OFFICIAL - Flashcube (720 Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: "Flashcube" Building - 720 Main

Post by flyingember »

Midtownkid wrote:I still wish that place was gonna be torn down. I'm all for saving buildings, but this one is not worth it IMO. It's so ugly & has a terrible relationship with the street.
"ugly" is subjective for a project that's going to redo the exterior

it's relationship with the street gives the space to do a really nice public green space that is a needed downtown
oh, and it fronts two streets right now
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Midtownkid wrote:I still wish that place was gonna be torn down. I'm all for saving buildings, but this one is not worth it IMO. It's so ugly & has a terrible relationship with the street.
Some of us actually like the look of this building. But, we welcome your opinion. Even if you might not like ours!
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

im2kull wrote:
Some of us actually like the look of this building. But, we welcome your opinion. Even if you might not like ours!
Thanks, I did't really question that. This is a forum right? A place to share opinions?? I didn't say mine was absolute!
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

I like the building but I'm afraid they are going to mess up the rehab by not interacting with the street efficiently.
(grass, grass, grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass, grass,grass, grass,grass,grass, grass, grass,grass,grass, grass,)
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It’s a cool building. The original architects took a totally pedestrian idea - mirrored glass curtainwall - to a thoroughly absurd level. That took some chutzpah and good for them for doing it. I’d take a dozen Flashcubes over the stucco-clad olde-timey schlock that’s invaded downtown recently.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

on the 11/21 CPC agenda:
4 JR 8. Case 14270-UR-3 – A request to approve a rezoning from District DC-15 (Downtown Core) to District UR (Urban Redevelopment) and a preliminary development plan on about 2 acres generally located on the block bound by 7th St, 8th St, Main St, and Baltimore Ave to allow renovation of a former office building into a 161-unit residential building.
Applicant: Jim Calvert, Worcester Construction
Representative: Lance Scott, CFS Engineers
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Rezoning approved.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

NorthOak wrote:I like the building but I'm afraid they are going to mess up the rehab by not interacting with the street efficiently.
(grass, grass, grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass,grass, grass,grass, grass,grass,grass, grass, grass,grass,grass, grass,)
Downtown dog owners are killing all the grass in the neighborhood so what's the point....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Give them more options. They kill it because there are so few spots.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Give them more options. They kill it because there are so few spots.
But also, in some cities dogs don't use grass, they just lay it out on the curb or sidewalk. I feel like this is something that has not caught on around here as most of the dogs are really suburban dogs in disguise.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

smh wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Give them more options. They kill it because there are so few spots.
But also, in some cities dogs don't use grass, they just lay it out on the curb or sidewalk. I feel like this is something that has not caught on around here as most of the dogs are really suburban dogs in disguise.
If I was a betting man, I would wager you do not have a dog.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Just ban dogs.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote:
smh wrote:
I've seen dogs! :cry:

But really, what am I missing? Cannot our beastly friends be trained to appreciate the virtues of excreting on concrete?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:
taxi wrote:
smh wrote:

But really, what am I missing? Cannot our beastly friends be trained to appreciate the virtues of excreting on concrete?
Perhaps a Doberman 'Pincher'...?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote:
smh wrote:
taxi wrote: If I was a betting man, I would wager you do not have a dog.

Perhaps a Doberman 'Pincher'...?
/end forum

There can be no better post. :lol:
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Appears a survey crew was on-site today, some type of progress.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

A permit issued in late February says: "Construct rooftop building addition per plans reviewed for code compliance."

http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 3&jur=KCMO

I guess this was revealed in Collison's article last year, but exciting to see something moving.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Glitz and Glory, really?
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I've been told the restoration will require the replacement of all windows....so virtually the entire exterior of the building. Of course, they can't take the opportunity to replace it with a cladding that might be more suitable for apartments, because then they wouldn't get historic tax credits. For a garbage mid 70s office building.