The Great KC Sewer financial scare

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: The Great KC Sewer financial scare

Post by NDTeve »

Foley Company is here but parent is out of MN...interesting. Don't hear much about either Foley or OtterTail.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Any chance we could get these?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/01/18 ... inish.html

Looks like we get a reprieve - an extra decade to "get our shit together".  Har Har Har.  :lol:
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

kick that can!
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

And how does the city celebrate this happy news?  Why by shit canning the man responsible for negotiating the good deal out of some apparent political vendetta of course.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/05/18 ... -with.html
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: And how does the city celebrate this happy news?  Why by shit canning the man responsible for negotiating the good deal out of some apparent political vendetta of course.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/04/05/18 ... -with.html
A lot of people have been unhappy with him almost since he started working at City Hall. And if you watch Channel 2 at all, it was obvious this guy was struggling to live up to his job description. They were just putting with him until the EPA negotiations were over, so as not to create yet more turnover at a delicate time.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: And how does the city celebrate this happy news?  Why by shit canning the man responsible for negotiating the good deal out of some apparent political vendetta of course.
But at least he's still being paid  :?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC?s sewer upgrade approved
It?s official: Kansas City signed on the dotted line Tuesday along with federal officials, agreeing to upgrade its sewer systems at an estimated $2.5 billion over 25 years.

The outline of the agreement had been reported by The Star, but the Justice Department and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency had not yet finalized it.

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

[urlhttp://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/22/1964271/k ... start.html]
KC?s sewer upgrade could start this summer
[/url]
Barring any unforeseen complications, Kansas City?s massive, 25-year sewer upgrade could begin in earnest in two months.

?We?re anticipating getting the actual start date in July,? Terry Leeds, manager of Kansas City?s overflow control program, said Friday.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KC's own spill(s) that doesn't garner as much outrage, yet impacts our actual community. three cheers for artificially-low water and sewer rates!

State of Missouri puts Kansas City on notice for sewage spills
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Media Release
For immediate release: July 14, 2010
CONTACT:  Colleen Doctorian, (816) 513-0232, Colleen_Doctorian@kcmo.org
Public Information Officer, Water Services Department, City of Kansas City, Mo.

Water Services Department to conduct sewer rehab meeting in Middle Blue River Basin Green Solutions Pilot Project area

Residents in the City s Middle Blue River Basin Green Solutions Pilot Project area are invited to attend a public meeting to learn about how upcoming sewer rehabilitation work will impact daily activities and what residents should do during construction times.  Residents will also be able to obtain information about construction activities in or near their property from the contractor.

Hosted by the City s Water Services Department, the meeting is scheduled for Saturday, July 17th at 9 am at the Sunrise Christian Assembly Church, 1112 E. 77th Street Kansas City, Missouri.

The Water Services Department has been working to make progress on the entire Middle Blue River Green Solutions Pilot Project, which includes repairing the existing sewer system.  Construction will begin this summer to make those repairs.

The 100-acre pilot project is located within the Middle Blue River Basin and is bounded by 73rd Street to 77th Terrace and Holmes Road to Paseo Boulevard. The project involves rehabilitating the existing sewer system and using green solutions to capture stormwater before it enters the combined sewer system to reduce the amount of sewer overflows. Green solutions are an alternative to more traditional gray stormwater improvements such as storage tanks and pumping facilities. There are more than 300 property owners in the pilot project area.

For more information about the Middle Blue River Basin Green Solutions Pilot Project, visit the web site at www.kcmo.org/targetgreen, e-mail the Overflow Control Program at KC-OCPinfo@kcmo.org, or call (816) 513-0521.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC Council committee endorses proposal to privatize sewer facilities
Mayor Mark Funkhouser and Councilwoman Deb Hermann supported the idea, while Councilman John Sharp vehemently objected. Committee members Beth Gottstein and Sharon Sanders Brooks were absent.

The measure will go to the full council Oct. 7.

Troy Schulte, the acting city manager, noted that the city is embarking on a $2.5 billion sewer overhaul plan in which the private sector might provide the city with cash while saving taxpayer dollars.

Funkhouser, who sponsored the resolution, said private companies might have creative approaches that improve efficiency and give taxpayers better value.

smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

My initial reaction is that this is a bad idea, based on other privatization schemes I've read about. Most notably the Indy and Chicago Parking Meter privatizations.

I suppose sewers might be different. Need to educate myself.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
JESSter
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JESSter »

Privatization isn't inherently a bad idea.  Like many things, it comes down the specifics.  Right now they are only soliciting offers, but from the article, they are considering a 30 year proposal by B&V.  That alone makes me consider this idea in an unfavorable light.  Not as bad as the Indy 75 year parking meter deal, but a lot can still change in 30 years. 

I'm not educated about sewage treatment, either, but I'd imagine you run into fewer issues with penalty payments due to inoperable services (ie street parking closed due to construction).  It's kind of hard to shut down water - people tend to get finicky when you interrupt their human rights.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

JESSter wrote: Privatization isn't inherently a bad idea.  Like many things, it comes down the specifics.  Right now they are only soliciting offers, but from the article, they are considering a 30 year proposal by B&V.  That alone makes me consider this idea in an unfavorable light. 
Why is that? I really don't know much about this.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Any time you grant a monopoly concession you have to worry about consumer protection.  Gas, electric, and telephone monopoly services are all subject to state level regulation and protection that generally do a reasonable job of keeping you from getting screwed.  What's the current monopoly utility service subject to city regulation and protection? - Cable TV.  How exactly do you feel about the prices and customer service you get from your Cable TV provider?  If your like me you pay out the asshole and get the shittiest customer service possible.  That's why it might be a good idea to be a little nervous about city regulated private monopolies. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I get that, I was wondering why B&V in particular would be bad.

JESSter
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by JESSter »

B&V is not bad but a deal that locks you in for 30 years has potential for lots of problems.  Just look at the changes in KC from the 80s to now.  I'll wait for the particulars before I pass judgment.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

The city has private operators at the golf courses, the zoo, Sprint Center/American Royal Center, and privatized development at RG.  Curious though, is this just for the Blue River Treatment Plant or for also the city other treatment facilities?
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: The city has private operators at the golf courses, the zoo, Sprint Center/American Royal Center, and privatized development at RG. 
Might be a bit of a problem if the city golf course was the only one in town.  Imagine what they could charge in green fees!  Your analogy would also hold up a little better if playing golf were indeed an essential life requirement for the entire population of the city - kind of like running water/sewers.  Or were you thinking that not-living in your own sewage is kind of a discretionary luxury like a round of 18?