Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Westport

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The website doesn't work and their Twitter and Facebook pages are gone
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'll be. That's too bad
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote: And great that the lot is finally going away...
Do we know for sure that is happening? The Star article did say "The front patio will connect to McCoy's Public House next door". I hope that means the lot will be gone, but it seems vague.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000 wrote:The website doesn't work and their Twitter and Facebook pages are gone
That doesn't really fit this narrative: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... =twt_staff
Jerry Nevins, a partner in the frozen-cocktail bar and eatery, said the owners wanted to concentrate on their new product line, Snow Pops, an adult popsicle containing a 6.7 percent alcohol content. But he said legalities with the liquor license make it harder to have a retail license and operate a wholesale company making alcoholic products.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I was pretty bummed to read in that article that Johnny Kaw's has looked into the space for a possible third concept in Westport.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote:I was pretty bummed to read in that article that Johnny Kaw's has looked into the space for a possible third concept in Westport.
Yes, we need less concepts from Johnny Kaw's and more concept from the Beer Kitchen/Char Bar people in Westport.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Or maybe just more concepts from different people. Period.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Snow & co ownership just seems to just not know what they are doing...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote:Snow & co ownership just seems to just not know what they are doing...
Its funny this is a quote from Snow and Co as to one of the reasons why they moved from Crossroads to Westport
“The Crossroads is having an identity crisis right now. It’s not sure what it’s going to be,” said Jerry Nevins, a partner in Snow & Co. with Andy Talbert and Lauren Cloud. “But Westport and the developers over there definitely have a vision and have been revitalizing the area to compete with Power & Light and welcome concepts such as ours, a lot of very unique Kansas City concepts — Ça Va, Julep, the Doughnut Lounge, Beer Kitchen. And now concepts like HopCat coming in.”
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

We were sure what we wanted to be because we already were an arts district (not an "entertainment district") and they just didn't agree. The city literally does not bestow the "entertainment district" designation on us (only the adjacent P&L and 18th & Vine).

Of course, Ca Va got caught up in something similar. Our liquor regulations need modernizing to allow flexible concepts like mixing sales and production (or just mixing with coffee, as was the case at Thou Mayest), but must still protect neighborhoods in some way (which is the reason they're so restrictive right now).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I want ca va downtown bad.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Apparently Shields has placed a hold on the Westport hotel project that's replacing the XO nightclub. Something about lack of community input.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

DaveKCMO wrote:Apparently Shields has placed a hold on the Westport hotel project that's replacing the XO nightclub. Something about lack of community input.
This is getting ridiculous with her, and that hotel proposal has been known for YEARS now. Does she expect to be able to personally take down anything that she or her supporters don't agree with?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

What district does she represent? I’d love to vote against her any time I get the chance.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:What district does she represent? I’d love to vote against her any time I get the chance.
4th at large so it doesn't matter which district you're in.

http://kcmo.gov/city-officials/city-council-members/
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Cool. Her seat is up for grabs in August, right?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I believe she's running for mayor this time. Whatever happens, I hope she doesn't get elected. It's time for Shields to go into retirement.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

FangKC wrote:I believe she's running for mayor this time. Whatever happens, I hope she doesn't get elected. It's time for Shields to go into retirement.
Agreed.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The retail building on the SE corner of 43rd and Main, which most recently housed Nature's Own grocery, is undergoing interior renovation.

https://tinyurl.com/y8mtdvza
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

IIRC Ragazza is moving in there.