Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Westport

Post by KCPowercat »

Similar to the "P&L's effect on the plaza" thread, I headed down to Westport last night to meet up with some friends.  I was interested in the crowds on a nice night.

Places were definately less full than in years past on a similar night...while I don't think it's all due to the success of P&L, I'm sure it does have some effect.

To tell you the truth, it was the best time I have had in westport in a long time....Harrys and all the bars I peaked into had people but they weren't packed full.  Felt like a neighborhood again.  I think solid restaurants and bars will still make it, even though they might not see the record profits they may have been getting 5 years ago.

Anyways, any other experiences?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
K.C.Highrise
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by K.C.Highrise »

I too went to Harry's last night. There was plenty of people there, but not overly crowded. I loved the fact that you could just sit on the patio and drink and not feel like you were packed into a tin of sardines. Nobody goes to the P+L district on the weekends anymore, it's too crowded.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

harry's has sold me on their happy hour that's 7 days a week until 7. we plan on hitting it every sunday while the weather is nice.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I loathe and despise crowds when I'm out trying to socialize (why I'm just not a big P&L person, sorry), so Westport's level of not as full currently suits me well.  I've not been in anywhere that was empty, just places not (thankfully) packed to the gills.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

maybe this means america's pub will finally die.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Sounds like P&L is having the impact on Westport I had hoped. I remember I usually stopped going out in Westport during the summer, sounds like it might now be a civilized place during the summer as it is in cooler seasons.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

ignatius wrote: Yeah, would like to see America's Pub go away.  Hopefully late night brawls/crime reduce significantly with the less packed bars.  The P&L impact improved Westport in the end - no more obnoxiousness (that I've seen) and it looks like mostly people who live in the area that go instead of striped shirts and frat partiers.

Westport needs to continue to cater to the 30+ crowd (and the 20-something coolheaded) to reduce brawls and obnoxiousness.  America's Pub and maybe Harpo's could go.
Seriously, fun "grown up" bars are fine by me - a welcome improvement. I am totally okay with spreading out the crowd, particularly if the "not my type" of people continue to be funnelled off to the venues I don't frequent.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

P&L might be the best thing that ever happened for Westport.  Kind of ironic.
midtown guy
New York Life
New York Life

Post by midtown guy »

There are a lot of places in Westport that I really like, but just haven't been to any of them in several years because of the crowds....maybe I'll have to go back.
lucuspukus
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by lucuspukus »

I went to P&L and it was sooo crowded and I didn't feel like waiting in line for 2 hours--so we went back to harry's. Harry's is a great bar. I think P&L will do great things for downtown, but I dont feel like I have to dress to the 9s to go out.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I think that Wesport will inevitably slow down a little, but this will result in only the cool places remaining.  Hopefully some new, interesting places will fill in the holes where a few businesses have already left.  I've heard Matsu might be closing, which would be a disappointment.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

westport was hopping last night. i'm sure people have adjusted to the fact that P+L prices and distance from home aren't going to hold their attention all weekend every weekend forever.

that being said, i was reminded how awful a music venue the beaumont club is.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Westport will begin charging $2-5 for parking starting at 8:00 pm on Fri/Sat.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/16388365/detail.html

Is this a good move?  Will people just stay home if they don't want to pay for parking?

I would guess that it would have been better to stay free for a longer period of time since that is one good thing they had up on P&L.  Now, will people go more to Zona?  Legends?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

proceeds to business owners? why not to keeping up the neighborhood and adding amenities so that it doesn't become a shithole again?

regardless, people who want to go to westport will still go. maybe a taxi or bus (or feet!) will seem more attractive. i can't remember the last time i drove to westport, so it's no matter to me. there might be an unintended consequence of people parking for free in neighborhoods to walk. all the more reason why the city needs to start issuing neighborhood parking permits in the urban core.

and to that dolt who said she'll no longer go because it: good riddance to you!
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

how will Westport charge for parking?  On the surface lots near the corner of Penn/Westport Road?  There is still tons of street parking all around there in every direction.  In a way, it's really too bad the vast chunks of surface parking will become more valuable, and, like DaveKCMO pointed out, the money won't necessarily be reinvested in Westport, but will be given to the business owners, who will most likely enjoy the added cashflow and thus value the surface parking even more :(
are we spinning free?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

rxlexi wrote: how will Westport charge for parking?  On the surface lots near the corner of Penn/Westport Road?  There is still tons of street parking all around there in every direction.  In a way, it's really too bad the vast chunks of surface parking will become more valuable, and, like DaveKCMO pointed out, the money won't necessarily be reinvested in Westport, but will be given to the business owners, who will most likely enjoy the added cashflow and thus value the surface parking even more :(
What about people that want to shop at Sunfresh? Will they have to pay at that lot?
midtown wrote: I think that Wesport will inevitably slow down a little, but this will result in only the cool places remaining.  Hopefully some new, interesting places will fill in the holes where a few businesses have already left.  I've heard Matsu might be closing, which would be a disappointment.
Sounds like I need to make a visit to Matsu's before they possibly close down! Best sushi in town!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

as far as where they will charge, i suspect it will be only in the lots that are on westport road (and maybe the garage... have they even been charging for that lately?).
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

I stumbled upon it while going to the grocery store on Saturday night.  I just told the attendant I was going to the store, and he let me in without paying.

Dave, the city already has residential parking permits in the Volker neighborhood, on the side streets off of West 39th. Anyone can park for two hours, but for longer periods you must have a residential permit for that area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Someone charges for parking quite regularly in the lots along Pennsylvania north of Westport Rd. Usually on Fri/Sat nights.

I would like to think this wouldn't effect the overall crowd. Is $2 or $5 that big of a deal? I would think those that let a nominal amount of cash drive their overall entertainment decisions really aren't spending enough to make a difference anyway. I could be wrong.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This sounds like a plan to run a few businesses out.  I really think the Westport businesses want to get rid of the party crowd and recreate themselves.  The crowd that doesn't park until after 8 on a Friday or Saturday is just looking for a party atmosphere.  I'd say Harpo's, Kelly's, America's Pub, etc. are the targets.  "Get a higher-end product or you're out."