Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 am Also notice bikes aren’t allowed at all. Bicyclists are just going to take their business elsewhere
I get the point, but I can’t imagine many people riding their bikes through Westport in the dark between midnight and 3am.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seems excessive if not ridiculous on the surface but it's just a few hours window late Fri/Sat night that attracts a raucous leaning party crowd to begin with. Wouldn't mind seeing P&L take more of the party and bridge/tunnel crowd as they did when first opening. Westport needs to focus on turning Westport into a neighborhood district outside those windows and if turning people off for late night weekends, probably not a bad thing.

Living in 64111, we often spend a couple weeknights in Westport (walking dog too) and some weekends but leave before the 11PM party crowd. Westport probably has the most dog friendly patios in city, and that hasn't changed. Those rules aren't going to discourage those who live in the area to avoid Westport. If it helps avoid the reputation of occasional violence, give it a shot.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

earthling wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:24 am Seems excessive if not ridiculous on the surface but it's just a few hours window late Fri/Sat night that attracts a raucous leaning party crowd to begin with. Wouldn't mind seeing P&L take more of the party and bridge/tunnel crowd as they did when first opening. Westport needs to focus on turning Westport into a neighborhood district outside those windows and if turning people off for late night weekends, probably not a bad thing.

Living in 64111, we often spend a couple weeknights in Westport (walking dog too) and some weekends but leave before the 11PM party crowd. Westport probably has the most dog friendly patios in city, and that hasn't changed. Those rules aren't going to discourage those who live in the area to avoid Westport. If it helps avoid the reputation of occasional violence, give it a shot.
I see your point here. However, the issue is the sidewalks they are doing these searches and access control on are no longer public property and are now private property. Therefore, the owners (Westport Regional Business League) have full private property ownership rights. So while these current rules are only in effect a few late hours of the night, it is still private property all other hours of the day. They could, within their legal private property rights, do these searches at any time they wish, bar any item with or without cause, charge entry to their property if they wish, or (if taken to the fullest extremes of private property law) bar/ban any person/group from entry with or without cause.

The city council in 2017, when they approved this terrible measure, took the first step down a very slippery slope which could very well be the opening of a new Pandora’s box in Kansas City. Imagine if the owners of the Plaza came to the city asking to do the same thing around their properties? It would be very hard for the city to say no because they have now created precedent. I hope the council will reverse this action while they still can because we can not give away our public spaces and all the freedoms that come with it in the name of safety and security.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

We could enact all kinds of laws that would guarantee to make people safer. Guess it's all what kind of society you want to live in. I prefer the free kind.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

flyingember wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:11 am Also notice bikes aren’t allowed at all. Bicyclists are just going to take their business elsewhere
The hoards of 11pm-3am cyclists will be appalled.

I was in the district until 10pm on Saturday and all was well. None of these measures were in place at that time. All this fret, but it only affects people coming into the district after 11pm. Remember 'bout what your mama said of the bad things that happen when you stay out past midnight...
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Hand grenades - no. Hand warmers - yes.

I'm never going to remember this.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Artsy sneaker store Volume 1 is closing in Westport, moving to Crossroads.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 49705.html

While I applaud the move downtown, it's too bad for Westport. Really needs more retail presence, fewer bars. And the concept seemed to work well there along with nearby Bunker.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^
So the crossroads is easier?
“My lease was up in Westport. I had an option to stay for five years. But there are too many bars and restaurants and not enough places to park,” Ji said.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:05 pm ^
So the crossroads is easier?
“My lease was up in Westport. I had an option to stay for five years. But there are too many bars and restaurants and not enough places to park,” Ji said.
There's empty retail spaces and more opening up so there's options. It's also a more diverse retail environment.
The on street parking alone is better in the crossroads.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Checked out Pressed Penny W Westport. Good neighborhood refined tavern feel, above avg menu including small plates - more comfortable than last place. Subtle Hemingway influences while not attempting a 'theme restaurant'. Not a destination, rather a sedating quirky Midtown neighborhood vibe when half busy. HH til 7p. Surprised wells were only $3 but maybe we got a treat, couldn't tell. Wine by glass menu also a buck or three less than expected. Solid 64111 hangout on our list.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The north side of Westport Rd between Holly and Wiedenmann (just north of the old Berbiglia that was torn down for the new QT) is rumored to be torn down for apartments. The owner of the salon in one of the houses said they were being forced to move, and when I asked for more details she said they were tearing down the entire block. I find it more likely that only the homes fronting Westport Rd would be torn down or the neighborhood folks would go nuts. Anyone have details?
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Westport Road to the west of SW Tfwy desperately needs some traffic calming. We walked along it for a couple blocks on Saturday and it was a very uncomfortable experience. To make matters worse, QT currently has the sidewalk closed on the south side east of Mercier for their expansion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've made that walk a couple times. Very poor experience.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Has there been serious consideration for re-configuring the clusterfuck as a roundabout? Seems that might make it worse from pedx experience unless an island is used between each direction. And may not be doable with 3 lanes each way unless using lights. Doesn't seem like there can be a good solution that everyone would like. What about hiring the Boring Company to bury SW Tfway from Plaza to downtown?

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

If you're going to do that, at least put a train in the hole.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they studied a roundabout 5-10 years ago...something about they would have to take some of the parking lot to the NW (where the hardware store is) and as we know in KC....talk of taking away parking is a non-starter.
KCMOJoe89
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

I remember seeing the news report on the "Westport Triangle" recently. I'm interested to see the design recommendations considering I commute through this intersection every day. There is mention of eliminating a portion of 43rd St, which I would assume is that small awkward strip in front of the floral shop?

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/wo ... ansas-city

Staying on the complete streets subject, the lane reduction design along broadway looks very pedestrian friendly around the Broadway/Westport Rd intersection.

https://twitter.com/BetterBlockKC/statu ... 1567602690
http://kcmo.gov/planning/midtown-complete-streets-plan/
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

earthling wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:51 pm ...And may not be doable with 3 lanes each way unless using lights. Doesn't seem like there can be a good solution that everyone would like. What about hiring the Boring Company to bury SW Tfway from Plaza to downtown?
This is not such a farfetched idea (at least the tunnel idea -- not sure about Elon Musk's Boring Company). A tunnel with no stops to take two lanes of traffic each way from somewhere south of Westport Road to somewhere just north of 31st Street would allow the rest of the surface grade of Southwest Trafficway to be entirely re-purposed.

You would still want a roadway there, for local traffic, but it could be a much grander experience. Meanwhile, the "through" traffic would flow silently underground.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Staying on the complete streets subject, the lane reduction design along broadway looks very pedestrian friendly around the Broadway/Westport Rd intersection.

https://twitter.com/BetterBlockKC/statu ... 1567602690
http://kcmo.gov/planning/midtown-complete-streets-plan/
Wow, that concept rendering of Broadway/Westport Road on KCMO site looks fantastic - thanks for posting. Would be a massive improvement and really help tie Westport (east and west of Broadway) together. Hope this happens soon.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

kcjak wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 am The north side of Westport Rd between Holly and Wiedenmann (just north of the old Berbiglia that was torn down for the new QT) is rumored to be torn down for apartments. The owner of the salon in one of the houses said they were being forced to move, and when I asked for more details she said they were tearing down the entire block. I find it more likely that only the homes fronting Westport Rd would be torn down or the neighborhood folks would go nuts. Anyone have details?
To add to my initial question above, it turns out that Mike's Liquor (just to the east of this location) will be expanding into a new, bigger building.