Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by KCMax »

earthling wrote:
mean wrote:I almost ate at a Freebirds in San Antonio once, but it looked pretty bad and I refrained. Doubt I'll be inclined to visit this one.

Sucks to lose El Rancho, although I almost never saw anyone in there. I wondered how they kept it going.
Just tried Freebirds in Westport today. Was doable, far more options than Chipotle. I essentially built carnitas street tacos and they were not bad. At least they have corn tortillas as option and cilantro. The sauces/salsas aren't as hot as I like but I had my Marie Sharps habenero sauce with me. Was under $6 for 2 tacos/drink and it came with chips and you can choose salsa/queso/guac - cheaper than El Rancho and Chipotle. I thought it was overall better than Chipotle and not bad for a SW/Cali type chain but haven't tried the wraps.

The place doesn't operate very efficiently. They had 15 people on staff. Even though it was busy, I usually only see 6 or so at Chipotle with long lines.
Pretty much the exact same impression. Taste-wise its about the same as Chipotle but far more choices. I like the different sizes - Chipotle always leaves me too stuffed. Also like they offer more beer selection. And yea, way too much staff.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

The Corner Restaurant is coming back to Westport--

Since the Corner Restaurant, a Westport mainstay, closed about three years ago, Michael Pfeifer said he had made it his mission to reopen it.

He watched as other deals fell through. Then the landlord renovated the building at 4059 Broadway, and interest picked up.

Pfeifer was working at another area restaurant and discussed his dream with fellow employee Dawn Slaughter, and the two decided to reopen the Corner together.

They are further remodeling the restaurant, giving it an “industrial farmhouse” décor with exposed beam ceilings and original brick walls for a relaxed artsy atmosphere, Pfeifer said tonight as he wiped ceiling dust off his Cole Haans.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/11/29/39 ... rylink=cpy
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Good news. I didn't see an opening date. That side of Westport started to close up when Corner Restaurant closed (and Osco). Hopefully with this reopening as well as the several restaurants popping up N of there and new apts coming in behind, the E Side of Westport will start to kick into gear.

BTW, I noticed a building N of there is being remodeled for a 'Huddle House'. Is that the same bfast chain in Georgia? Never been to one. Chains don't do too well in Westport, even Starbucks didn't survive, but I'm at least glad to see them restore a building instead of tear it down for a stand alone pad site, which is happening too much in midtown. Even if it doesn't survive, the spot is remodeled for another Westport restaurant site.

There's a big increase in restaurants lately from midtown to downtown.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

earthling wrote:^Good news. I didn't see an opening date. That side of Westport started to close up when Corner Restaurant closed (and Osco). Hopefully with this reopening as well as the several restaurants popping up N of there and new apts coming in behind, the E Side of Westport will start to kick into gear.

BTW, I noticed a building N of there is being remodeled for a 'Huddle House'. Is that the same bfast chain in Georgia? Never been to one. Chains don't do too well in Westport, even Starbucks didn't survive, but I'm at least glad to see them restore a building instead of tear it down for a stand alone pad site, which is happening too much in midtown. Even if it doesn't survive, the spot is remodeled for another Westport restaurant site.

There's a big increase in restaurants lately from midtown to downtown.
Yes, it is the chain. They will be open 24 hrs, which I think will make them a bit of a destination. The Huddle House is part of the same project that involves Open Fire Pizza and the new apartment building.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I figured it was. Yeah, being 24 hours may help their survival chances. Glad to see more Westport momentum and cheers to the guy who is investing in that strip and doing the apts.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Lots of competition now with Corner Restaurant, Huddle House, Chubbys and Simply Breakfast all kind of serving the same thing, wonder which one will close first
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Lots of competition now with Corner Restaurant, Huddle House, Chubbys and Simply Breakfast all kind of serving the same thing, wonder which one will close first
Simply Breakfast. Awful, awful place in a great spot.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Really? I've only eaten at Simply Breakfast once, but I thought it was pretty good. Not going to set the world on fire, but a viable option.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mean wrote:Really? I've only eaten at Simply Breakfast once, but I thought it was pretty good. Not going to set the world on fire, but a viable option.

I'm not a fan. Poorly run and sub-par food.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^They have awesome Sweet Cream Pancakes, probably the best pancakes in town, everything else is garbage. The place is run by a bunch of idiot hipsters
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

There is no way it can be worse than a Huddle House...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:^They have awesome Sweet Cream Pancakes, probably the best pancakes in town, everything else is garbage. The place is run by a bunch of idiot hipsters

Yes, this is what I was trying to say, minus the pancakes. Perhaps I'll swing back through and give those a try!
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Whether Huddle House can survive there or not, it's good to see a dilapidated retail spot (I think it was a cash checking place) upgraded to modern restaurant space. If HH fails, it will be easier for another/better restaurant to step in. The 24hr aspect may be the only thing that keeps it alive but since Chubby's a few blocks away is already 24hr, I'm giving HH 1 to maybe 2 years. Westporters literally don't like chains, unless it's a 'hip' chain.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

earthling wrote:Whether Huddle House can survive there or not, it's good to see a dilapidated retail spot (I think it was a cash checking place) upgraded to modern restaurant space. If HH fails, it will be easier for another/better restaurant to step in. The 24hr aspect may be the only thing that keeps it alive but since Chubby's a few blocks away is already 24hr, I'm giving HH 1 to maybe 2 years. Westporters literally don't like chains, unless it's a 'hip' chain.

I'm placing a bet that HH will be a tremendous success.

May not see the likes of us huddling on stools there, but plenty will.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

A 24-hour diner that is literally across the street will make bank. We're willing to walk to Chubby's from Westport, but lots of Westport patrons aren't
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Back in March it was mentioned that a local outdoor store was coming to the Westport area, called "Local Yeti". Just checked out the facebook page, no activity since early Summer. I'm thinking the opening of Moosejaw and REI must have put a damper on the idea of opening this store. Too bad, I was kind of excited for it.
thegeester68
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by thegeester68 »

I personally like Simply Breakfast. Food is standard and cheap and I've never had issues with service. Took my mom there on many Saturdays and the place is packed at mid-morning on weekends. It may not be a star foodie joint, but at least its affordable, urban and local.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Any idea what's going in the old oil change place at Westport Rd and Jarboe (almost directly north of Berbiglia)? The building has been completely redone and looks really nice with new fencing and the garage-type doors redone.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

^or the old gas station at Westport Rd and Roanoke, just west of QT.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Corner Restaurant is reopening, new ownership, Valentine's 2013. Seems soon, but that's what I got on a Facebook post from someone in the know