Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by earthling »

I've sent this link to 10 contacts with new Plaza owners including a cover letter. Feel free to vote, change vote and/or for those who haven't yet, post any additional suggestions in this thread. Hopefully they'll visit thread sometime next week...

http://kcrag.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20330
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

I guess 4400 Washington is back. Plans dated 8/25/2017 showed up on the city's development tracker website.
191 units (studio, 1BR, & 2BR), 220 parking spots provided.

http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/18884

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Good catch.

Looks like the typical NSPJ design, although it seems to feature a little less stucco and more brick/cast stone. If the materials are right, I think this could look decent enough. I like that the garage is completely hidden and the entrances seem minimal.

Does anyone remember the details of the project that was denied for this site for being too large? How does it compare in scale? I don't ever remember seeing a rendering for that project.

Edit: I just looked it up and it looks like the original proposal was 188 units, so this one seems to be a bit larger. I do think that original proposal was for the L-shaped lots that are currently vacant and the current proposal looks rectangular. So perhaps this covers more land, but is a little less dense.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Looks like a nice project, but WTF is this about?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 92947.html

Is the KC Star really this desperate? What a joke of an article.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote:Looks like a nice project, but WTF is this about?

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 92947.html

Is the KC Star really this desperate? What a joke of an article.
There was a similar article a couple of weeks ago decrying midtown apartment developments for creating competition for parking in the area.

The Star has adopted an instigator of controversy role to the point of creating it where it doesn't exist. Their coverage of the airport issue has been deliberately been especially duplicitous in that way.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The new Plaza owners continue to add locally owned retailers and eats
Mother/daughter duo open Plaza shop
New Plaza women’s boutique Fortuity gets new shipments several times a week, which keeps customers coming in often.
The Plaza’s new wedding chapel
With her youngest child heading off to college this year, she wanted to open another business, but one that would be a bit more fun. She was in Las Vegas celebrating her mother’s 75th birthday when she took note of the many wedding chapels and festive bridal parties. After researching the Kansas City market she saw a need for a small, intimate wedding venue for couples not wanting to spend a lot.
The Waffle Bar offers bubble waffles which are rolled into a cone and filled with ice cream, a choice of three toppings and a choice of drizzle for $6.95; and waffle pops including the Toasty with cinnamon sugar, cinnamon toast cereal and white chocolate drizzle for $5.95. It also has a waffle doughnut using a Krispy Kreme doughnut that it heats up on the waffle grill and customers then choose the ice cream, a topping and drizzle for $4.95.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 19342.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The Waffle Bar sounds okay but I'd rather have this, http://t-swirlcrepe.com/menu/
It can be a meal or dessert rather then just dessert
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 98511.html

This quote sums up how far the Plaza has fallen, unfortunately:

After recently opening stores in the Legends Outlets Kansas City and Oak Park Mall, Vans Off the Wall is now working on a Country Club Plaza location.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The Plaza had a McDonalds for years.

You have very rosy colored glasses.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Vans rule.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

hartliss wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 98511.html

After recently opening stores in the Legends Outlets Kansas City and Oak Park Mall, Vans Off the Wall is now working on a Country Club Plaza location.
You need to appeal to everyone, you can't have 25 Baldwin Type boutique stores and call it a shopping district. The one thing I really wish the Plaza had is a Nordstorm, its the only thing I wish we could have down there for retail options.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
hartliss wrote:http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 98511.html

You need to appeal to everyone, you can't have 25 Baldwin Type boutique stores and call it a shopping district. The one thing I really wish the Plaza had is a Nordstorm, its the only thing I wish we could have down there for retail options.
Sorry, what I was trying to articulate is normally the Plaza gets a tenant brand new to KC, first, before it disperses out to the burbs. I know this has changed over the years though.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: The one thing I really wish the Plaza had is a Nordstorm, its the only thing I wish we could have down there for retail options.
Every department store on the plaza has closed over time.

Halls was the most recent.

Nordstrom Rack would be a great fit for the plaza
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No it would not. Jfc
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:No it would not. Jfc
So you're saying a store that gets tons of people in it, selling upscale goods, isn't a fit?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

It's a clearance store (despite having twice the number of stores as the full-line Nordstrom, but still).
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Nordstrom Ravk can't even make it into the mall, why oils we want it on the Plaza?! Personally, they could remove H&M and I'd be happy.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

plaza needs a brooks bros flatiron store, imo. seems like an easy fit in a corridor with vineyard vines, anthro, j crew, etc.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

Nordstrom Rack isn't even necessarily a clearance store. Only a small portion of what they sell is clearance from the Nordstrom stores, and much of what they sell is poorer quality than what they sell in non-Rack stores. Definitely not full of upscale goods.

Something like Halls, as it has been re-designed at Crown Center could be successful on the Plaza. The Plaza store felt very stale, as did a lot of their selection, both of which I think have been modernized at CC. I wish we could get something fresh. Standard is pretty much the only shop on the Plaza directory that is what I would call fashion-forward. Everything else is rather unimpressive. Obviously a major difference is that Standard is able to control their buying to stay current, whereas these chain stores have no control and are limited to selling one or a few lines. (Finefolk downtown is another example of the type of high-end forward-thinking, locally owned/controlled shop that the Plaza/KC as a whole lacks.) I think a department store with good buyers could address some of the gap (no pun intended... but seriously, can we get rid of the Gap?) but Halls definitely had issues, as do Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack in my opinion.

Going back to discussion on pharmacies, I could see something like Aaron's Apothecary in Chicago fitting in - a pharmacy that sells high end makeup and skincare, unique snacks, gifts, etc.