Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic »

I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.
It's definitely an issue specific to that location, as the Sarpino's on Vivion is good (for a chain). I have a bad experience with the Westport location probably 3/4 of the time, enough that I stopped ordering from them altogether.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

scooterj wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:31 pm
WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:20 pm I was more comparing the Sarpinos in Westport with what I had out south at Sarpinos (OP or Leawood). The quality was better out South. I just assume it's harder to staff a place in the middle of the city that's open 'til 4a or whatever. They definitely fill a need - just not for me.
It's definitely an issue specific to that location, as the Sarpino's on Vivion is also good (for a chain). I have a bad experience with the Westport location probably 3/4 of the time, enough that I stopped ordering from them altogether.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.

Caddyshack is:

1. not St Louis style

2. disgusting
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chingon wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:01 am
WSPanic wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm Caddyshack offers their pizza with provel "cheese". It's better than Waldo, IMO.

Caddyshack is:

1. not St Louis style

2. disgusting
I won't debate the first point, because "thin crust w/provel" is as much credit as I'm willing to give STL for anything. And I won't debate the second point because I know you're wrong.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

Caddy Shack is my favorite pizza in kc! Everyone from out of state loves it when they visit too!

Also great staff.

Waldo pizza is also great :)
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

I love Caddy Shack.i'll be excited to try the new pizza place coming to Westport. Joes & Papa Kenos are pretty damn good in their own right.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

My 2 cents on *counter* pizza (excluding 'artisan' places)... Pizza 51 can't be beat in quality of ingredients, flavor and crust - can taste each ingredient separately. Bottom of barrel of those discussed has to be Sarpinos, there are cheap frozen pizzas with less chemical flavor. Papa Keno's after Pizza 51, fairly similar. BTW, Milwaukee Deli downtown is owned by Pizza 51 and has same pizza. Most overrated local award goes to Minsky's - I suspect they get their ingredients from Sysco. Like Imo's with pepperoncinis for a cracker snack but not Provel. Of chain pizzas... Costco. Even Aldi $5 unfrozen whole is more edible than most chains.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

For counter places I would say Johnny Jo's is tops in my book.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yeah agree it's one of tops, forgot about them (because not on a bus line, when I tend to hit counter eats).
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Huge Caddyshack fan.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Johnny Jo's is tops for pizza.

While I love Caddyshack overall, pizza sauce is a bit sweet.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Caddyshack!!! Damn I haven’t been there in a while
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

Off topic from delicious pizza but about Westport. It appears Westport Flea Market or another business around there has applied for TIF. Anyone know what thats all about?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's the 816 Hotel.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:34 am It's the 816 Hotel.
LMAO. They just need to flatten that shithole that place is very disgusting even with their "remodeling"
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Article on and image of the new Mike's, just west of the current location.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 87887.html
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Westport Rd is really becoming quite a Metcalf ave of midtown.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Coming soon: an empty Macaroni Grille
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I hate to say it, but it’d almost be better if Westport wasn’t connected to SW Trafficway at all. The buildings and businesses get more suburban-y the more you go in that direction. It makes it feel like more of a pass through than where to be. Not really sure how to fix it. I know the business owners love that it’s cut off from a pedistrian standpoint because they can monopolize traffic, but street connection to east Westport sure would thin out crowds and bring a lighter feel. Feels like a waste.