UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: UMKC projects

Post by jimb »

Which corner is this going on?  The NE is the soccer field that they are doing a lot of work on.  NW is the old dorm.  SW is the green space around the Chancellor's residence (or at least that's what it was called back in the dark ages when I went there), and the SE is Linda Hall grounds.

It's kind of off on the edge of campus, but I guess its close to the old and new dorms.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

This may not be the right place for this but there is a house on Wornall just south of Bannister that appears to be under rehab.  There is a sign out front that says it is a project of the UMKC Interdisciplinary Studies, or something like that.  Anybody have an idea what is going on?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think the project site is the SW corner, south of the old dorms, in the green space..
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

If you go to the UMKC web site there is a section on the student union. It has a video showing the meeting where the three design finalists were reviewed. The video is long and somewhat boring but they go through the power point presentations made by each design team. Based on the renderings in the Star the first presentation was the winning team (Gould Evans?).

Anyway they show general layouts of the space for each floor. The site is just north of the chancellors residence. The east edge is cherry the north edge is University drive. In other words the site is the southwest corner of 51st and Cherry. (think north of the business school).  The track area by sweeny rec is on the opposite (north east) corner.

Looks like a good project. It will really fill in that part of the campus.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

So what will happen to the current student union?
Last edited by KansasCityChiefs on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm sorry if it seems like I complain excessively, but...

has anyone seen the new dorm buildings that replaced Twin Oaks? I do not exaggerate when I say that to me they look just as bad as the old Twin Oaks complexes did. And at least with Twin Oaks there was greater density. The whole thing just screams cheap and crappy. In only five more years I predict it will look a lot worse even.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Tosspot wrote: I'm sorry if it seems like I complain excessively, but...

has anyone seen the new dorm buildings that replaced Twin Oaks? I do not exaggerate when I say that to me they look just as bad as the old Twin Oaks complexes did. And at least with Twin Oaks there was greater density. The whole thing just screams cheap and crappy. In only five more years I predict it will look a lot worse even.
I checked out their webcam and it did not seem like the projects were very far along.
http://www.claycorp.com/web_cams/getcam.php?t=cam_umkc

I am surprised they look that bad as the renderings made them out to be a cut above the average college dorms
http://www.claycorp.com/projects/detail ... projid=453
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

That first link shows an entirely different location than the old Twin Oaks site I'm talking about. I need to get photos sometime.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Tosspot wrote: That first link shows an entirely different location than the old Twin Oaks site I'm talking about. I need to get photos sometime.
the first link is from part of the twin oaks site.  Its just very old.. if you look at the street beyond, that is clearly Brookside Blvd, and you can see the apartments on Grand across the street to the west...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The new dorms are ugly as hell!!  I noticed that too when I was home for X-mas.  Maybe nicer that they aren't as tall as the Twin Oaks (you can see the nelson now from BKS BLVD) but they are still very cheap looking.  New dorms coming in 2025.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The webcam is focusing on a plot that is not done yet (obviously).  If you look to the left corner, you can see a bit of the finished product.  Such a dynamic site...something so much better could have resulted.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I guess it will all depend on how well they maintain them.  They look like your typical, disposable, suburban, apartment complex.  If they don't take care of the paint, siding, etc. it will look like shit fast.  Will the University be like the good landlord and pay to constantly maintain that or will they let it peel and look like shit as is the case with so many private complexes of this construction. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't think they are horrible, but they sure won't age well, I agree with that.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Tosspot wrote:
has anyone seen the new dorm buildings that replaced Twin Oaks? I do not exaggerate when I say that to me they look just as bad as the old Twin Oaks complexes did.
I think not.  In 20 years, perhaps.  But, I think you are forgetting just how bad Twin Oaks was.  I live right around the corner.  Drive past these dorms every day on the way to work.  They're not exactly architectural mastery, but gimme a break...  IMO, they're a nice addition to the campus.  They are what they are.  College dorms.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I noticed the other day that the south courtyard and facade of Miller Nichols library had been demolished.  Just recently I happened upon the plans and elevations for the under construction Automatic Storage and Retrieval System, which is essentially a large stone storage box attached to the southern facade of the library.  I imagine there are mitigating factors due to the site and needs of the library, and I also imagine that the addition fits nicely into a yet to be publicized campus plan, however based on the drawings it appears the blank facade of the storage box will impede direct campus access to the library.  It would appear the primary entrance to the library would be the one on the north, facing the parking lot.  Again, I'm probably not aware of the issues of the site, but this seems to be a bad idea considering the new student union at the western terminus of 51st street, which is the east/west axis that encounters the soon to be blank south facade of the library.
KansasCityChiefs
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KansasCityChiefs »

I noticed a lot has been going on recently on the campus when driving by today. So I started looking around and here is a website outlining everything being done:

http://masterplan.umkc.edu/
Kansas City, Bleeding red since 1963.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

The rendering for the Library expansion looks cool:
Can't really tell how it ties in with the original, though.  That is really important.  The old library is the brutalist structure right?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The library is modernist, not brutalist.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Does anyone have a picture.  I am having a hard time remember exactly what it looks like.  I thought it was a rough concrete, almost windowless building...in brutalist style.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I just know that I drive by the Oak Place apartments all the time and those things are ATROCIOUS!