200 block W Gregory? (Old Brandsmart)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

200 block W Gregory? (Old Brandsmart)

Post by chingon »

Anyone know what this is going to be? There's some extensive new additions/renovations underway, but it appears the Brandsmart sign will remain.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: 200 block W Gregory? (Old Brandsmart)

Post by studentper »

There's a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.  If I recall, I thought it was going to be condos, and the guy developing it is just really, really slow, but he's done other projects in the city.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

studentper wrote: There's a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.  If I recall, I thought it was going to be condos, and the guy developing it is just really, really slow, but he's done other projects in the city.
That's a weird looking project, huh? I believe it's being done by the Abdiana guy, so it'll probably take nearly a decade to complete.
studentper
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by studentper »

thanks, i think your right about abdiana.  i haven't seen the "progress" in a couple months.  a signboard with renderings of the finished exterior would really help.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I thought high-end retail was going to be going into it?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Boy that was a fun place to go with your dad to look at high-dollar VCRs back in the eighties.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Tosspot wrote: Boy that was a fun place to go with your dad to look at high-dollar VCRs back in the eighties.
as was VOLUME off 435 and 23rd and whatever.  our VCR was like $600!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Some friends of my parents had one of the very first home VCR's I ever saw - the thing actually came in two pieces - there was one small suitcase-sized box where you put the tape and another small suitcase-sized box wired to it that actually had all of the controls (which were mechanical push button - like an old tape deck).  I am sure they paid a small fortune for the thing. 
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

I think I remember that VCR. Made the loudest noise ever when it opened. First movie I watched on that bad boy was An Officer and a Gentleman. Great movie for a 5 year old. No wonder I cuss all the time.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

We had a top loading VCR.  Thing weighed as much as a tube tv.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

The bottom sure looks like retail, with several bays and metal french doors. I still don't understand why the Brandsmart signage has been left up and even built around.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

Selling TVs in the early 80s while is school we had this monster Magnavox VCR, top-loader, click-knobs on the front to select the channel and weighed as much as a Japanese car.  Coolest feature - "remote control," which was actually a box the size of a couple of packs of smokes tethered to the VCR by a 20-foot wire.  Yours for a mere $900 (in 1981 money).
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

also liked when Brands Furniture Outlet gave this tv away when you bought things. Now that was a long time ago.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

chingon wrote: The bottom sure looks like retail, with several bays and metal french doors. I still don't understand why the Brandsmart signage has been left up and even built around.
He's adding a second (and possibly third) story to the sign in order to secure extra tenants.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

a couple of weeks ago i saw some progress (glass, etc) but now it's at a standstill - anyone know anything at all?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Isn't this an Abnos project?

Sure acts/looks like one.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

loftguy wrote: Isn't this an Abnos project?

Sure acts/looks like one.
Oh yes, this is definitely an Abnos hot mess.  I believe he just added windows to enclose the building after a complaint in the Star's Watchdog column.  I don't think this was an indication of any real progress on finishing the building.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

RIDICULOUS.

I saw that glass too, and got a bit excited...probably unnecessarily.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

Saw this article online tonight even though it's a few months old:
http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/old ... ins-vacant

I have seen an uptick in activity over the last 6 months. Hopefully the activity along 63rd is acting as a catalyst for Abnos to get this project going.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

drumatix wrote:
studentper wrote: There's a thread on this somewhere, but I can't find it.  If I recall, I thought it was going to be condos, and the guy developing it is just really, really slow, but he's done other projects in the city.
That's a weird looking project, huh? I believe it's being done by the Abdiana guy, so it'll probably take nearly a decade to complete.
This is starting to seem optimistic.