OFFICIAL - 46 Penn Centre

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: OFFICIAL - 46 Penn Centre

Post by Midtownkid »

GRID wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:50 am
Midtownkid wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm
GRID wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Save the Plaza people need to be run out of town first.
Yeah! Then we can just demolish the whole plaza!! Who needs those dumb old Spanish towers anyway. We can build lots of 15 story buildings with giant garages facing the street. No more tile and plaster, I want to see cheap materials. Then we can all be so satisfied with how 'urban' our city has become. :mrgreen:
I have not seen any developer propose to tear down spanish towers or any part of the low rise retail district for that matter. All I have seen is the save the plaza people trying to stop anything and everything that surrounds the plaza.
Maybe there hasn't been a proposal lately, but remember when the Balcony Building was threatened with half-demolition? That would have included an original tower and would have been a huge mistake. That may have been when the Save the Plaza group assembled. That was the first time I heard of them.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Loss of the Balcony Building would have been a tragedy and I'm glad it was stopped. However, if a developer comes in with a proposal that satisfies the requirements of the neighbor-vetted Plaza Plan (height limitations, bowl and all that), they should not then be able to be held hostage by Save the Plaza or other neighbors. Developers need to be able to plan on the Plan. That said, I do want to see the essential Plaza fabric protected and the uproar over the Balcony Building was well-deserved.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

missingkc wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 am Loss of the Balcony Building would have been a tragedy and I'm glad it was stopped. However, if a developer comes in with a proposal that satisfies the requirements of the neighbor-vetted Plaza Plan (height limitations, bowl and all that), they should not then be able to be held hostage by Save the Plaza or other neighbors. Developers need to be able to plan on the Plan. That said, I do want to see the essential Plaza fabric protected and the uproar over the Balcony Building was well-deserved.
Agreed. The Park Place Hotel or whatever it was called before it became a Marriott was also a huge save.

But at the same time, they need to allow development when the development is actually better than what's there.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

GRID wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 am
missingkc wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:23 am Loss of the Balcony Building would have been a tragedy and I'm glad it was stopped. However, if a developer comes in with a proposal that satisfies the requirements of the neighbor-vetted Plaza Plan (height limitations, bowl and all that), they should not then be able to be held hostage by Save the Plaza or other neighbors. Developers need to be able to plan on the Plan. That said, I do want to see the essential Plaza fabric protected and the uproar over the Balcony Building was well-deserved.
Agreed. The Park Place Hotel or whatever it was called before it became a Marriott was also a huge save.

But at the same time, they need to allow development when the development is actually better than what's there.
Sure, but we rarely see anything that is 'better'. I love the Lockton Building, they got it right. But most proposals are composed of uninspiring designs, bad layouts that ignore the 'sense of place' the area has (had), and crappy material choices. Look at 51 Main, man that thing is clunky and poorly detailed.

I think the church is beautiful and contributes to the atmosphere of the Plaza. It should be reused as an amazing restaurant space or something.

The proposed building for that site doesn't excite me at all. And it looks like they are really cramming in there next to the new tower that is going up.

Also, if KC didn't have a ton of empty lots nearby it would make more since.
cardium
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by cardium »

Vertical (underground) construction appears to have started. Precast concrete beams for the garage were being placed today.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

cardium wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:56 pm Vertical (underground) construction appears to have started. Precast concrete beams for the garage were being placed today.
It started around Jan 10. Being precast it will go up super quick.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Steel going up above parking structure.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/blockllc/46penn
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thassa lot of parking levels! Is the entire bldng to be steel framed?
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Heavy lift crane for precast panels. Notice the base for a Liebherr tower crane.. That'll be used for the superstructure.
kenrbnj
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kenrbnj »

Precast members are placed..

Tower crane going in today.

Don't ask why I am watching this..
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

kenrbnj wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am Precast members are placed..

Tower crane going in today.

Don't ask why I am watching this..
You aren't the only one ;-)

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

What's up with all the orange tower cranes in KCMO? I thought Dunn always owned building big projects in KC.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:42 pm What's up with all the orange tower cranes in KCMO? I thought Dunn always owned building big projects in KC.
Dunn still builds the highest profile projects (LOEWS, Lights, Strata, New KCI Garage). However, Dunn was surpassed by McCownGordon Construction as the biggest builder of KC projects. The "middle of the road" projects (Reverb, CMH, 46 Penn, Hampton Inn, etc) are being done by more local firms. IMHO it is a good sign that traditionally smaller, local constructors are taking on these bigger projects as the volume increases.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The Plaza surroundings have been densifying nicely despite the core turning into an ordinary mall. Would expect many more projects N side as there are still some blocks of drab buildings likely to be replaced. And wouldn't be surprised if single family homes start to get offers by developers over the next 10 years for larger developments.
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

earthling wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:55 am The Plaza surroundings have been densifying nicely despite the core turning into an ordinary mall. Would expect many more projects N side as there are still some blocks of drab buildings likely to be replaced. And wouldn't be surprised if single family homes start to get offers by developers over the next 10 years for larger developments.
Which "Plaza surroundings" in particular are you talking about? I doubt Sunset Hill's residents are going to be selling anytime soon.
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

I'm excited about this project, anything that adds housing and density is usually a win in my book, but damn, there is too much parking.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

grecobs wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:16 am I'm excited about this project, anything that adds housing and density is usually a win in my book, but damn, there is too much parking.
The plaza is one area where we need in garage parking to be able to reduce on street parking. It's one of the only areas in town I have actually seen an effective 100% use of public parking.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Garages are fine if well hidden like nearly all are on Plaza. If this project has any incentives included, would expect it to include free public parking.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

No more free public parking where demand merits charging.