Is Westport still a hip neighborhood to live in?

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Still being under 25, I would consider Westport as one of the last urban core neighborhoods I'd move to. A few years ago, it would've been my first choice, but it seems like there's so many more unique and off the beaten path places to live within the city. Is Westport still a good place to live or has overdevelopment spoiled it?
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kc_devotee »

I guess it depends where you live in Westport. I like the richness of its history, and its mixed blue-collar, elderly, hip population...I live in Waldo now, formerly a midtowner, but would love to live in Westport at some point.
kc_devotee
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kc_devotee »

I guess it depends where you live in Westport. I like the richness of its history, and its mixed blue-collar, elderly, hip population...I live in Waldo now, formerly a midtowner, but would love to live in Westport at some point.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

I just bought a house in the Plaza/Westport area. Your assessment of who lives there is very accurate devotee. I went to my first neighborhood meeting on Tuesday...painters, old people, yuppies, latino...all types were there. Very committed people though, I was kind of surprised given the amount of rental properties in the neighborhood.

Overdevelopment is actually the hottest topic for that neighborhood right now. You'll be glad to hear every resident is fighting it tooth and nail...hopefully we will be able to preserve the housing core while allowing the edges to be developed...at least in the area directly S. of Westport. According to the "urban planning consultants" that is best for the area. We'll see.

Anyway, I definitely think it is still a hip place to live. There's just so much going on, and you can walk/bike to just about anything you need.
JBinKC
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JBinKC »

I just bought a house in the Plaza/Westport area. Your assessment of who lives there is very accurate devotee. I went to my first neighborhood meeting on Tuesday...painters, old people, yuppies, latino...all types were there. Very committed people though, I was kind of surprised given the amount of rental properties in the neighborhood.

Overdevelopment is actually the hottest topic for that neighborhood right now. You'll be glad to hear every resident is fighting it tooth and nail...hopefully we will be able to preserve the housing core while allowing the edges to be developed...at least in the area directly S. of Westport. According to the "urban planning consultants" that is best for the area. We'll see.

Anyway, I definitely think it is still a hip place to live. There's just so much going on, and you can walk/bike to just about anything you need.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Cool to know it's still a nice place to live...I guess it's just been overexposed to suburbanites as one of the of the only urban neighborhoods to live in.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It also depends on whether you think of Westport just as the area around Kelly's or include the surrounding neighborhoods. Other "hip" areas nearby include Volker (West 39th St.), West Plaza, Valentine, and the area around the Nelson and Art Institute.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Cool to know it's still a nice place to live...I guess it's just been overexposed to suburbanites as one of the of the only urban neighborhoods to live in.
Not jus' suburbanites...had a friend from NYC say that's the only KC neighborhood he'd live in as well. Reminded him of a mini-Greenwich Village.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.