Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Troost developments

Post by PumpkinStalker »

chaglang wrote:Noticed over the weekend that the improvements to the building on the NE corner of 40th and Troost continue, sans permit. No idea what Abnos is doing there.
Not sure what this building looks like, but when you say improvements do you mean he's taking down frosted acrylic panels and shitty galvanized metal attachments?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

PumpkinStalker wrote:
chaglang wrote:Noticed over the weekend that the improvements to the building on the NE corner of 40th and Troost continue, sans permit. No idea what Abnos is doing there.
Not sure what this building looks like, but when you say improvements do you mean he's taking down frosted acrylic panels and shitty galvanized metal attachments?
You nearly blew my aneurysm.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Weirdly there is no scrap metal and glass attached. Maybe it's not an Abnos building after all.

So the big news today is that the city council passed an ordinance that creates a zoning overlay on Troost, from 24th-Volker. This phase of the overlay modifies the allowable use groups. The next phase will be design guidelines. That effort starts in the spring. I am told that this is the first zoning overlay district in KC.

A little of the backstory: this was an outgrowth of the recommendations in MARC's Troost Corridor Study. At the end of that 2 year process, there was a meeting to wrap the study. At that meeting, Vicki Noteis pointed out that the only way to keep bad development from turning Troost into a long-term mess was to tighten up the open zoning. So starting in January of this year, representatives from the Longfellow, Beacon Hill, Center City, Hyde Park, Squier Park, and Manheim Park neighborhood associations met regularly to iron out the details of the overlay. It was a surprisingly smooth process, though it involved upwards of 20 public meetings. Jeff Williams and Diane Binckley at KCMO did great work and were invaluable. Troy Schulte was a huge help as well. Rockhill neighborhood volunteered support, even though they aren't bordering on Troost. It was a thoroughly grassroots effort by the Midtown neighborhoods.

If anyone is interested in working on the design guidelines, DM me.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

No, that's an Abnos building. Attempt to photograph it sometime, and you'll summon the man himself or conjure up his heavies to approach you, ''photography is not allowed of our buildings.''
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:No, that's an Abnos building. Attempt to photograph it sometime, and you'll summon the man himself or conjure up his heavies to approach you, ''photography is not allowed of our buildings.''
I really don't get this stance. The law protects photography.
It's well known you have to file charges of trespass if you don't like photography. And those places generally put up a no photography sign, and if a photographer is ok with the trespass charge they can still take photos

Pay attention to government policies. If it's a problem for them they just ban cameras. Which is legit.

So to try and ban of the outside? It's just silly. Especially when Google has take photos of most of the city
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The only reason people want to photograph their buildings is because they're such disasters.

Every now and then there is an old man out working on their magnum opus, the old BrandsMart building. One guy.

The sad thing is that the family members I've spoken to think they're single-handedly saving the city. Just an extraordinary level of delusion.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote:I am told that this is the first zoning overlay district in KC.
maincor claims to have a pedestrian overlay for main street. while not the same as a zoning overlay, it sounds like it's seeking similar results.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

DaveKCMO wrote:
chaglang wrote:I am told that this is the first zoning overlay district in KC.
maincor claims to have a pedestrian overlay for main street. while not the same as a zoning overlay, it sounds like it's seeking similar results.
Yeah, that didn't really sound right when I heard it.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Whimsy Cheesecakes has opened in the old Hostess Day-old Store at 3000 Troost. Let the gentrification arguments begin! :D

http://www.wimseycheesecakes.com
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

According to their facebook, they're just going to be in a place called Flavor Trade. http://www.flavortrade.com/welcome.html
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I'm moving into a house on Troost. Is gentrification even possible in a neighborhood with such low density/high vacancy?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

JBmidtown wrote:I'm moving into a house on Troost. Is gentrification even possible in a neighborhood with such low density/high vacancy?
I was totally joking about the gentrification thing. No, I don't believe it's happening on Troost. Apart from a small section of the Westside, it's really not happening anywhere in KC.

Which neighborhood are you moving into?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I'm not sure because I'm not used to the east side. Is 41st and Troost Hyde Park or Southmoreland or some othe neighborhood all together?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

It's easily the most desolate places I've lived at in Midtown so far.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

JBmidtown wrote:I'm not sure because I'm not used to the east side. Is 41st and Troost Hyde Park or Southmoreland or some othe neighborhood all together?
At 41st west of Troost is Hyde Park. East is Manheim Park
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Hyde park by a few feet it is.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

There's so many beautiful buildings with second and third floor apartments and ground floor retail all along Troost. The fact that most are being used to store building materials and who knows whatever other BS is tragic. So much potential squandered. I wish there was a way to rehab all the buildings at once, lease the apartments on income based rates and then attract retail with the pop up options KCK has been utilizing in their downtown. This would be a great place to bridge the divide between East and West KC without over developing the area and causing a negative gentrification in the east side. Just enough density to be one of the better, more walkable neighborhoods in KC. Such a shame :cry:
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I agree, JB. Troost still has (just) enough density left where you could imagine it making a comeback. I'd love to see something like a Cherokee Street (STL) vibe along stretches near Hyde Park and 31st. I'm actually surprised the length of Troost between Rockhurst and UMKC hasn't already seen a small renaissance.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I imagine Troost is one of those streets where you just need that tipping point of one place that is noticeably more upscale than what's there today.

Imagine if something like a Panera decided to build on Troost near Hospital Hill what that would mean psychologically to people.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

rxlexi wrote:I agree, JB. Troost still has (just) enough density left where you could imagine it making a comeback. I'd love to see something like a Cherokee Street (STL) vibe along stretches near Hyde Park and 31st. I'm actually surprised the length of Troost between Rockhurst and UMKC hasn't already seen a small renaissance.
Also surprised by the Rockhurst/UMKC stretch. Looks like UMKC owns a lot of 5400 Troost, all of 5300 Troost and a lot of the neighborhood immediately behind those blocks.