Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Westport

Post by alejandro46 »

Last edited by alejandro46 on Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Went to the soft opening of Sailor Jack's (previously The Foundry) over the weekend. Tried three apps: tempura oyster mushrooms (mushrooms lost in a bit too much breading, but amazing dipping sauce), fried clams (bit too salty) and crab hushpuppies (we all agreed these were fantastic). Crab Louie is something we would all go back for during warmer months. Clam chowder a bit thick and too smokey for two of us, while the other thought it was perfect. Lobster rolls were solid, but didn't knock our socks off. Two types of fish and chips (frites) that were very good. Lastly, the lobster corn back had a good amount of lobster but the corn bake (stuffing) was so rich it overwhelmed the dish.

Prices were good - almost everything under $20, and a lot of non-seafood like fried chicken and prime rib sandwich that sounded great. They still have some tweaks to do, but once they get everything honed I would definitely be back for the hushpuppies and Crab Louie.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I noticed this fencing being stored by the garage around the spot where the hotel portion of Westport Manor is to be built (also saw a construction dumpster). I haven't been to Westport on a weekend night since they started closing the closing the streets, so maybe this fencing is used for that. Or perhaps it will be used for the construction of Westport Manor?

It seems like things have been quiet lately regarding that project. Anyone hear anything?

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Hearing east Westport is having a pretty major mouse and rat problem right now. I’m assuming it’s due to the XO building finally being demolished.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's amazing what disruption can do. A landlord emptied a former tenant's belongings from a vacant house across the street during the spring a couple of years ago, after poison had been put out a few days before. Suddenly my garage was full of dead mice who had climbed into every nook and cranny and died.

I had never had a mice problem in the years I've been in my house, but I learned never to use poison. Only traps. My neighbor used to work renovating old houses, and he said they would find all sorts of dead animals/skeletons in the walls. He said owners often used poison to kill rodents and they would crawl into the walls and die. He said always use traps so you find the bodies.

My point is telling this story is to educate anyone reading this that if you are ever living near a building or house is being demolished, immediately go buy rodent traps and set them out to catch the invaders before they die in your walls or basement.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

FangKC wrote:It's amazing what disruption can do. A landlord emptied a former tenant's belongings from a vacant house across the street during the spring a couple of years ago, after poison had been put out a few days before. Suddenly my garage was full of dead mice who had climbed into every nook and cranny and died.

I had never had a mice problem in the years I've been in my house, but I learned never to use poison. Only traps. My neighbor used to work renovating old houses, and he said they would find all sorts of dead animals/skeletons in the walls. He said owners often used poison to kill rodents and they would crawl into the walls and die. He said always use traps so you find the bodies.

My point is telling this story is to educate anyone reading this that if you are ever living near a building or house is being demolished, immediately go buy rodent traps and set them out to catch the invaders before they die in your walls or basement.
This is probably the most morbid and depressing thing I’ve ever read on here.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The old Berbiglia on Westport Rd is being razed today for the QT expansion.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Beignet in River Market adding 2nd location at the doomed Huddle House location but this menu looks to be expanded. I wonder how the worlds largest Ramen place does on that strech as well as the Wing place. I really missed his old restaurant he had in the Crossroads (Nica's) so I'm hoping its more like that
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 26594.html
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That is a bold move - hopefully they can improve the space. The 2nd Cancun Fiesta Fresh didn't seem to do to well in that spot.

I'm embarassed to say i've never been to the Beignet place in the RM.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:01 pm The retail building on the SE corner of 43rd and Main, which most recently housed Nature's Own grocery, is undergoing interior renovation.

https://tinyurl.com/y8mtdvza
July 19, 2018

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

That is a real pretty building. I just wished it was located some place else. That area is not to good there is a lot of homeless around there.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Darlene wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 am That is a real pretty building. I just wished it was located some place else. That area is not to good there is a lot of homeless around there.
Are you talking about the building at 43rd and Main (photos above) or a different building. The old Nature's Own is a great location, just north of the Plaza, down slightly from American Century and hopefully only a couple of years away from being on the streetcar line?
mykn

Post by mykn »

I actually like the old bank building, but I hate HKC with a passion so it warms my heart just a little to see this thing go down.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

"Katheryn Shields is the only one who supported us"

is the sort of statement that should trigger self-reflection.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

TrolliKC wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:44 pm
Darlene wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:16 am That is a real pretty building. I just wished it was located some place else. That area is not to good there is a lot of homeless around there.
Are you talking about the building at 43rd and Main (photos above) or a different building. The old Nature's Own is a great location, just north of the Plaza, down slightly from American Century and hopefully only a couple of years away from being on the streetcar line?
Yes that building. That area is about to get even worst for parking. Most of you don't understand what it is like to be a lady walking in those places.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Yeah, I suspect you don't either, Darlene.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

missingkc wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:49 pm Yeah, I suspect you don't either, Darlene.
:lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »