OFFICIAL - Flashcube (720 Main)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
kccrackednut
Strip mall
Strip mall

OFFICIAL - Flashcube (720 Main)

Post by kccrackednut »

Does anyone know the history of what looks like a former hotel on the S.E. corner of about 8th and Main? It is a light yellow 2-3 story building with parking under it.  I have wondered what this building was and, better yet, why it is still there.  It seems like prime property for something else--anything else.
scooterj
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - Flashcube (720 Main)

Post by scooterj »

Also does anyone know why there has been yellow tape blocking sections of the sidewalk at both ends of that building for about the last 3 months?  I see nothing wrong with the sidewalk and have never seen anyone working there.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

It used to be a Best Western I believe....never saw it myself.  The hotel was connected via skywalk to another building north of 7th St.  Commerce Bank or Tower Properties owns the property now.

Look at the north loop.....Commerce & Tower own most of it.  Don't expect too much out of them :(
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

To the southeast is the Scudder-Kemper Investments Building (if it's still called that) and to the northeast is an old vacant, skeezy hotel where you could see live sex acts taking place in from across the street in the Commerce flashcube building.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There were hotels on the upper floors of both the buildings on the east side of the 600 and 700 blocks of Main. I think I've seen a photo that showed the one on the 600 block (6th and Main) was a Rodeway Inn at one time. I don't know about the other. I haven't been able to find anything on it.
There is no fifth destination.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

It opened in the early sixties as the Prom-Sheraton Motor Inn and was considered one of the nicest and most modern hotels in town at the time.  There was a highly rated french restaurant on the street level.  This was part, along with the Tower Properties office building to the south, of one of the earliest urban renewal projects downtown.  This was also when the streets were re-aligned and the triangle  of buildings at the Main and Delaware intersections were wiped out.  Where the "flashcube" building on the west side now is was a significant work of John Wellborn Root, thepared down Romanesque American National Bank.
ThorsteinVeblen
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ThorsteinVeblen »

Couldn't find the thread for this building so put it here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... hcube.html

Ex-Commerce building to become apartments, adjacent parking lot to be developed for possible expansion phase.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I thought the Flashcube Building had foundation and structural problems, and some speculated that it would require demolition since it was so badly built.

I'm glad to see that the new owners plan to develop the north part of the block in the future.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

That will be one HUGE apartment building. Probably could fit 3 bedroom units in it, something downtown is lacking. That is a prime size for families with 2 kids or can have a dedicated office.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Here is the project they are developing in Rochester, for an idea of what they could possibly build for the phase 2 on the surface lot:

Looks pretty good.

It is promising to see another new out-of-town developer come to KC.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

FangKC wrote:I thought the Flashcube Building had foundation and structural problems, and some speculated that it would require demolition since it was so badly built.

I'm glad to see that the new owners plan to develop the north part of the block in the future.
I always heard that as well....
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

Happen to see this on my LinkedIn feed

Company is different from the one mentioned in the Bizjournal although I suppose they could have set up an LLC just for this purchase.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Abatement may be in the picture for 'Flashcube Building'
McCoubrie said Worcester Investments seeks a PIEA abatement for its planned 181-unit apartment conversion, which will require creation of a new 7th & Main PIEA Area. Worcester Investments representatives are scheduled to appear during the PIEA's monthly meeting Thursday to seek approval for a general development plan and funding agreement — both necessary steps for creating the new area and considering a later abatement request.

Nicknamed the Flashcube Building because of its shape and reflective exterior, the 207,000-square-foot structure has sat vacant on the north side of the Downtown Loop since 2006, when its owner, Commerce Bank, moved an operations center out of it.
http://tinyurl.com/hbowdb7
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they are also planning to build on the parking lot to the north in a future phase. there will be some retail in the flashcube project.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I wonder if they'll use LEDs.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Agency advances blight finding for 'throwaway' Flashcube Building

Although the building, more formally known as the Executive Plaza Office Building, is only 43 years old, Paul Worcester, a principal with the firm, said he also expects to receive state and federal historic tax credit financing for the project.

That will require that the building be listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Therefore, Worcester said, his firm made its recent $5.7 million offer on the building contingent on getting through the first step of the registration process: State Historic Preservation Office approval.

Worcester said Elizabeth Rosin of Rosin Preservation has been guiding the historic registration process and had advised that the structure has a 95 percent chance of being listed.

Ironically, Belke said, that curtain wall is now failing — in part because the structure was built in 1973 “as a throwaway building, designed to last only 20 to 25 years.”

http://tinyurl.com/jrat5nq

I must admit something about Commerce Bank/Tower Properties constructing a nine-story building of this size downtown to be a "throwaway building" meant to last only 25 years really gets under my skin. Now it's blighted. So if you really think this through, Tower Properties cleared the North Loop because it was blighted, only to put up a cheap building that 43 years later is also blighted.

I'm also curious about this new phenomenon that is happening where the National Trust for Historic Preservation is granting historic designation to buildings less than 50-years-old, which has been the rule to date. If this goes through, it will be the second Kansas City structure to get designation outside those rules (the other being Kemper Arena).

Granted, I am in favor of buildings not being torn down. Yet I wonder if this precedent is a good one. It seems to encourage property owners not to maintain younger buildings with the hope of getting historic tax credits to pay for renovation of buildings that aren't as old.

My concern is that only so many buildings get approved for tax credits in any given year. Not all that apply receive the tax credits. The Missouri Legislature has considered reducing the amount of historic tax credits awarded. My concern is that newer structures that aren't 50-years-old will get approved, and 100-year-old buildings that really, really need the tax credits to get redeveloped won't.

The other thing that bothers me is this concept of building large, "disposable" buildings. Concrete, glass, and steel produce a lot of greenhouse gases, so one should strive to build structures that will last a long time. Buildings that are put up with the intent to demolish a few years later also create a lot of disruptions with construction and demolition activity.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

The other thing that bothers me is this concept of building large, "disposable" buildings. Concrete, glass, and steel produce a lot of greenhouse gases, so one should strive to build structures that will last a long time. Buildings that are put up with the intent to demolish a few years later also create a lot of disruptions with construction and demolition activity.
Welcome to capitalism
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

FangKC wrote:I must admit something about Commerce Bank/Tower Properties constructing a nine-story building of this size downtown to be a "throwaway building" meant to last only 25 years really gets under my skin. Now it's blighted. So if you really think this through, Tower Properties cleared the North Loop because it was blighted, only to put up a cheap building that 43 years later is also blighted.
And many of those buildings cleared by Tower would probably be in better shape and more coveted than the Flashcube today with a little upkeep and maintenance.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: If this goes through, it will be the second Kansas City structure to get designation outside those rules (the other being Kemper Arena).
The BMA building was also less than 50 years old when it was listed.

I was in favor of that listing and Kemper but I agree with your concern and wonder what the argument is for getting this one on the National Register of Historic Places.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Nothing about this building is notable or unique or " historic".