Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by auntbigdog »

WSPanic wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:https://www.equip-bid.com/auction/searc ... tatus=open

Is it true that Murrays is closing?
Sad if true, but I have to imagine it's purely by choice. They were only open 3 or 4 days a week for about 5 months during the year.

Love their ice cream, though. The Malt Bodine and Chocolate Flake Fromage will be missed.
http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/news/bl ... ermanently
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

^^ Newspapers in this town are always a day behind the rag. :)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So got back about a week+ ago from being in LA and Florida for over 3 months and have been looking out for updates on KC projects in the core.

The new building at corner Westport/Bway is not bad (had very low expectations) but the lack of corner entrance for such a primo corner is a big FU to the sidewalk integration. Is unfortunate they tore down the old building but the configuration was terrible and this one looks much more functional while reasonably tasteful for Westport - B+.

There are 2 small grass lots next to Bway Cafe and half block down that will hopefully get some attention. And the small lot in front of needs to become a pocket park.

With the flashing traffic light of Westport/Penn, there is definitely gridlock backup happening at Westport/Bway with W bound traffic, even on a Sat morning. It could work if clueless drivers would avoid gridlock. They need to put a sign there... $300 ticket if causing gridlock as I've seen in other cities. Even if not enforced, it would likely prevent.

Is unfortunate to see the old Keith Coldsnow art store along E Westport all graffiti'd out. That is also a prime location for a nice residential like say the one a 5th/Grand. It's far enough from central Westport party noise, has MAX/bike stations nearby and would be a boost to Westport/Main biz revival.

Along Main midtown the new residential building over near Armour is looking good. Would love to see developer buy that Burger King next door and develop. What a prime location with a fairly large lot. Could be large residential project with ground level sidewalk retail, providing more residential amenities to the Armour stretch. At least 4 bike stations are needed along Armour from Bway to Troost when the Troost development completes. Bcycle should approach MAC to sponsor a few stations.

You can just smell developers starting to look more seriously at Midtown so hopefully they see the opportunities of such prime locations that are obvious. 43rd/Main old Berbiglia spot is another one. But ideally Midtown attracts urban developers, not suburban.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

With Thirftway closing up wonder if there are any plans to redevelop that
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Ugh, didn't hear about Thriftway on Main. That sucks.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Ugh, didn't hear about Thriftway on Main. That sucks.
Hadn't heard about this either? And agree, that's too bad - can be a nice quick stop for the odd staple, milk, etc.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

earthling wrote:The new building at corner Westport/Bway is not bad (had very low expectations) but the lack of corner entrance for such a primo corner is a big FU to the sidewalk integration. Is unfortunate they tore down the old building but the configuration was terrible and this one looks much more functional while reasonably tasteful for Westport - B+.
I agree. New brick can sometimes look terrible next to old brick, but this building is not bad. Some detail in the brickwork helps. I'm really glad they scrapped the original plan that looked like corrugated aluminum and replaced it with a (faux?) wood siding. There are still some details to be finished that could change the final product, but right now, it is turning out better than my low expectations.

I think it will serve as a nice gateway to Westport and a more prominent "sign" for passerby's on Broadway that this is an entertainment district.
earthling wrote:There are 2 small grass lots next to Bway Cafe and half block down that will hopefully get some attention.
There has been a sign up that those lots are for sale. I'm not sure if they did sell, but at least they are on the market.
earthling wrote:Is unfortunate to see the old Keith Coldsnow art store along E Westport all graffiti'd out. That is also a prime location for a nice residential like say the one a 5th/Grand. It's far enough from central Westport party noise, has MAX/bike stations nearby and would be a boost to Westport/Main biz revival.
I agree, but I believe there is a "now leasing" sign on the building, so it seems unlikely to be redeveloped at this time.

I am surprised that Video Mania is still in business. I would love to see that building rehabbed and a better tenant brought in.

I haven't heard any update on the proposed hotel for the XO site, but if that does go through, hopefully the rest of east Westport Rd will see some changes.
earthling wrote:Along Main midtown the new residential building over near Armour is looking good. Would love to see developer buy that Burger King next door and develop. What a prime location with a fairly large lot. Could be large residential project with ground level sidewalk retail, providing more residential amenities to the Armour stretch. At least 4 bike stations are needed along Armour from Bway to Troost when the Troost development completes. Bcycle should approach MAC to sponsor a few stations.
I had heard that Mac was looking at buying the Burger King parcel, but I'm guessing the owners were asking a fortune. I noticed the old Lost Sock building is for sale (they moved just down the street). That could be a good site for redevelopment, especially if someone could buy the Enterprise lot next to it.

Another site that seems prime for a Mac project is the vacant Soli print building at Armour and Broadway. A mixed use development there would be great to bridge everything around Uptown Theater with the MGE building development.
earthling wrote:You can just smell developers starting to look more seriously at Midtown so hopefully they see the opportunities of such prime locations that are obvious. 43rd/Main old Berbiglia spot is another one. But ideally Midtown attracts urban developers, not suburban.
I believe the Berbiglia site has been discussed on here before. If I recall correctly, a developer did buy it with plans for the future, but I don't think anything is happening soon.

This is what gets me the most excited for the streetcar expansion. Sure, I will be glad to have it as an option for transit, but I live far enough away from a stop (1 mile) that I probably won't be riding it all that often. I am mostly looking forward to the development it will bring. There are so many potential development sites on Main St. and throughout Midtown.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Noticed this today. I think this is the spot where the Conveniently Natural home food delivery service was located. Its a horrible location in my opinion, hope it can be a destination place
http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/article ... ant-events
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Noticed this today. I think this is the spot where the Conveniently Natural home food delivery service was located. Its a horrible location in my opinion, hope it can be a destination place
http://www.pitch.com/food-drink/article ... ant-events
I like the idea of this place a lot. However, I can't see any meaningful business, let alone a somewhat upscale restaurant, surviving in that location.

There's surprisingly little visibility, given how fast and tight traffic moves down SW Trfwy, and the lack of left turn when coming from the north makes access difficult. There are no other restaurants/bars in the vicinity. Further, the parking behind the building is not easily visible.

That being said, I may think they're crazy but I hope they make it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I live right by this space and have watched business after business come and go. It's definitely a tough spot. This new restaurant and the new dog grooming place on the other end of the strip seem like good additions that may have a shot. With the exception of Naturally Organic and Success Meals there hasn't been a restaurant in this strip in the last 20 years.

Edit: I'm not counting the gluten-free bakery that was there last year as a "restaurant".

In the end, if the restaurant is good enough (and gets the right press), they have a shot at making it. The parking and northbound access are not ideal, but not insurmountable either. I would think that people coming from the north are used to taking both Broadway and SW Trafficway, so hopefully that won't be too much of an issue. And, In this day and age with websites, yelp, gps, etc. - I think people are more well-equipped to find and access places like this.

Affordable wine and fresh food within stumbling distance of my home is going to be dangerous for me. Can't wait!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Why not have this place in Broadway? I imagine they had to put in all the kitchen equipment. It seems one of the many empty places on Broadway would be a better fit. Thinking specifically of the place next to Gomers.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:Why not have this place in Broadway? I imagine they had to put in all the kitchen equipment. It seems one of the many empty places on Broadway would be a better fit. Thinking specifically of the place next to Gomers.
It went into a space that previously had a kitchen - Naturally Organic and Success Meals. I imagine that, combined with what I assume is a much, much lower rent, could have helped drive the decision. Plus, they don't really have to share their parking at night with any of the other businesses in that strip. Whereas Gomer's can be a clusterf*ck on Fri/Sat nights.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Yes, but I've noticed the building next to Gomers has their own parking lot with stairs through the empty lot next to it.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think that may belong to the apartments to the north and to Gomer's, but I could be wrong. I believe all Gomer's employees park (and smoke) up there.

Plus, as noted, the place on the Trafficway probably has lower rent and had definitely been fitted for a kitchen in previous incarnations.That space on Broadway has been empty for quite some time- perhaps the landlord is asking way too much.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I lost Naturally Organic as a possible tenant in Columbus Park a few years ago to this space. They cited traffic count as their reason. I was kind of baffled and still feel that most of the people who drive by here never even notice the signage, as there is so much going on in traffic.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

You know what spot would have been good is on 34th/Broadway where the Ali Baba Hookah place was previously but I think before that it was an Italian Restaurant, I think that Hookah place just closed up recently. If they moved there you would have had the new development across the street as a customer base.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

beautyfromashes wrote:Yes, but I've noticed the building next to Gomers has their own parking lot with stairs through the empty lot next to it.
Ahhh, the "Lava Lot"...RIP.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

What's the Lova Lot?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

beautyfromashes wrote:What's the Lova Lot?
It is the 'third' parking lot on Washington, behind and SW of MiniBar. There is a gate at the east edge, which used to always be unlocked, and one could walk down the steps in that little grassy area and turn left to the Lava Room.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Yes, who owns that lot? I assume it goes with the parking behind? Owned by Lava Room building?