KC School District Buildings... Reuse?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
TheSpaceCowboy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Location: The great wild yonder generally North and East of Kansas City, East of Sprawl Creek

Re: KC School District Buildings... Reuse?

Post by TheSpaceCowboy »

High schools

Southeast High School - 1215 East Truman Road
Southwest High School (Kansas City) - Closed in 1998[18]
West High School (Kansas City) - Closed in the 1980s[19]
Westport High School - 315 East 39th Street - Closed in 2010[20]

Elementary and middle schools

Horace Mann Elementary School
Switzer School
West Junior High School
Switzer Annex (Kansas City) - closed in 1979.[3]

Middle schools

Central Academy - 3611 East Linwood Boulevard
Lincoln College Preparatory Academy - 2012 East 23rd Street (now combined with the high school)
Bingham Junior High School (Kansas City) - Closed in 2002.[3]
Kansas City Middle School of the Arts - 4848 Woodland Avenue
Paul Robeson Middle School (Kansas City) - Became a classical Greek magnet school in 1990 and a regular middle school in 1998. The school closed in 2004.[17]

Primary schools

Askew - 2630 Topping Ave
Bancroft Elementary School (Kansas City) - Opened as a one-room school house in 1904 and closed in 2000.[3]
Blenheim - 2411 East 70th Terrace
Bryant- 319 Westover Rd
Cook - 7302 Pennsylvania Avenue
R.J. DeLano - 3708 East Linwood Boulevard (served students with special needs)
Douglas - 2640 Bellview Avenue
East Elementary School - 6400 East 23rd Street
Benjamin Franklin - 1325 Washington St. (Opened 1900, closed 1973)
C. A. Franklin - 3400 Highland Avenue
Greenwood School (Kansas City) - Opened in 1900, closed in 1997.[3]
Knotts - 7301 Jackson Avenue
Ladd - 3640 Benton Boulevard
Longan - 3421 Cherry Street
Norman School (Kansas City), Norman, which opened in 1901, was Kansas City's first stone exterior building. Located in the Valentine neighborhood, the building served as a teacher resource center after being a school. The building closed in 2005.[17]
Manchester School (Kansas City) - Manchester joined Kansas City district in 1899. The final building, which opened in 1920, was delayed due to World War I.[17]
Moore - 4510 East Linwood Boulevard
Northeast Elementary School - 4904 Independence Avenue
Pinkerton - 6409 Agnes Avenue
Scarritt - 3509 Anderson Avenue
Seven Oaks Elementary School (Kansas City) - Seven Oaks was in its own school district before Kansas City annexed it in 1913. It was named after Sevenoaks in England. Seven Oaks closed in 2003.[17]
Thacher Elementary School (Kansas City) - Originally built in 1900, the facility was closed in the 1990s after being an annex to Northeast Middle School. For one year it served as an eighth grade center before closing in the northern hemisphere summer of 2009. The former school was damaged by a fire in 2011[21]
Nelson School - the building is now part of UMKC, and is called "Grant Hall"[22]
Weeks - 4201 Indiana Avenue
West Rock Creek - 8820 East 27th Street
Frances Willard School (Kansas City) - Willard closed in 1998.* Seven Oaks Elementary School (Kansas City) - Seven Oaks was in its own school district before Kansas City annexed it in 1913. It was named after Sevenoaks in England. Seven Oaks closed in 2003.[17]
Woodland - 711 Woodland Avenue
I believe in the numbers.
TheSpaceCowboy
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Location: The great wild yonder generally North and East of Kansas City, East of Sprawl Creek

Post by TheSpaceCowboy »

Copy and pasted from wikipedia.
I believe in the numbers.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

there's a bit of a problem with your list, they're only selling 30 schools/pieces of property. your list has 38.

it's also missing 9 schools they're selling so it's that much more off. So your list has 17 properties not being sold.
McCoy Elementary School
Meservey
Dunbar
Swinney Elementary School
Chick
Fairview
Graceland
Marborough
Pinkerton

here's the official site. there's 24 there right now, some pending
http://www.surpluskcschools.com/
that probably means they probably finalized 6 properties (got the money) and took them down.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

For some reason its really funny to me that there is a website slingin' KC's extra schools.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Realistically, you can probably cross Bryant off that list. The neighborhood has shot down a couple of proposals and seems to be very happy with the building empty.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

Here's a bit of information about the current Switzer school (Westside KC) redevelopment plan that's being kicked around. Looks like just under 100 units total are being proposed, with many of them in new construction townhouses behind the school along West Pennway & Madison. If I knew more or had better links I'd post more... but this is about all I've got.

http://www.westsidehousing.org/pdf/West ... 202012.pdf
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Design plan for the Bancroft School site.

http://www.bnim.com/work/bancroft-school-redevelopment
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I predict the internal courtyard area becomes a haven for crime. A la Jane Jacobs.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:I predict the internal courtyard area becomes a haven for crime. A la Jane Jacobs.
Am I wrong in thinking those new buildings look really bleak? I would love to know what happened between the original renderings with the balconies and facade jogging in and out, and the blocky things in the latest renderings.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

pash wrote:Biz Journal: Westside Housing Organization floats plans for Kansas City mixed-use project
Gloria Ortiz-Fisher, the organization’s executive director, said the plan calls for turning Switzer High School and West Junior High, which have sat vacant for more than 30 years, into 98 units of low-income and market-rate housing. The split will be 60 percent low-income, 40 percent market-rate, Ortiz-Fisher said.

The site is along Madison Avenue between 18th and 20th streets. ...
this plan has them tearing out the community garden and putting in a community garden less than a block away

sure....
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

That's fine with me. The current garden looks like it's in a bomb crater.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:
this plan has them tearing out the community garden and putting in a community garden less than a block away

sure....
Why not? They are the ones who made possible the garden in its existing space. I don't get the skepticism.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:
pash wrote:Biz Journal: Westside Housing Organization floats plans for Kansas City mixed-use project
Gloria Ortiz-Fisher, the organization’s executive director, said the plan calls for turning Switzer High School and West Junior High, which have sat vacant for more than 30 years, into 98 units of low-income and market-rate housing. The split will be 60 percent low-income, 40 percent market-rate, Ortiz-Fisher said.

The site is along Madison Avenue between 18th and 20th streets. ...

sure....
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:That's fine with me. The current garden looks like it's in a bomb crater.
that's actually a method to control storm water runoff.

there's similar pits around the metro. I know there's on in North Oak Village (Vivion and N. Oak)
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

loftguy wrote:
flyingember wrote:

sure....
Why not? They are the ones who made possible the garden in its existing space. I don't get the skepticism.
why are they spending the money again? seems like a waste.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

flyingember wrote:
chaglang wrote:That's fine with me. The current garden looks like it's in a bomb crater.

there's similar pits around the metro. I know there's on in North Oak Village (Vivion and N. Oak)

Afraid it is not a storm water retention. It is the remnant of the basement of a building that was on the site and demolished a decade ago.

To answer your question about "why move it?" The cost of moving a community garden is pretty minimal. The garden use here was intended to be temporary, until a greater use of the land was feasible.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I absolutely say they should move this garden and put housing there. I am 100% for urban gardening as a way to improve vacant land, but the ongoing state of that corner is abysmal and more of an eyesore than anything. It is the kind of urban garden that gives urban gardens a bad name...you can barely tell it is a garden...
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

loftguy wrote:
flyingember wrote:

Afraid it is not a storm water retention. It is the remnant of the basement of a building that was on the site and demolished a decade ago.
Yep. A storm water retention/detention pond for a lot that size would be nowhere that big or deep.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

smh wrote:I predict the internal courtyard area becomes a haven for crime. A la Jane Jacobs.
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

If serious, what internal court yard are you referring to? I don't see one on the images provided.