Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by earthling »

loftguy wrote:Take a look at yesterday NYTimes article, recounting the Frugal Traveler's visit to KC.
He was at Arthur Bryant's and in talking with a local (Leawood?) and Frugal shared that he was going to Westport.
The local told him to be sure to be out of Westport before dark, because it wasn't safe.

Frugal made sure he left The Bunker before the sun went down....
Ugh, now I personally get out of central Westport by midnight on a Fri/Sat night but no surprise that suburbanites will exaggerate. Is the case with suburban mentality for most cities.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I went to Bryant's this weekend, overate; then went to Westport, got drunk and started a fight; then went over to Nutterville and robbed some poor hipster bastard. You guys are right, it was easy pickins, though all I got was a $3 peanut butter bar, an old Weezer shirt, and an ugly Pendleton jacket.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

taxi wrote:I went to Bryant's this weekend, overate; then went to Westport, got drunk and started a fight; then went over to Nutterville and robbed some poor hipster bastard. You guys are right, it was easy pickins, though all I got was a $3 peanut butter bar, an old Weezer shirt, and an ugly Pendleton jacket.
Hahaha! You're so old you think hipsters eat peanut butter bars and that they only cost 3 dollars!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Valentine Planning Committee is having a meeting to hear more about the proposed apartment building on the BOA block because of 'proximity to Valentine and concerns about the historic character of Westport, Valentine and surrounding neighborhoods.' Thursday, April 13, 6:00pm in the Cohen Room of the Plaza Library.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

kcjak wrote:Valentine Planning Committee is having a meeting to hear more about the proposed apartment building on the BOA block because of 'proximity to Valentine and concerns about the historic character of Westport, Valentine and surrounding neighborhoods.' Thursday, April 13, 6:00pm in the Cohen Room of the Plaza Library.
Lol
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

valentine ends at 39th. where were they when gomer's was demolished and replaced by a cinder block shed?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:valentine ends at 39th. where were they when gomer's was demolished and replaced by a cinder block shed?
Too busy calling the cops on people of color or undesirable socioeconomic class that made the mistake of walking into their neighborhood.

But seriously can these folks really even do anything to stop developers in Westport?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Valentine still exists?! I thought KC Life tore it down.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A couple folks on the Nextdoor app were getting worked up about the possible loss of the Thomas Hart Benson murals in the bank until someone from the Benton Home historical site said they were definitely NOT Benton murals.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Interesting. I've never been in the bank, but walking by and glancing in, I always thought they were Bentons. They look cool. Hopefully BOA can save them regardless of the fate of the building.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

WSPanic wrote:Interesting. I've never been in the bank, but walking by and glancing in, I always thought they were Bentons. They look cool. Hopefully BOA can save them regardless of the fate of the building.
Apparently they were done by one of Benton's students, but not Benton himself.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

kcjak wrote:
WSPanic wrote:Interesting. I've never been in the bank, but walking by and glancing in, I always thought they were Bentons. They look cool. Hopefully BOA can save them regardless of the fate of the building.
Apparently they were done by one of Benton's students, but not Benton himself.
OMG! Save the Pollock Murals!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote:Valentine still exists?! I thought KC Life tore it down.
this.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

One of my friends who lives on Wyandotte told me this weekend that the hotel on the old XO spot is supposed to break ground in August.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The fact that they specifically called out the XO site project as a threat to Westport should be all the evidence anyone needs that the Save Westport group is woefully misguided.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote:One of my friends who lives on Wyandotte told me this weekend that the hotel on the old XO spot is supposed to break ground in August.
Do they still planning on being a Townplace Suites? If so its the lower quality extended stay hotel of the Marriott portfolio, they are not terrible but they are not that great. I prefer Residence Inn for Marriott extended stay over the Townplace Suites
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

chingon wrote:The fact that they specifically called out the XO site project as a threat to Westport should be all the evidence anyone needs that the Save Westport group is woefully misguided.
Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken this morning but otherwise who are 'they'. Everyone wants that site redeveloped.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

chingon wrote:The fact that they specifically called out the XO site project as a threat to Westport should be all the evidence anyone needs that the Save Westport group is woefully misguided.
I haven't heard anything about locals being against this development (although I could be wrong) - the Pulse and BOA proposals are a different story.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'm not sharing their link. But here's a quote about why they need to Save Westport.
Meanwhile, the building at the southwest corner of Westport and Broadway was recently replaced with a new restaurant and bar operated by the national HopCat chain. Another developer is currently revising plans which originally called for a pair of 14-story mixed use towner above Manor Square. A Wichita developer last year presented plans for replacing the former XO nightclub at 40th and Central with a four-story Town Place Suites by Marriott extended stay hotel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

In other words, no change ever!