West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by paisstat »

I live in the Volker neighborhood between Westport and the stateline. I really think that W 43rd st from SW Trafficway and Stateline Rd needs some improvement. There are a few new businesses that just opened up, inclucding that little Italian eatery. Most of the buildings are occupied and there is fine housing stock just north and south of the street. The Lutheran church just redid its steps and there are great old trees on the property. On the otherhand, the sidewalks are in bad shape (they should be widened along with narrowing of the street itself and trees should be planted) and the utility poles should be put behind the buildings. There are several 'holes' in the streetscape. Sites on which buildings could be built. The area just across from Rudi's really needs infill, now its just a weedy lot. Again, small infill buildings, possible connecting from behind. I would like to see angled parking put in as well. These improvments would instantly improve this area and bring more stability to midtown.
KCgridlock

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by KCgridlock »

Did Westport Pizza close?
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by paisstat »

Honestly I don't know if it is still open or not, I haven't noticed. What do you think about reconfiguring the traffic at the intersection of SW Trafficway, Westport Rd and 43Rd. Maybe a traffic circle or a variation on that. Either way, the nice trees in the green space need to be preserved. That area needs to be better taken care of. The city lets the grass get very high before cutting it, and the trees aren't very well trimmed. I was glad to see that ugly little white church torn down. Now, they just need to tear down the little white church on the other end of City Center, near St. Lukes.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by dangerboy »

Sadly Westport Pizza is gone, as is the church. I would love to see improvements to the Trafficway/Westport/43rd St. intersection. The grassy island is really to isolated to be useful, so I wouldn't mind taking some of it away in order to add turn lanes all around. The worst part of Westport Road is the abscence of O'Connor's - it was one of best neighborhood pubs anywhere :(
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by Brooksider »

I liked that little church. I bet the strip center is adding on. The engineering firm is remodeling their building on the south side of the triangle. I think that triangle is a perfect place for a big fountain.
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

West 43rd/Westport Rd.

Post by paisstat »

I couldn't agree more, a fountain would be perfect for the location, I still think the streets should be realighned there, possibly into some tort of a roundabout. That church was a tiny fundamentalist eyesore, I was just waiting for it to go.