The Great KC Sewer financial scare

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: The Great KC Sewer financial scare

Post by KCTigerFan »

Time-Warner should do that.  With the quality of their service the sewer would be the best place to run their lines.  :lol:
KC0KEK wrote: Before the dot-com and telecom implosions, there were a few companies (e.g., CityNet) that ran broadband through sewer lines. I wonder if any cities ever gave them a sweetheart franchise deal in return for helping pay for sewer upgrades. That would be one way to reduce the expense for taxpayers.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

(Snip) "The prediction circulating at City Hall: Huge water and sewer rates increases will be required to pay for this project, along with a possible tax increase."

Thats probably the real reality.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sewer and wastewater project begins
Over the next several months, the task force, appointed by Mayor Mark Funkhouser, must decide how much to increase taxes and fees and whether to use bonds and other methods to pay for what is believed to be the city’s largest-ever public works project.

The city must submit its final plan to federal and state regulatory agencies in July.

Whatever plan is worked out promises to have a huge financial impact on city residents.

Kansas City’s sewer and stormwater system has 7,200 miles of underground piping. That’s about the distance from Kansas City to Honolulu and back, officials said.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Water Services Department – City of Kansas City, Missouri
816-513-0232, colleen_newman@kcmo.org

Brookside Public Meetings Scheduled for Public Input

Kansas City Continues Drainage Improvements in Brookside Area

The Wet Weather Solutions Program, a stormwater, sewer overflow and waterways initiative of the Kansas City, Missouri Water Services Department, continues to work to improve sanitary sewer and storm drainage conditions in the Brookside Area.  Preliminary design for Phase 5 of the Brookside Watershed Improvement Program is underway.  Two open houses are scheduled to solicit comments from businesses and residents and to provide a general overview of the project.

•      Merchants and businesses located in the Brookside area are encouraged to attend an Open House on Thursday, January 31st from 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
•      Residents are invited to attend an Open House on Thursday, February 7th from 5:30 to 7:00 pm.
•      Both Open House events will take place at Second Presbyterian Church, 318 E. 55th Street (near 55th & Oak Streets) in Kansas City, Mo. (64113).

This is the fifth and final phase of the Program designed to reduce flooding and sewer back-ups in the Brookside area.  Phase 5 involves installation of a new storm sewer under the current location of the Trolley Track Trail from Brush Creek to Meyer Boulevard.  An interceptor is a large storm drainage pipe that collects stormwater from smaller pipes. The new interceptor will significantly increase the capacity of the existing drainage system and should reduce the frequency and severity of flooding problems.

This phase is part of a $50 million public investment designed to reduce flooding and sewer backups.  Phase 5 will repair more than 5,800 feet of sanitary sewer systems, install approximately 6,800 feet of new sanitary sewer, and construct approximately 11,200 feet of new storm sewers.  Work will be completed in two phases, starting in 2010 with the northern portion of the project at Brush Creek.  Work on both contracts is expected to continue through 2015, subject to availability of funding, at a cost of approximately $30 million.

The project serves neighborhoods along Brookside Boulevard, from Meyer Boulevard to Brush Creek. More information is available at www.kcmo.org.
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I think they should let the sewers collapse the streets and create canals.  :D

ShowME
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by ShowME »

Guess time is getting scarce because Fox 4 News @ 9pm had a story on this matter.  "KCMO water bills will skyrocket and the the bills is approaching $5 billion"  oh yea KC leadership is looking to the Feds for help.  My water bill in the winter months is $110.00 every other month.  Any idea how much that could increase?
Calling a spade a spade.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

ShowME wrote: Guess time is getting scarce because Fox 4 News @ 9pm had a story on this matter.  "KCMO water bills will skyrocket and the the bills is approaching $5 billion"  oh yea KC leadership is looking to the Feds for help.  My water bill in the winter months is $110.00 every other month.  Any idea how much that could increase?
How long are your showers?  With my wife and I our bills still are in the $50 to $60 range.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

use less, pay less.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: How long are your showers?  With my wife and I our bills still are in the $50 to $60 range.
Save water and shower together.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

ShowME wrote: Guess time is getting scarce because Fox 4 News @ 9pm had a story on this matter.  "KCMO water bills will skyrocket and the the bills is approaching $5 billion"  oh yea KC leadership is looking to the Feds for help.  My water bill in the winter months is $110.00 every other month.  Any idea how much that could increase?
Thought I saw that same story on Fox 4, and they mentioned that it'd likely triple.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCMax wrote: Save water and shower together.
May end up using more water :)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

If you are laying out three figures plus per month Invest in some low-flow shower heads, faucets, and crapers. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

oh, the foresight!

Water Rate freeze comes home to roost
Kansas City Council members thought they were giving residents a big gift when they froze water rates from May 2001 through April 2004. But it turns out they were just depleting the Water Department’s reserves and postponing needed water main repairs that the department now has to confront with a major water rate increase.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DaveKCMO wrote: oh, the foresight!

Water Rate freeze comes home to roost
Yeah, that freeze was pushed by the council and not the department.  The department did express its concerns and the effects the freeze would have but Barnes and the council knew better.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: If you are laying out three figures plus per month Invest in some low-flow shower heads, faucets, and crapers.   
On the shitter side, spend a little extra and get a power flush unit (e.g., GMax), which provides the force necessary to make 1.6 gallons capable of taking care of everything except maybe that Saturday morning duker after Friday night drinking and breakfast at Bell Street Mama's.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

sorry for my ignorance, but as a practical matter what impact will this have on kansas city homeowners?  the city will come dig up your yard sometime in the next few years and water/sewer bills will skyrocket?
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

This is the official plan. Most of the work seems to be at wastewater treatment plants. Only a little more than half is being spent on the areas served by combined sewer/storm drain systems.

The work stretches over 25 years. Some of the work just addresses expected growth in demand. Pollution levels are typical of what is found in other cities. Upstream areas (areas outside of KCMO) contribute significantly to the problems.

http://www.kcmo.org/water/KCWetWeatherC ... 082807.pdf
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I assume that replacing the sewers will require lots of other infrastructure replacement around town - streets, curbs, sidewalks? 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I assume that replacing the sewers will require lots of other infrastructure replacement around town - streets, curbs, sidewalks? 
Most of it will entail a large capital investment in steel plates.
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: I assume that replacing the sewers will require lots of other infrastructure replacement around town - streets, curbs, sidewalks? 
It is hard to tell from the document - but I assume some sewer mains will be replaced.

However, the emphasis of the plan is on treating the volumes of water that go through the system. It appears that most of the "overflow" problem is the discharge of untreated volumes when it rains because the volume of water comming into the treatment plants exceeds the capacity of the plant. One of the things they are doing is adding storage so during 'rain events" some of the high volume of water comming into the treatment plants can be diverted into a retention basis (or tunnel) for storage until it can be treated after the rain volumes subside.

They are also going to install a bunch of flow meters to keep track of where the high volumes are comming from during the rain events and to operate pump controls, etc. In addition they are upgrading pumping stations on the big pipes so they can move higher volumes. 

The plan is somewhat vague - but I did not see any real emphasis on digging up sewer mains at a house by house level. It is not clear at all why it costs $2 or $3 billion.