OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

How we don't have a thread going about probably the biggest project in Kansas City I'll never know....how that escaped us puzzles me, but here it is.

Everybody knows about it, here's was the first renderings:

Well it comes out in today's Star that they are thinking about reducing the 2 big theatres in Phase I into one big theatre...with a small theatre that wouldn't have it's own hump and then Phase II the Experimental theatre....

here's a scan of the new design from the Star today:

I'm sorry but operational costs be damned, we should not scale this back....in no way do I think the PAC will look as dramatic with only the one "hump" versus 2....and then 3 with Phase II......this is not a building expense they are trying to erase, just operating it......I hope this redesign doesn't happen, we need this PAC as designed by Moshe, not scaled back in any way. I'm sure one of the Kauffman foundations can put up plenty of cash to make a nice little maintance fund that would be plenty for both theatres.

How will the last picture above look nearly as cool without that 2nd theatre right next door?

Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Today's Star article: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 067909.htm
Last edited by KCPowercat on Mon Sep 01, 2003 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
kcmajik
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kcmajik »

i agree with you KC. if you add the 3rd hump it could almost maybe remind me of bizarre architecture like the Sydney opera house. i doubt KC's will ever reach a public image like Sydney's but it could definately become a landmark all over the midwest. the 3rd is needed IMOP.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the real problem I see is only one being built in the first phase instead of 2.....that would change how dramatic it was to me.....the theatre to the far right would be in some second phase later on, only the 2 big theatres are being built right now......I think the 1,800 and 2,200 seat theatres need to both be built, not one theatre that can serve as both.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the initial cost of construction is the same, in both proposals. The concern is the ongoing cost of operating the facilities. I hope they stick with the original proposal myself. I only wish that the experimental space would be built out at the same time. The arts in KC generate more revenue than major league sports, we should strongly support the PAC! Hopefully the wealthy and well connected in KC will step up to the plate. They ought to put together some fund raisers so and functions around the metro to encourage everyone, from mission hills to Raytown can contribute and be a part of this project. after all, its supposed to be the Metropolitan Performing Arts Center.

Anyone have an email addy or regular mail address for the kaufman Foundation so we can advocate for the larger plan?
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

here's the website for Ewings foundation but I'm not sure that's the right one: http://www.emkf.org/

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

The lead donation for the PAC is coming from the Muriel Kaufman foundation, which doesn't seem to have any web presence at all. The Ewing Kaufman foundation might be kicking in something, but they are not the organizers of the project.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

The first thing I thought when I read about the revised plan and the funding gap is, "This project isn't going to happen at all." That's a shame.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

nah, I have no doubts it will be built.....I mean Kauffman's foundation is behind it? That's a lock.

ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I hate to propagate negativity but when I was out to dinner a few months ago with some effecitve movers and shakers in town, they were not too confident that Ms. Kaufmann had the ability to pull it off, at least if she is the one leading the effort.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

ignatius wrote:I hate to propagate negativity but when I was out to dinner a few months ago with some effecitve movers and shakers in town, they were not too confident that Ms. Kaufmann had the ability to pull it off, at least if she is the one leading the effort.
That's the typical KC attitude you were listenin' to at dinner. More than half the money has been raised, the project will break ground sometime next year and will probably consist of all three humps.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Yeah I think I read that 63% of the funds have been pledged. Even with 75-80% pledged funds, you would think that would be adequate to get the project started. Besides, it will take 3 full years of construction to complete. I really hope they don't change the design though, I like the original design with 3 humps, it's much more dramatic IMO.
THE KID KEPT ONLY TWO COLORS IN HIS CRAYON BOX.....ONE RED……THE OTHER BLUE!
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

If i remember correctly, 200 million was the threshold for construction to begin. But remember, they can't begin construction on the PAC until the Ballet's new home is completed, and their temporary facility can be torn down.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... ily21.html

According to this story, $191M has been promised/set aside for the project so far. Correct?

If that's true and the state board is giving $25M which will be like $50M worth of cost (also according to the story above), wouldn't that put secured money at $250M wouldn't it?

Let's get this thing going ASAP...getting the PAC would really push the SoLO entertainment district.

tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

remember, they can't begin construction on the PAC until the ballet moves into their new building. Anyone remember when construction on that is to begin?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I would think they could break ground and get some ground work going, couldn't they?

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Sounds like the design is still in flux. They are debating whether or not they can afford separate symphony and opera halls. I think I remember hearing 2006 or 2007 as the opening date, so they probably won't start any construction for another year or two.
Rooster_Ties
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Rooster_Ties »

The plans I saw 3-4 months ago (actual blueprints) seemed to indicate that they were definitely going for the "two-halls" concept. (Then again, if money is a problem, they may be rethinking things.)

Seeing the plans on paper, I had visions of a place that was similar (in some ways) to The Lied Center at K.U., which would be great!!

I sing in the Kansas City Symphony Chorus (for the last 7 years), and I can tell you from my experience on both sides of the curtain (we're also often Symphony subscribers), that The Lyric is definitely lacking, in dozens of ways. It's an "ok" performance space, but nothing any better than just "ok" - at best.

[bitchmode] For instance, the chorus has to warm up in a 'shed' of a space that barely holds the entire group, all of us standing, shoulder to shoulder (well, not quite that tight - but very close!!). There isn't even room for chairs, and we can't warm-up while the orchestra is performing, because we can be easily heard by the audience, over the orchestra, while they're performing. :roll:

So, we usually have to arrive long before we have to sing (even if we aren't on-stage until after the intermission), so we can warm-up as a group before any of the orchestra's performance. AND, then we end up standing for 30-45 minutes, backstage, only to have to go on-stage and often stand for 30-45 minutes more during our performance. (I don't mind the "standing on-stage" part, but standing for that long backstage is a real pain in the ass.) [/bitchmode]

The gigs we've had at The Midland and at The Music Hall have been much better, because those places are much better geared to even the simplest space needs, backstage-wise.

So, as you might well imagine, I’m really looking forward to having a new Performing Arts Center in Kansas City, and the sooner the better!!
10-year resident of KCMO, who lives in the Volker neighborhood, near the West 39th Street corridor. I grew up outside of St. Louis, on the Illinois side of the river (near Belleville, IL).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

God hope they don't skimp on this project...2 "bumps" need to be built in Phase I...if that means not building Phase 2 for awhile (if ever) then so be it...it was meant for later...the 2 halls together can't be added later...they need to get this done and hopefully they were just putting that out there to scare some money out of people...hell, I'd throw in a few bucks...make it a region wide campaign like the original Liberty memorial was.

KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

so is it likely at all itll be scrapped? (god forbid)
i cant wait for it :) and then get the highway decked over :) (and expand bartle hall)
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

tat2kc wrote:remember, they can't begin construction on the PAC until the ballet moves into their new building. Anyone remember when construction on that is to begin?
Construction on the ballet begins this Fall with ground-breaking for the PAC next Spring.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.