23: https://www.facebook.com/events/297607444409391/
Damn - I thought today was the 23rd!! Did anyone attend?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:33 am
DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:54 pm Westport Plan Public Meeting on Oct. 23: https://www.facebook.com/events/297607444409391/
Damn - I thought today was the 23rd!! Did anyone attend?
I did. Here's how it went:

1) Overly long PowerPoint to explain three "areas" -- Westport/Penn, Broadway/Mill, and neighborhoods -- each with their own recommended forms, materials, "grain", height.
2) Cranky people ask "questions" which is really a chance to waste everyone's time with tirades about chains, parking, Opus, streetcar.
3) Turn all attendees in to city planners approving or rejecting sample infill buildings.
4) I left out of boredom.

Honestly, I can't believe the meeting was conducted this way. If you want feedback, make people write it down on their own time at a table. Don't waste my time giving voice to every crank who could make the two hour commitment to bog the process down. I want the information and to provide my feedback. And don't get me started on making everyone think they are qualified to review/approve development plans...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

And don't get me started on making everyone think they are qualified to review/approve development plans..
This is unfortunate. Also, not a big fan of segmenting Westport, or most neighborhoods, into "areas". We need to think more holistically about integrating residential and commercial, not continued reliance on separate uses and standards. You know, like a real city.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:48 am
And don't get me started on making everyone think they are qualified to review/approve development plans..
This is unfortunate. Also, not a big fan of segmenting Westport, or most neighborhoods, into "areas".
The city was designed as areas.

Each addition to the city came with different development patterns depending on when a developer took a farm and parceled it out.