hyde park: believe the hype?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: hyde park: believe the hype?

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

DaveKCMO wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Its in Old Hyde Park, don't think there is a sub thread for Old Hyde Park.
my understanding is the only thing that separates the two is that OHP is the part that is a registered historic neighborhood?
Nope, they are two separate neighborhoods with separate neighborhood associations. Parts of the North Hyde Park are in a registered historic district as well.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Fox4 did a news segment on multiple break-ins in Hyde Park and interviewed a resident who will be moving because she feels unsafe. Unfortunate to hear. They actually included a map as well, to their credit, rather than saying something ambiguous like "in the Plaza area."

http://fox4kc.com/2016/11/15/dozens-of- ... own-homes/
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

A friend's house in SHP was broken into twice in three days a few weeks ago. The second time, the burglar came through the master bedroom while he and his wife were asleep. Nobody was harmed, but that's a very scary situation.
jasty5
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jasty5 »

chaglang wrote:A friend's house in SHP was broken into twice in three days a few weeks ago. The second time, the burglar came through the master bedroom while he and his wife were asleep. Nobody was harmed, but that's a very scary situation.
The police did just send out something to the neighborhood association that they caught one of the guys that has been working the neighborhood. This seems to happen in waves until the perps are caught.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

New life for the old Bitterman building: http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ation.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... ml?ana=twt
The massive structure that has stood vacant at 911 Linwood Blvd. for 30 years is expected to be transformed into 95 market-rate apartments.

On Thursday, the Planned Industrial Expansion Authority board supported the $12 million project by approving an 18-year, 88 percent property tax abatement for the developer, Leawood-based Brickstone Capital Partners LLC.

Charles Renner, a Husch Blackwell LLP attorney representing the developer, said the six-story brick building, constructed as the Belmont Hotel in 1912, has qualified for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places, making the project eligible for state and historic tax credits, as well.

Even so, Renner said, the developers still face a financing gap, which could qualify the project for one of the first grants from the new Shared Solutions Fund that Kansas City is expected to create to boost projects in distressed census tracts.
Has there been any progress on this project?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Not really. That building, the corners of Linwood and Troost, and the 3100 block of Troost keep getting linked to one another in half-baked development deals that predictably fall through. For example, John Hoffman said a few weeks ago at KC-CUR that he's waiting to launch a development at Linwood and Troost until the 3100 block gets moving... but one of the guys angling for the 3100 block is intent on getting the Belmont before he starts. The wild card in this are the Herrons, who own the Belmont and much of the 3100 block, and have managed for years to simultaneously string everyone along and not sell any of their properties.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Some documents have shown up on the Development Tracker Map for 3 new duplexes at 3917-3925 Kenwood (3 bedroom units). Looks like it will involve the tear down of an out of place 60's ranch and one original, historic building (looks like a house split up into apartments). I'm sure the original building is in rough shape, but I still would have like to have seen it saved if possible.

Still, this seems like a good development. That block of Kenwood is probably one of the most forlorn in all of Hyde Park and it is very visible, as it faces the park. Good to see some duplexes being build - I definitely think there is a market for them.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Any renderings of the new duplexes?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I don't see any renderings, but there are elevations.

It looks like all 3 will be the same design (I hope they can vary some of the materials or colors). I do like that the design includes porches.

*Edit: Found this on the architect's Facebook page. I like it, but I'm sure some neighbors will complain that is too modern and too dense.

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, looks cool to me. as you say, that block is presently rather sad.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Who is the architect?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Webster Architects out of Olathe. I wasn't familiar with them. Looks like they don't have too big of a portfolio and mostly do suburban single family homes.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I really wish the city would rethink setbacks in urban areas. The same square footage would allow for larger yards.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Ah, but one of the benefits of living in midtown is that there’s a vacant lot adjacent to every house. Plenty of room!
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

These duplexes are rising up pretty quickly. I will be curious to see the finishes, but I like the way these are shaping up.

I think these could be a good model for infill on side streets in Midtown. I think there is a demand for duplexes, which don't seem to be getting built often. These aren't super dense, but with 3 beds in each unit, that is 18 bedrooms in a fairly small footprint. Plus, it is less likely to offend NIMBYs and in many cases, wouldn't require a zoning change. I have no idea what they will be charging for these, but I would think that if split 3 ways, the rent should be reasonable.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

With an increasing percentage of KCMO households occupied by one person, this type of development is much needed since it would help maintain current population densities in neighborhoods.

This type of development also allows intergenerational families to live together, and with a quickly-aging population, this will be necessary for many families.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Stack this basic kind of one floor design one on top of each other, make it fit into the neighborhood from the front and you can get two homes on a lot and both are totally functional for a family.

https://www.floorplans.com/plan/966-squ ... sman-31504
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

New house being constructed at 918 E. 28th Street.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There appears to be some site preparation going on parcels starting at 2738 Campbell

and at 2816 Campbell.

I have indicated the new house, and the lots with activity on the map using red stars. The blue squares are recently-finished houses.