hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote:Now, if we could just get someone to renovate this building.

http://tinyurl.com/nmmpmc8
The property is in the Land Bank, and the website it says:
"This property is currently not for sale. We are having a Phase I Environmental Audit performed to determine the environmental issues that may need to be addressed before sale, or by the purchaser. It will be placed back on the market after the results of the audit are received. This is anticipated to occur by late April 2014. Please check back periodically for availability"

I must say, I have been rather disappointed with the Land Bank from what I have seen. I think the city needs to be much more proactive about getting vacant properties into that hands of people who will do something positive, especially a building like this that has so much potential.

I know that the Lazarus Group, located just down the block has had some interest in that building for some time, but I'm doubtful anything will ever come of that.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Well, I'm also disappointed in the policy of the land bank encouraging people to buy adjacent vacant parcels to expand their yards, because the lots are "narrow," instead of putting together a plan to redevelop the lots with new houses, and rebuilding population density in KCMO south of the river.

There are plenty of narrow house designs that could fit on these lots, and if the the City could do more to embrace and encourage more prefab houses being placed on vacant lots. Prefab houses are cheaper to build, and can be assembled on site in a few days instead of a couple of months, or more, that a custom house requires.

It's more than just filling lots. We are talking about city revenue. A lot with a new house on it brings in more property taxes than a vacant side-lot. The residents of infill house bring in more sales and earning taxes. In addition, rebuilding population in older neighborhoods supports existing retail, and attract retail back to areas where it's been abandoned. Many areas of the City don't have a grocery store nearby, and the reason for that is that grocery store chains won't open, or operate, stores in neighborhoods where the population density has dropped too low.

For example, it might be in the City's interest long-term to give the vacant lots away to owners who intend to erect a new house on them. The land transfer would be contingent on the prospective property owner having cash money to build, financing, and a house design submitted with a date-of-completion plan. The City could also give the property owner a 10-year property tax abatement on the lot, and improved house.

Another thing the City could do is work with HUD to organize lenders that will help finance these new houses.

HUD already works with certain lenders like US Bank to provide financing for low-income residents buying their first homes, and there are no restrictions in what neighborhood one can buy. Thus, there is no red-lining where one can get a loan in certain neighborhoods--like east of Troost. The City also already gives a limited number of homeowner down payment grants each year through the Kansas City Dream Home program, to buy existing houses. Why couldn't they extend the same grant program to residents erecting a new house on a land bank lot?

I know the Dream Home program isn't going to get a lot of houses built. However, if the City worked with HUD, and say US Bank, to make lending available for new home construction in older parts of the city where most of these land bank lots are, it would make a tremendous difference. The program should also include renovation loans so residents can purchase abandoned houses in the land bank that can be feasibly renovated.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

How is the 3100 block of Troost doing these days? I used to always check it out when (1) living in midtown and I remember when they redid the sidewalks and was excited for something to happen and (2) visiting town, but I havent driven down Troost in years, now. It always reminded me of Delmar or Cherokee and I always saw the massive potential outgrowth from that anchor/node with the right champion, but the spark never seemed to ignite in the way I had hoped.

Also, what the heck? Streetview says: 3121 Труст Авеню, Kansas City, Missouri, United States...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Warwick, while you were out of town, Troost was taken over by the Russians.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

FangKC wrote:Warwick, while you were out of town, Troost was taken over by the Russians.
someone needs to take ownership of it. :o

i was looking at 1950s-60s aerials, and it looks like there was a lot of dense multi-family north of that 3100 block node, and it was mostly intact as of the late 60s, but i'm missing the critical 1970s-80s gap that might show a mass demolition of properties. judging from the aerial footprints with the slight setbacks and distinctive massing, there seems to have been a lot of these guys like at 3100 Forest with the porches: http://goo.gl/maps/Zgo1K up and down Troost.

these kinds of long apartment buildings with the unusual but quaint ground level community front porches seem to be an endangered species in kc (not the colonnade).
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The loss of population there started happening after the riots in 1968.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

More new houses being built on Charlotte south of 27th Street.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

These two new houses are being built around the corner on Campbell south of 27th Street. You can see them in the background of the photo above of the new houses on Charlotte.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I made of this drawing to show placement of the houses being built now (in red), and also to show other land parcels that are for sale nearby. At least two of the parcels indicated (in yellow) appear to have been sold. The real estate signs on the lots had a sold placard across them today. I wonder if the developer of the houses above has purchased those to build more houses.

TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

There's a lot on the northside of 27th on Campbell that's for sale as well.

This is in Longfellow, BTW.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

FangKC wrote: At least two of the parcels indicated (in yellow) appear to have been sold. The real estate signs on the lots had a sold placard across them today. I wonder if the developer of the houses above has purchased those to build more houses.
From what I've heard, it is not same developer (John Hoffman) who bought these lots.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Not sure if this is the correct thread or not...
I don't know if this is news, but I noticed a Centric Projects trailer parked on the side of that ugly office bldg at 301 E. Armour. Has it been there for a while or are they getting ready to start the conversion of that one into residential?

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

There have been a lot of permits related to this building of late, so I'm thinking they're about to start work.

KCDowntown
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

where's chrizow.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Word is that MAC is about to start that building and the former Hostess bldg on the north side of Armour next to Burger King.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I drove by this building on Tuesday and there was a notice on the door about rezoning, so think the process is still underway.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

town cow wrote:Word is that MAC is about to start that building
They had previously said they planned to start in March, as soon as the last remaining tenants were out of that building, so I do expect work to start soon.
town cow wrote: and the former Hostess bldg on the north side of Armour next to Burger King.
Interesting. Any word on the plans for the Hostess building?

Also, there has been some activity at the controversial buildings at Wyandotte and Armour that Mac wanted to tear down. Anyone know anything about that? I thought those were going to be stuck in limbo for a while longer.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I was thinking the former office building at Gillham/Armour was going to be mixed-use with a fairly substantial retail component?

That is what this corridor needs now to start to function as a true neighborhood node. I'd love to see a decent coffee shop and/or high-quality local restaurant/bar go in anywhere along Armour. Hyde Park needs at least a small amount of walkable retail to really take off, IMO.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

rxlexi wrote:I was thinking the former office building at Gillham/Armour was going to be mixed-use with a fairly substantial retail component?
Unless the plans have changed, there should still be a fairly substantial retail/commercial component. If I recall correctly, it will be the first two floors of the building with four good sized retail/office locations.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Fencing is now up around the office building and construction trailer in place.