Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Westport

Post by KCPowercat »

I oddly don't have a problem with it. Maybe because I've been so disconnected with that neighborhood that it's not worth me caring about any more? 3 floors does seem to be their typical style. I'd say 5 stories would be a better height.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It will be as strictly adhered to as all the other plans in the city.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New Westport Master Plan Calls for Shorter Buildings, Wider Sidewalks

https://cityscenekc.com/new-westport-ma ... sidewalks/
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

3 story residential limit is pretty shortsighted
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 12:25 pm I oddly don't have a problem with it. Maybe because I've been so disconnected with that neighborhood that it's not worth me caring about any more? 3 floors does seem to be their typical style. I'd say 5 stories would be a better height.
Well for better or worse with all the new apartments and Kaw's taking over it's going to be the college party district. Such a same in between the Plaza/Westport was never developed could have been something special IMO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah it bums me out but I've kind of had the will best out of me with the leadership in that neighborhood and nobody in city hall caring enough to stand up.to them.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

I think it is interesting how often people talk about Westport this way. I have lived in KC for 7 years and almost never go to WP at night - though I have been coming here during the day for years. I see it as a thriving daytime district. Maybe I am an optimist?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

marieantoinette wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 3:44 pm I think it is interesting how often people talk about Westport this way. I have lived in KC for 7 years and almost never go to WP at night - though I have been coming here during the day for years. I see it as a thriving daytime district. Maybe I am an optimist?
I think it does good but could be better. Once PNL opened there were a few years where things didnt look good for Westport lots of empty spaces and such. It came roaring back as a bar district for awhile with a twist as a daytime spot too. I think there was a lot of debate on what it should turn into moving forward. Anyway moving forward what happened is it didn't turn into more of a day spot or a place for the 30+ crowd at night. it's going to be more like Manhattan or Lawrence with Kaw's buying most of the bars.

Now of course I don't see all their concepts surviving and we'll be back to having debates. i'm still not as down on Westport as many on here might be. There are still some of my favorite bars in town in Westport (Harrys, Gambals, Californos, and Fidels cigar shop)
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

I could definitely see it operating as a daytime spot in the future. There are already a good amount of daytime people in the neighborhood, as I witness every day.. But OPUS will bring more residents, and Manor Square will have an office of 200 new employees when SHS moves in (and could have more residents if that apartment project ever actually happens). Main Street now allows 10-15 stories of height - a lifetime of development potential. And the plan calls for more height along Broadway than what is currently allowed (6 stories). These are all opportunities for more density of residential and office uses that can help support the small businesses in the neighborhood.

As for it only being a "bar district", I guess I just don't see it that way. Sure, that's definitely very common in the neighborhood, but during the day it is really a special place that offers an array of businesses that I use regularly because it's convenient. I'd love to see more residential to support those businesses, though.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

I'm thinking of Soulard in STL. Plenty of residential that is integrated all throughout the district through diverse housing types.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I avoid Westport on Friday and Saturdays between 10p and 3a - unless I'm seeing something at the Riot Room or Saloon that keeps me there later. It's perfectly fine the rest of the week.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Totally agree. I'll go see some of Californos shows. But if I am in Westport late at night on a weekend, it is probably by a cruel act of fate.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The entire district isn't capped at three stories, just key sections.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:21 pm It will be as strictly adhered to as all the other plans in the city.
:lol:
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 pm The entire district isn't capped at three stories, just key sections.

I think this is great. Protect the historic area's character and allow larger development on the larger thoroughfares. Makes sense.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^Agreed. Although I’m skeptical that a developer following that plan won’t get hassled by the Nopus crowd anyway.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah, I don't have a problem with this. I do think its funny that they didn't even grandfather in the Opus project.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

3 stories along Westport road doesn't bother me, but I don't understand why they would leave Central and Wyandotte at "neighborhood 3 stories". The sections of these streets currently with houses are next to the Main Street Overlay 10 stories and the current parking lots and vacant lots closer to Westport road seem more likely to develop into apartments.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yeah. I thought that was a weird transition too, but I think that difference is stark enough that any reasonable council will allow an exception if a development were ever presented.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

3 stories along 39th street and the western half of 43rd is too restrictive. "Neighborhood zone" on 39th consists of car washes, a body shop, dilapadated 60s era professional office buildings. Nothing worth preserving architecturally or scale-wise. They did make the proposal to replace one of the car washes with a five story residential project non-conforming