St. Lukes Hospital

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCDevin

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by KCDevin »

Does anyone know anything about the expansion that St. Lukes Hospital is supposed to get? I work there and im just wondering about it... :)
KCDevin

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by KCDevin »

can someone please reply? :(
KCPowercat
Ambassador

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by KCPowercat »

you should be our source for it then? I know there is a big announcement supposed to come that will result in a lot of building new structures.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDevin

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by KCDevin »

i dont know much, there have been some construction cranes, but nothing big, (last december or november :))
they are supposed to demolish the buildings across from the south parking lot, and the buildings are at least supposed to be taller than the one we are in, which is at least 4-6+ stories.
Itll be nice, our office manager says that we might be up in the taller portion because we need room :)
anyhow i dont know much, im just like a seasonal employee, i can work when i want to :)
so i dont know much. its supposed to start this summer though :)
Shawn
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by Shawn »

St. Luke's plans big improvements
By JULIUS A. KARASH
The Kansas City Star

St. Luke's Health System on Friday filed a $150 million-plus development plan designed to bring the hospital's Country Club Plaza-area campus up to 21st century standards.

The plan for the hospital's Wornall Road campus includes two new patient towers with private suites and 1,100 additional parking spaces. The plan calls for three new entrances, a new power plant, additional green space, more signs to direct patients and the closing of Wornall Road between 43rd and 45th streets.

St. Luke's officials said converting to all-private rooms would appeal to patients and their families, allow for more efficient use of beds and make room for modern bedside medical equipment.

"We're renovating so that we'll be, as we have been in the past, the most up-to-date hospital in the greater Kansas City region," said G. Richard Hastings, president and chief executive officer of St. Luke's Health System.

St. Luke's proposal is the latest in a surge of Kansas City area hospital improvement plans. Besides ongoing expansion at KU Med and Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, North Kansas City Hospital recently announced plans for a $135 million expansion, and HCA Inc. plans to spend $450 million on capital improvements over the next five years if it completes its proposed purchase of Health Midwest.

Hastings said St. Luke's master plan represented the biggest upgrade since it built its Mid America Heart Institute in the early 1980s and early '90s.

John Leifer, an Overland Park health care consultant, said St. Luke's master plan proposal was a major commitment to serving Kansas City's urban core.

"I cannot overstress the importance of having a local controlled, faith-based system that is committed to meeting the needs of the entire community -- inclusive of the urban core," Leifer said.

Hastings said it was too soon to say if the project would lead to increased employment at St. Luke's, which employs 3,452 people at its Wornall campus and has an annual payroll of $112.4 million there. He said he was sure that the project would not lead to fewer employees, despite expectations of greater workplace efficiency.

Though the plan seeks to give St. Luke's the space and power plant it needs for new medical equipment, the $150 million-plus price tag does not include new equipment.

St. Luke's does not expect the master plan project to require any approvals from the Missouri Health Facilities Review Committee, which oversees the state's certificate-of-need program. The plan does not call for additional inpatient beds at the hospital, which is licensed for 630 beds.

However, certain pieces of medical equipment that are added following the renovation are expected to require state approval.

The proposal is scheduled to be heard by the City Plan Commission in early April. St. Luke's hopes to begin work this summer by tearing down the existing St. Luke's College of Nursing, which is to be the site of the new power plant. The nursing college will be relocated temporarily to the 8300 block of Ward Parkway. Plans call for it to be relocated on the St. Luke's campus.

St. Luke's officials said the 25-year master development plan would allow it to do construction work as needed, without repeatedly seeking city approvals.

The proposal does not call for any use of tax-increment financing, which diverts taxes into a special pool to help pay for a development. St. Luke's, a nonprofit entity, does not pay property taxes.

St. Luke's said that the project would not cause it to expand beyond the boundaries of its existing campus, and that it would not cause the removal of any of the approximately 130 residential properties in the neighborhood that are owned by Westport Today, a subsidiary of the St. Luke's Hospital Foundation.

The hospital has been discussing the project with neighborhood residents for some time. Hilda Gibbs, president of the Plaza-Westport Neighborhood Association, said St. Luke's began holding meetings with her group last spring.

"The plan looks pretty good," Gibbs said. "We have to have a hospital in midtown. I am glad they are remodeling their facilities, because there will be a great demand for all the new technology that is coming out."

But St. Luke's proposal does not sit well with Nathan Kline, a nearby resident who has helped organize efforts to preserve single-family housing in the neighborhood.

"This is a residential neighborhood," Kline said. "We are in danger of overdevelopment here."

Tom Brenneis, president of the Westport Merchants Association, said the St. Luke's proposal "complements what we're trying to do with the neighborhood. The presence of St. Luke's in our neighborhood continues to have a positive impact on our business."

Hastings said the campus plan demonstrated a decision by the hospital that "the history of St. Luke's is Kansas City, and we are committed to that, not only in the short term but in the long term."

Of the $150 million-plus price tag for the project, Hastings said one-third would come from operating income, one-third would come from revenue bonds and one-third would come from philanthropy.

The master plan proposal consists of two phases.

The first phase is scheduled over the next 10 years. It would include a multistory patient building that would connect to the main hospital building. The new building, which would be on the west side of Wornall Road, would contain 324,000 square feet and be next to a new 538-space parking garage.

The new patient care building would connect to the existing hospital with a 16,800-square-foot, multistory link. The link is designed to facilitate movement of staff, patients and visitors between the two structures.

The first phase also would include:

• A second new multistory patient building on the west side of Wornall Road.

• Renovation and reconstruction of the main hospital to allow for updated, private patient rooms.

• Expansion of the Mid America Heart Institute and Mid America Brain and Stroke Institute, and an additional 168-space parking garage.

• Construction of a multistory structure to house hospital service functions and medical, educational and administrative offices and 600 covered parking spaces at the northeast corner of 43rd Street and Wornall Road. Three existing hospital buildings, used for administrative offices and outpatient surgery, would be torn down for these additions.

• Construction of an eight-story, 328-space parking garage, to be added to the existing Medical Plaza parking garages on the west side of the hospital campus.

The first phase would add 593,000 square feet of building space to the campus, for a total of nearly two million square feet -- not counting garages and three existing medical office buildings.

The second phase is to take place from about 2014 to 2025. It would provide for growth in areas now occupied by St. Luke's surface parking lots on the northwestern edge of the campus.

Plans for the second phase include the construction of four three-story buildings for uses such as medical offices, a medical clinic or medical educational. A 497-space parking garage would accompany this segment of the project.

The second phase would add 286,500 square feet of buildings to the campus, for a total of nearly 2.3 million square feet.

St. Luke's officials hope to close Wornall Road near the hospital to allow for improved pedestrian connections. Expanded green spaces would include park benches, eating areas and a meditation space.

"We will be hub," Hastings said. With improvements being made at nearby KU Med, he said, "we really are building a foundation for Kansas City to be the health-care center of this region."

The financial figures for the master development plan do not include approximately $22 million worth of expansion and renovation projects underway at the Wornall campus.

St. Luke's dates back to 1885, when it opened a 50-bed hospital at 1005 Campbell St. It has operated at its current location since 1902. It is known for its Mid America Heart Institute, Mid America Brain and Stroke Institute, neonatal intensive care services and its Level 3 trauma center, which provides the most intensive level of trauma care.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KCDevin

St. Lukes Hospital

Post by KCDevin »

i had two chances to go down there because my dad had to have a stent and balloon put in because he had his first clogged artery. But i didnt feel like it (even though i work there, i dont feel good in hospitals especially when someone i love is there)