UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: UMKC projects

Post by earthling »

Great news that the main library will be redone. Didn't read the link but was thinking the library really needs an update. UMKC seems to be making (and has been making) a lot of progress the last few years.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

More great news (I think):

UMKC considering name change to "University of Kansas City".
http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/07/36 ... me-to.html
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote:More great news (I think):

Terrible idea. Why not just rename everything in metro KC, to Kansas rather than Kansas City? That's essentially what's going on here. Just like the Missouri rep changing to Kansas City Rep, the main reason is to make Kansas side people feel comfortable with supporting it.

I went to UMKC and proudly say I went there. Out here I think UMKC actually helps its image as people instantly know that you are talking about Kansas City, Missouri. When you just say Kansas City out here, people go into "kansas" stupid mode, the Missouri part seems to remind people that KC is not Topeka, but more like St Louis. It really that way. Kansas has much worse image than Missouri, deserved or not.

Changing the name will do nothing. Would changing the name of UCLA change the image of that school?

I think UMKC has really come a long way in building up the campus and trying to make the school stand out more. KC desperately needs a larger urban university and it would be nice if they built up a sports program so KC actually has its own college sports to follow rather than state schools. Most big cities have this, KC just piggy backs on MU and KU and Kstate and ignores UMKC sports. Most large metros have popular urban college sports teams.

Regardless, spend this effort in figuring out a way to extend streetcars to UMKC. You want to help UMKC? Try connecting it to the rest of the urban core for crying out loud. Leave the name alone, unless they really do pull out of the MU system.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

GRID wrote:

Terrible idea. Why not just rename everything in metro KC, to Kansas rather than Kansas City? That's essentially what's going on here. Just like the Missouri rep changing to Kansas City Rep, the main reason is to make Kansas side people feel comfortable with supporting it.

I went to UMKC and proudly say I went there. Out here I think UMKC actually helps its image as people instantly know that you are talking about Kansas City, Missouri. When you just say Kansas City out here, people go into "kansas" stupid mode, the Missouri part seems to remind people that KC is not Topeka, but more like St Louis. It really that way. Kansas has much worse image than Missouri, deserved or not.

Changing the name will do nothing. Would changing the name of UCLA change the image of that school?

I think UMKC has really come a long way in building up the campus and trying to make the school stand out more. KC desperately needs a larger urban university and it would be nice if they built up a sports program so KC actually has it's own college sports to follow rather than state schools.

Regardless, spend this effort in figuring out a way to extend streetcars to UMKC. You want to help UMKC? Try connecting it to the rest of the urban core for crying out loud. Leave the name alone, unless they really do pull out of the MU system.
It will be good for Kansas City's image. When people talk about UMKC, who the fuck knows what they're talking about outside of the KC area or their sports conference? UKC will be like SLU. People will eventually call it "Kansas City", just like they call SLU "Saint Louis". I think that's a good thing for the school and the city's image...especially if the bball team can ever get its act together and make the NCAA tourney someday.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

kcmetro wrote:
GRID wrote:

I think UMKC has really come a long way in building up the campus and trying to make the school stand out more. KC desperately needs a larger urban university and it would be nice if they built up a sports program so KC actually has it's own college sports to follow rather than state schools.

It will be good for Kansas City's image. When people talk about UMKC, who the fuck knows what they're talking about outside of the KC area or their sports conference? UKC will be like SLU. People will eventually call it "Kansas City", just like they call SLU "Saint Louis". I think that's a good thing for the school and the city's image...especially if the bball team can ever get its act together and make the NCAA tourney someday.
I just think you have to create a reason for people to care what UMKC means. Changing the name won't do that. Would they know what UKC means any better?
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

GRID wrote:

I think UMKC has really come a long way in building up the campus and trying to make the school stand out more. KC desperately needs a larger urban university and it would be nice if they built up a sports program so KC actually has its own college sports to follow rather than state schools. Most big cities have this, KC just piggy backs on MU and KU and Kstate and ignores UMKC sports. Most large metros have popular urban college sports teams.

I don't think its about make Kansas people more comfortable. Its about creating a separate identity from Mizzou.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

AF wrote:
GRID wrote:

I don't think its about make Kansas people more comfortable. Its about creating a separate identity from Mizzou.
Exactly.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

IMO, schools seem stronger and more prestigious if they aren't attached in name to a state-wide university system. I know that might sound dumb, but I think that rings true for a lot of people. It makes it seem less like a branch of a larger system and more independent.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

AF wrote:
GRID wrote:

That would be great if the University of Kansas City never became UMKC and had a long history and its own culture. So they will get away from a pretty well known and established university system and try to build a brand new image from scratch by changing the name? Changing the name just sounds cheap, especially if it's still part of MU.

UMKC even stated that they changed the MO rep to KC rep to get more support from kansas side residents. It was even pushed by ks side resents. UMKC gets a lot of its students from JoCo and other parts of KS, so that might be an issue as well because many people in KS do not like to be associated with anything mizzou or at least would rather not be if at all possible. It's silly I know, but people will do anything when it comes to marketing.

Like I said, I think a super high priority for UMKC should be to figure a way to tie it to the Plaza, Westport etc with something besides buses. The UMKC campus is really disconnected from the urban core and that could be improved quite a bit.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm fine with the name change I guess. I have always wanted to see UMKC go to the next level. I'm just not sure this would do much. I guess it won't hurt. But trust me, it won't help UMKC's image outside of KC at all. Other things need to be done to improve that.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Pork Chop »

GRID wrote:I'm fine with the name change I guess. I have always wanted to see UMKC go to the next level. I'm just not sure this would do much. I guess it won't hurt. But trust me, it won't help UMKC's image outside of KC at all. Other things need to be done to improve that.

I think it all helps in a way to rebrand KC as well. These are all baby steps along the way to create a better image of KC not only in the states, but the globe as well. Having a strong research university associated with KC will be a part of that. The name change is only one small step in that direction.

For UMKC, creating a seperate campus for the Arts will help, investing in residential housing will help, building on the Block School of Management will help etc.

Personally, I hope they will be able to find a way to invest in their engineering school as well.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I hear what you're saying GRID, a name change alone won't do much, but a name change in collaboration with all the other stuff they're doing - major expansion of the Bloch School, national prominence for the business school, creating more of a campus feel at the school - I think it could make a huge difference.

I agree with Metro - it sounds more prestigious not to be affiliated with a school system in your name. I think because in many states, the regional schools are dumpy little outposts for rural students, hollow shells of the anchor institution.

This is not the case with UMKC at all. It was a pretty good school on its own that decided to join the UM system. But its affiliation has put it in that "regional school" category in the minds of many would-be students.

This name change also really drives home the point that KC has a major educational institution. I think at first glance many outsiders may not even think that since UMKC is not obviously a KC school on its name alone. This is good for UMKC, and good for Kansas City.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

How about changing both UMKC and KUMED to the University of Kansas City and Kansas City Medical Center? Get away from both KU and MU and build up a KC based university system. Then those two can work together and really do something.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'd like to see that, but I think KU Med has already built up their brand name and I'm not sure having "Kansas City" in their name adds as much as it does for UMKC? What exactly does it bring to KU Med?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCMax wrote:I'd like to see that, but I think KU Med has already built up their brand name and I'm not sure having "Kansas City" in their name adds as much as it does for UMKC? What exactly does it bring to KU Med?
I was just thinking big. If KUMed and UMKC were part of a new KC based university, I think they could really take it up a notch. You would have a KCK and KCMO campus of a very powerful urban university system based in the city and not having to feel as if either were second thoughts of MU or KU.

The interaction between the two would grow, you could built transit connecting them etc and they would be much larger as one rather than two independent schools and that might help them build a "KC" sports program as well.

I don't know just crazy ideas.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

I don't see anything wrong with changing the name to University of Kansas City. The related branding/signage/letterhead should continue to say a member of the University of Missouri System. My impression is that UMKC grads would prefer to continue to receive a diploma that says University of Missouri on it somewhere.

It will help for basketball as the team will be refered to as "Kansas City" instead of UMKC (just like University of Cincinnati). I doubt if it will help with academics. The question is will it help with fund raising?

Of course the UMKC facilty is notoriously fickle and outspoken. Wonder what their position will be.

By itself the name change won't do much, but rebranding could be part of a larger marketing campagin to increase the profile of the University.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I hear what you're saying GRID, a name change alone won't do much, but a name change in collaboration with all the other stuff they're doing - major expansion of the Bloch School, national prominence for the business school, creating more of a campus feel at the school - I think it could make a huge difference.

I agree with Metro - it sounds more prestigious not to be affiliated with a school system in your name. I think because in many states, the regional schools are dumpy little outposts for rural students, hollow shells of the anchor institution.

This is not the case with UMKC at all. It was a pretty good school on its own that decided to join the UM system. But its affiliation has put it in that "regional school" category in the minds of many would-be students.

This name change also really drives home the point that KC has a major educational institution. I think at first glance many outsiders may not even think that since UMKC is not obviously a KC school on its name alone. This is good for UMKC, and good for Kansas City.
agreed on all points. I would go even further and say that UMKC will never be taken seriously, even within the metro, as an urban research university until they change the name and rid themselves of the "second-class" image it presents.

Also, I think any enhanced regional draw the name change might have (i.e. associating the school more intensely with Kansas/Kansans) would be a great thing for the region. I want UMKC to be on the minds of high quality prospective students and alumns all across the metro and beyond.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Name change just sounds like an act of desperation. Change the name and all will be well. If you are going to change the name then why not give it an identity much like the Rolla school or Truman State.
According to many of you naming it University of KC or KC University will mean most of the country will think the school is in Kansas.

The problem, if you think there is one, with UMKC is not the name.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Name change just sounds like an act of desperation. Change the name and all will be well.
No one has argued this.

And the re-branding will be a new identity - it will be clearly identified as the university of Kansas City, not just one university among many Missouri universities.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Isn't U of Cincinnati and U of Memphis apart of State School systems? Those 2 sound much better then U of Ohio at Cincinnati or U of Tennesee at Memphis