Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by DaveKCMO »

also: https://www.gofundme.com/helppreserveoldwestport
The future of this historic enclave, richly filled with eclectic character and charm, is at the risk of disappearing through big developers and uncharacteristic architecture, such as a newly proposed highrise with contemporary features.
*emphasis added
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So why is 14 stories bad? I don't get it and I live in 64111 with Westport as primary neighborhood hangout.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Boo. Boo! NIMBYs go away
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

From the KCMO Development Tracker:

Another new proposal in Westport...

6 stories, 256 units, 8,500 sqft of retail, would result in a tear down of the BOA building on the SE corner of Westport Rd & Broadway.

Rendering
Elevation E/W
Elevations N/S
Platting

Streetview

Preliminary retail includes a place called "Yogurt Yogurt', an exotic corner 'Ristorante', and an even more exotic 'Leasing Office'.

1.5 floors of parking below grade, 1 at grade behind building and meshed in at street level at southern end of building. 303 spaces for 256 units.

Spaces for 100 bikes to park (31 short/69 long)

KCDowntown
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Do it.
mykn

Post by mykn »

How old is the BOA building?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sucks that the PnL District killed Westport &
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I don't know how old BOA building is but is old (probably over 100 years) and substantial enough that I'd hate to see it go, can't build those anymore. But this project maybe looks good enough to supersede the building - too bad BOA can't be incorporated. And it could create momentum needed for E end of Westport. OTOH it's just another lego block building. The lot next to BOA is huge and can be developed w/out tearing down BOA.

Wish this developer would tear down the Keith Coldsnow building near library instead and drop in a similar residential project. There are other under or undeveloped spots in Westport that need more attention than tearing down BOA. Will be interesting to see how Westport Association and neighborhood respond.

edit: Not liking idea of BOA building teardown the more I think about it. Has a lot of character. Other lots need more attention. And they can build on lot next to BOA.
Last edited by earthling on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

KCDowntown wrote:From the KCMO Development Tracker:
Another new proposal in Westport... 6 stories, 256 units, 8,500 sqft of retail, would result in a tear down of the BOA building on the SE corner of Westport Rd & Broadway.
Looks good.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote:Not liking idea of BOA building teardown the more I think about it. Has a lot of character. Other lots need more attention. And they can build on lot next to BOA.
I agree. I really wish they could incorporate the BOA building into this development a la the Midwest Hotel project. I also wish they would follow that project's example of varying the materials and design. I appreciate that there is some variety in the materials in this design, but overall, it is monotonous for such a large project.

Still, I really like a lot about this project. It replaces a terrible parking lot/drive through, brings much needed residential to the core of Westport, helps bridge E and W of Broadway, could help spur development further south on Broadway to better bridge Westport and Plaza (although I wish the retail on this building extended all the way to the south corner of the building).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah if the replacement is more grand than the building it replaces it would be easier to let go but Westport is one of oldest built up parts of city and tearing down that building is in the territory of tearing down Westport history. Hopcat replaced an old building but for the most part better than original and generally fits Westport (outside missed opportunity for corner entrance).

I would expect a fight on this one from neighborhood (and justifiably so) even though there is clearly a lot of good about this project. Hopefully there is enough fight to save the building while incorporating new one in large lot - everyone can win on this one.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This is absolutely an historic building that should not be replaced by a generic apartment building. Has been a bank here for a century, originally Westport Bank. Was remodeled on exterior in the seventies to look more like Westport Square across Broadway.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

So, it has been completely redone inside and out, yet is an historic structure that must be preserved? That doesn't make sense to me. Did settlers park their carriages in the massive surface lot - and then use the historic drive through? I honestly don't know the history of the buildings on that corner, so I could be completely wrong.

The fact that it has been a bank for however long means very little to me.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Today's BOA bears little resemblance to the building as seen in the 1940s photos. The original facade must have been removed and completely rebuilt.

Last edited by Critical_Mass on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

The only reason I can see to save all or part of the BOA is that it might make a nice place for a rooftop bar or restaurant. As is evident from the posted photos, the existing building is only an attempt at what someone imagined classic Westport architecture should look like. And my recollection is that there was at least one additional substantial modification between the 1940s photos and the existing facade.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Based on the photos above it looks like they already lopped off the eastern third of the building where the drive thru is.

But a rooftop bar would be nice in that location. Not sure I can picture a scenario where BOA leaves for a restaurant to take over.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

That eastern third of the building looks like it was an addition added to the original structure. That part does have a different look to it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Great to see more residential proposed for Westport. It may actually become a real urban neighborhood someday.

RE: bank. While I appreciate the idea of saving a piece of history in a city that has removed so much of its built environment, that BoA building has been so heavily renovated that, to me, it has lost whatever historic/architectural charm it may have once provided. It looks like it could been built 20 years ago.

Given an alternative that is a significantly higher/more valuable use, I'm fine with replacement. Would certainly prefer both, and keeping the BoA, however unrealistic that may be. That surface lot/drive-thru has to be top 5 on my shit list of wasted space in the urban core.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It's too tall!

Joking.

The replacement looks like it would be an improvement over the bank and parking lot. The bank doesn't have a lot of historic integrity. Until I saw the post above, I wasn't aware that it was historic at all.