Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic »

WoodDraw wrote:Why don't the individual bars start wanding or doing pat downs? Or are they already?
On Fri and Sat nights, there are a LOT of people in Westport who don't go to bars. They cruise, walk around, start crap with bar patrons, etc.

I'm not saying bars shouldn't do more, but not sure the bars wanding/patting down gets at the larger problem.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The larger problem is there's nowhere else in the city open this late.

Either need to reduce any incentive to be out that late or provide alternatives.
A barrier just means some people get upset when they're arbitrarily excluded. It's going to inflame the situation much like the P&L dress code issue.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Just let the chaos happen y'all. Equilibrium will be reached on its own as long as we're not trying to quell it nor exacerbate it. It's the meddling that causes a nasty situation to get that much worse. Not that I expect any of the morons that "run" Westport to understand this.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:
chaglang wrote:Vacating part of Mill Street for the Manor Square hotel is on this week's council legislative agenda.
Does anybody yet know what this vacation specifically proposes? It doesn't really make sense to me, unless the driveway to the garage is officially part of Mill Street or they want to narrow the road slightly or something.
The landscaped area directly south of the current garage entry is part of the ROW. This is what would be vacated.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I'm not sure that any solution that requires a change in the way bars currently do business has been explored. They're boxed into this vacation idea because nobody wants to discuss whether the festival permit is a huge part of the problem - there's too much money to be made.

Has anyone seen any proof from Westport that (a) they have the gun problem they think they do, and (b) vacating the street and wanding at the perimeter would solve it? If the P&L is any guide, the problems will just shift to just beyond the security checkpoints.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chaglang wrote:I'm not sure that any solution that requires a change in the way bars currently do business has been explored. They're boxed into this vacation idea because nobody wants to discuss whether the festival permit is a huge part of the problem - there's too much money to be made.

Has anyone seen any proof from Westport that (a) they have the gun problem they think they do, and (b) vacating the street and wanding at the perimeter would solve it? If the P&L is any guide, the problems will just shift to just beyond the security checkpoints.
I know someone who owns an apartment (or condo?) on the NE corner of 40th Ter/Penn, and there has been ongoing gun violence around that corner for at least a couple of years. Privatizing the streets will only push whatever may happen IN Westport to the periphery. Do we still have any mounted patrol units that the Westport business owners could hire on the weekends?

Did anyone else read the Star article yesterday that said patrons and at least one employee said that police used tear gas on Saturday night (Sunday morning, really) and that they went from business to business telling them they needed to close early? And the police department wasn't commenting?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

this star article: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/cr ... 66353.html

it's also worth revisiting this blog post, since even this event is being used to continue the case for privatizing westport road: http://urbanangle.net/great-westport-gi ... -property/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It just seems like these issues move from one area to another. I remember hearing on Next Door about a couple rolling gun battles along 31st due to a problem bar at Martini Corner (This was 4-5 months ago), Power and Light has had issues in the past. I dunno, are rival gangs running into eachother at these bars and it ends up causing a beef and it just ends up escalating into gun violence?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

The indiscriminate tear gassing will lead to riots and I imagine that would be much worse for Westport than the occasional gun violence flare up. I'm not sure what the hell KCPD is thinking I'm that situation.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Mary Jo Draper is at it again - got a Facebook feed from the Volker Neighborhood Association with a request for residents to call and email council members asking them to support the nine month demo/development moratorium in Westport. I don't see any specifics related to an end date, only 'initiate a community planning process' beginning in January.

https://www.facebook.com/volkerkcmo.org ... 4869659419
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

All these DeJanes and Drapers are a cancer to this city. It's time to isolate these tumors. I know that rhetoric sounds extreme and I'm not advocating anything actually extreme but...we should find someway to discredit and shame their NIMBY/NIYBY platform. This shit is getting out of control and these Thomas Kinkade, milk-toast suburbanites-in-urbanites-clothing morons are actively ruining this city.

Ugh I hate them and I hate how worked up this is making me.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

JBmidtown wrote:All these DeJanes and Drapers are a cancer to this city. It's time to isolate these tumors. I know that rhetoric sounds extreme and I'm not advocating anything actually extreme but...we should find someway to discredit and shame their NIMBY/NIYBY platform. This shit is getting out of control and these Thomas Kinkade, milk-toast suburbanites-in-urbanites-clothing morons are actively ruining this city.

Ugh I hate them and I hate how worked up this is making me.
=D>
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

just keep up the pressure on elected officials (and not just on twitter). believe it or not, they can be persuaded by constituents!

in short, demonize if you must but there will always be a draper and dejanes. the question is whether they can wield out-sized influence.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

What's a good way to contact council members? I have a lot I want to say to them...
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

JBmidtown wrote: Ugh I hate them and I hate how worked up this is making me.
It might be a good time to take a break from following development for awhile, JB. It moves WAY slower than what some think it should at times. This city has actually seen it move as quickly as most this past decade, but it's still painfully slow. Dejanes and others have a different view than you for their own reasons. Doesn't make them evil or worth some discrediting campaign. Don't let it get you angry.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Seconded.

You have to out work them, you won't out crazy them.
mykn

Post by mykn »

JBmidtown wrote:Ugh I hate them and I hate how worked up this is making me.
I feel you on that, happens to me too. Best thing that I've found that helps is to use that as fuel to push for what you want. For example, volunteer to help with the streetcar expansion. We're going to need to make a big push to make sure people get out to vote in the next election and return their ballots in the third election. Let's organize "get togethers" with other supporters to help keep the momentum going.

Also, and this is a big one to keep in mind, there's more of you than there is of them. We won the TDD election 70/30. That's insane. A large group of your neighbors agree with you. The DeJanes and Drapers of this city are a vocal minority.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

JBmidtown wrote:What's a good way to contact council members? I have a lot I want to say to them...
Council contacts:

Councilman Scott Taylor, 816-513-6523, Legislative Aide: katrina.foster@kcmo.org

Councilman Lee Barnes, Jr., 816-513-6519, Legislative Aide: Keema.McCoy@kcmo.org

Councilwoman Heather Hall, 816-513-6505, heather.hall@kcmo.org

Councilman Quinton Lucas, 816-513-6511, Quinton.Lucas@kcmo.org

* VOLKER council member: Councilwoman Katheryn Shields, 816-513-6515, katheryn.shields@kcmo.org

Other Councilmembers:

Councilman Scott Wagner, 513-6503, Legislative Aide: Kimberly Randolph: Kimberly.randolph@kcmo.org

Councilwoman Teresa Loar, 513-6507, Legislative Aide: Lisa Minardi: lisa.minardi@kcmo.org

Councilman Dan Fowler, 513-6509, Legislative Aide: Amy Justis: amy.justis@kcmo.org

Councilman Jermaine Reed, 513-6513, Legislative Aide: Shontrice Patillo: Shontrice.patillo@kcmo.org

* VOLKER council member: Councilwoman Jolie Justus, 513-6517, Legislative Aide: Alec Kelley: alec.kelley@kcmo.org

Councilwoman Alissia Canady, 513-6521, Legislative Aide: Cynthia Jackson: Cynthia.jackson@kcmo.org

Councilman Kevin McManus, 513-6525, Legislative Aide: Fred Wickham: fred.wickham@kcmo.org
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.