UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: UMKC projects

Post by KCTigerFan »

Additionally, UMKC would enter football most likely as a D-IAA.  Football is a revenue sport, but creating a program from scratch and then hoping to draw enough to move to D-IA is way too big of a risk.  USF and UCF did it, but they are in the center of the hotbed of Florida football, and they both took huge risks in investing tens of millions. 

I say, build up basketball, have some success there and the rest of the sports will rise.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

KC ROO wrote: From my understanding, being a division one school, equal money has to be spent on mens and womens sports, and considering the cost of a football team the school would not be able to afford to spend the same amount on womens sports as well. I could be wrong though.
I believe the rule (Title IX) states that schools must have the same number of scholarships for men and women atheletes.  Because of the large number of athletes in football, they would have to add other women's sports, while cutting mens.  Many university's men's soccer teams have been a victim of this rule.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

Biz Journal is reporting that UMKC will break ground on a $91M Music Conservatory addition in 2009.  This is in addition to the 11 other projects mentioned earlier.  The Conservatory will open in 2011 for performances. 

HUGE news for UMKC.  They need to continue to improve all of their programs however, they should really focus on their theater and music programs since those are areas that they currently have strength. 
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Persistent mold problems in the Cherry Street Hall dorms will disappear when the structure is replaced in fall 2009 by new housing for 328 students at 50th and Oak streets.The new $17 million four-story residence hall will be modeled after the Oak Street Residence Hall and is part of the university's overall plan to increase campus housing in both capacity and quality.

It was designed by Mackey Mitchell Architects of St. Louis, the same firm that designed Flarsheim Hall.
A small parking area adjacent to the new building will eventually connect to a larger parking area proposed in conjunction with the plans for the new Innovation and Technology Center at 215 Volker St. The project for 251 Volker St. is still in the financial planning stage, according to Simmons.

Another project in the pipeline is new housing on the Hospital Hill campus. One possible location is at 25th Street and Troost Avenue, but there are a couple of alternatives under study, according to Interim Vice Chancellor for Administrative Services Rick Anderson.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm excited about possible new housing along 25th and Troost since it will augment the proposed redevelopment of Beacon Hill.
There is no fifth destination.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: A small parking area adjacent to the new building will eventually connect to a larger parking area proposed in conjunction with the plans for the new Innovation and Technology Center at 215 Volker St. The project for 251 Volker St. is still in the financial planning stage, according to Simmons.
will this new structure have a massive set-back like the rest of that block? will it replace structures that already exist? isn't the russell stover HQ on this site now?
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Dave, I believe the U owns the small brick building in the upper right corner of the photo that faces Volker.  I think that's the building and area that would be involved in the Innovation Center.  I don' think they own the Stover building.
Big Sam
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Big Sam »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: I believe the rule (Title IX) states that schools must have the same number of scholarships for men and women atheletes.  Because of the large number of athletes in football, they would have to add other women's sports, while cutting mens.  Many university's men's soccer teams have been a victim of this rule.
It is not just equal scholarships, it is equal participation.

Due to the fact that males are more likely to walk-on (and women are more likely to quit when on scholarship in an effort to devote more time to studies) this becomes a huge issue.  Often, universities with football give around 10-20% more scholarships to female athletes when compared to male athletes.

Thus, football is a huge prohibitive cost if it is added (for you not only have to cover scholarship totals, but to be competitive you have to generally support a solid walk-on program, thus meaning even more scholarships to counter this on the women's side).

Later,
Sam S.
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

DaveKCMO wrote: will this new structure have a massive set-back like the rest of that block? will it replace structures that already exist? isn't the russell stover HQ on this site now?
This will fit on the existing land that once housed Twin Oaks. No new tear-down required. And Russel Stover is in the picture posted above with the new dorms...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

The "new" twin oaks

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

wow, thanks for the pictures. i havent seen umkc since early last winter.
ReutherMonkey
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ReutherMonkey »

GRID wrote: The "new" twin oaks

Uggh.
While Twin-Oaks was an eyesore, it wasn't designed half-assed like these new dorms. Smaller in size, ugly design, and definitely not as well built (you could have a party in the room next door and not hear it through the thick walls)
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

So are they still on schedule with the library expansion, new soccer field, new dorms, etc? Or is it dead in the water?
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
barkerr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by barkerr »

KansasCityChiefs wrote: So are they still on schedule with the library expansion, new soccer field, new dorms, etc? Or is it dead in the water?
Last I heard the library expansion was still a "go."
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Does anyone have any readily available pictures of Twin Oaks. I was riding the Trolley Trail with a relatively new KC resident and she didn't realize that there used to be something there.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

staubio wrote: Does anyone have any readily available pictures of Twin Oaks. I was riding the Trolley Trail with a relatively new KC resident and she didn't realize that there used to be something there.

Linking these so as to not steal bandwidth since these aren't mine...

http://www.bccp.org/images-pictures/Twin_Oaks.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/6584397.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photos/original/6584045.jpg

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media ... s0033e.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/146/3990 ... d5.jpg?v=0
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Awesome, thanks. I guess I could have done some searching myself but I appreciate it!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I've got several of my own at home, outside and inside, from when I used to live there nearly 20 years ago.  But they're old film prints, and I don't currently have access to a scanner.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

New UMKC student union design approved

Post by voltopt »

New UMKC student union design approved

http://www.kansascity.com/637/story/781647.html

Construction of the $38.3 million union is slated to begin in March 2009 and to open by August 2010.

The 108,300-square-foot student union is to be built at the intersection of Cherry and 51st streets on the UMKC campus. It will feature a sidewalk café along Cherry Street and a three-story glass wall that would wrap the corner of the building.

“It is designed to be a bright and lively building that will provide a vibrant edge along University Way, with storefronts along the ground level with entrances from inside the building and the street,” Simmons said.

"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

good to see that mid-1960s "generic education building" architecture is making a comeback.  i think they pulled that signage off my elementary school.  :)