UMKC projects

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: UMKC projects

Post by moderne »

No rough concrete on the library.  Smooth pre-cast faux limestone.
    "A designof Marshall & Brown, the library is a fine example of the trait that was developing in architecture at that time(1968), namely the introduction of a more constructivist approach to design, along with a heavier, more robust look...the scale of the individual components, such as the projecting segments of the facade are not ponderous.  There is a gracefullness that serves the library quite well.  When analyzed one can see how simple the basic concept is, but also how subtly proportioned it is in scale and details."  George Ehrlich Kansas City, Missouri: An Architecural History
    "A contemporary structure which imparts a classical feeling because of its material, symmetrical arrangement and monumentality.  The cantilevered bays allow lights into reading areas."  Kansas City Chapter of the AIA--Kansas City
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Ahh, i see.  I saw a tiny pic of it, and yeah it looked more modern and stone covered rather than concrete brutalist like i was thinking.  It's been a while since I've driven around there.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Here's a link to updated pictures of the south exterior of the newly remodeled Miller Nichols Library.  Wow! 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umkclibrar ... 391627057/

How cool is the back-lit sheet metal? 1926 Chamber of Commerce Map of Kansas City perforated into sheet metal and illuminated from behind decorates the East and West sides of the new Miller Nichols Library Robot Addition. An original version of the map is part of the Libraries' LaBudde Special Collections
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

That's kind of cool.
Is there any significance to the year?
I wish they would have done something with the south wall.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Yeah, the south side will certainly require some innovative landscaping to bring a little life to the pedestrian experience, but I think the end pieces are really cool. 

Also, the new student union seems to be coming along nicely.  Looks like most of the exterior work is done.  Here is a live webcam that also has a complete time lapse of the construction. 

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/umkc/studentunion
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Interesting art work, but does not improve one bit a hiddeous building.  It was originally a mediocre building.  Then in the '80s they added an very awkward upper story which looks like a storage unit attic.  Now the megalthic bunker added in front adds insult to injury.  Why could they have not put this addition on the back(north side)?
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

The north side is the face that the public sees while zipping past the University. The south side is more visible to students.

Are you sure the north side is the back?
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

Link to pictures of the new student union which officially open Friday, Aug. 20th:

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/08/19/21 ... -umkc.html
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Hopefully that student union is a major step forward to attracting students and developing more of a sense of pride in the university.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

From Biz Journal, Monday 11/22
The University of Missouri Board of Curators on Monday approved nearly $45 million in debt financing for projects at the University of Missouri-Kansas City.

The board authorized financing $23 million for a parking structure at Oak Street, $18 million for a classroom addition at the Miller Nichols Library building and $4 million for University Center renovations.

Project Descriptions (http://masterplan.umkc.edu/projects-in-planning.asp):
Oak Street West parking structure

An existing parking structure and some surface parking will be replaced by this project, which will serve the Oak Street Residence Hall and the Performing Arts Center’s patrons.
Impact

This parking will help keep pace with enrollment and replace some spaces lost when the new Conservatory of Music and Dance is built.
Project Estimate: $29,170,000

Project Funding:

Debt $27,960,000
Campus $1,210,000
Interactive Learning Center Addition

An Interactive Learning Center Addition, providing more educational and support space, will be built west of the Miller Nichols Library. The complex will feature multi-use spaces for collaborative learning, library instruction, and information technology. As the smallest public university in a comparable sized city, UMKC is not able to meet the workforce needs of Kansas City adequately. The new facility will increase instructional capacity by approximately 25% to support enrollment growth.

A separate $20M project, funded by campus resources and private gifts, is underway. In this project, a new automated storage and retrieval system will permit construction on the addition to proceed while access to resources is maintained.
Project Estimate: $41,430,000

Project Funding:

State $14,880,000
Gift $10,620,000
Debt $15,930,000
Year: 2011
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

great find missingkc, thanks.  I think UMKC is slowly but surely making some good moves, especially with the Oak Street area.  It will be great to see that hideous decaying old garage go.  I really hope they add a little street front retail along Oak, to continue the successful little district that has been created along 51st/Oak including the new Red Mango and sub shop.

I also think UMKC can't build a new PAC fast enough if they want to continue to see the credibility for their excellent Conservatory of Music and Dance continue to grow.  This should be one of their key strengths to focus on in the future...
are we spinning free?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they need to narrow that part of oak, also. it's way too wide for unsignalized mid-block crossings.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Henry Bloch donates 32 million to UMKC to help fund new construction of building for School of Management
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote:
Henry Bloch donates 32 million to UMKC to help fund new construction of building for School of Management
A bit of good news to offset the AMC announcement.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kboish wrote:
Wait... giving money to higher education? That is just blasphemy. Every red-blooded american knows that private money goes to churches and public money goes to already wealthy companies.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/11/09/32 ... major.html
UMKC officially launches campaign to raise $250 million.

Once the money is raised, the foundation expects to allot $53.4 million to need and merit-based scholarships; $5 million for an honors college; and $47.3 million for 16 endowed faculty chairs, 20 endowed professorships and a faculty scholars program.

About $17 million will expand programs such as the Dental Clinic, and the Urban Education Research Center started earlier this year. About $1.5 million is to be set aside for updating the law library.

Nearly $60 million is slated for construction, including new learning areas at the Conservatory of Music and Dance; renovation of research space on Hospital Hill; and common student areas at the Miller Nichols Library
article states they have already raised $100 million as they actually started the fundraising process 2 years. They hope to finish by 2016. This includes the $32 million gift from Henry Bloch.

I think this is great. UMKC seems like they have an incredible trajectory right now to become a major university.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

construction at the conservatory of music and dance? does this mean they've given up on the proposed downtown arts campus?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I don't think so. An article in the bizjournal the other day updated the progress of the 5 big ideas and mentioned they were in the process of completing a feasability study that should be done by the beginning of next year. I would think they will update their plans once they have this completed. If they do move the campus DT I'd imagine they would need to retool the current buildings on campus for some other use as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... big-5.html
AF
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by AF »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I didn't realize they were redoing the library. Hopefully this will be a nice addition, because currently that library is very ugly and awkward to enter.