OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - Performing Arts Center construction

Post by im2kull »

I can't wait  8)
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
blujdude87
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by blujdude87 »

Is it just me, or is this going to be the single most imposing building on our skyline! (Coming from the south on 35 anyways)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i was told over the weekend that the heartland men's chorus will be performing at the PAC when it's complete. today they perform at the folly.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

DaveKCMO wrote: i was told over the weekend that the heartland men's chorus will be performing at the PAC when it's complete. today they perform at the folly.
Coolio.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

HMC at the PAC?  Thats a whole lot of seats to fill. If they think they can sell that many tickets why are they not currently performing at a larger venue?  I do have a question about what is showing in the concert hall construction. The roof trusses they are installing are well below the level of the few curved members in place on the sidewalls.  Does this mean the ceiling where the trusses are is at a level below where the roof level will be?  Will there be a shell within a shell in the manner of most neoclassic domes erected since the renaissance?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

moderne wrote: The roof trusses they are installing are well below the level of the few curved members in place on the sidewalls.  Does this mean the ceiling where the trusses are is at a level below where the roof level will be?  Will there be a shell within a shell in the manner of most neoclassic domes erected since the renaissance?
Yep, you are right on. (Good Comparison!) This will be a building within a building.  That will make for the best acoustics.  Outside noises will be absorbed by the outside shell and not interfere with the actual performance halls. 

im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Midtownkid wrote: Yep, you are right on. (Good Comparison!) This will be a building within a building.  That will make for the best acoustics.  Outside noises will be absorbed by the outside shell and not interfere with the actual performance halls. 

+1

Exactly

There's a cross section out there somewhere that illustrates this perfectly (an actual cross section of the PAC) but I can't find it at the moment.  Here's a few pics for everyone.

What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Thanks for the pics!  I always love to see the progress here.  I am relegated to the one-view web cam.  Looks like lots of progress since my October Hard Hat tour.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

moderne wrote:HMC at the PAC?  Thats a whole lot of seats to fill. If they think they can sell that many tickets why are they not currently performing at a larger venue?
they frequently fill the folly, which is about 1,000 seats (they usually do at least two performances of each show). sunday's show was sold out. the PAC's concert hall will hold 1,600. not sure if that space is the one they're targeting, but it seems they need room to grow.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

And having it at the new center will probably draw even more people looking for an excuse to go see the new building.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I heard a rumor that the PAC saved a bunch of money on construction by buying all the steel a couple years ago.........and by switching their car insurance to Geico  :)

Any truth to this?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The first part is true.  They told us that on our Hard Hat tour at least.  Smart idea!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

Do you hear that?

That's the money the PAC saved when purchasing building materials before begining construction.

:D
THINK (ONE) KC.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

This facility is so incredibly exciting.  Cannot wait to see it start to be enclosed. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Kansas City.com has a great new video with some interior shots.  Inside is as dramatic as the out.  Everyone will want to make a grand entrance on that curved stair.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Sheathing has been placed on the "roof" of the concert hall.  Really starting to get a glimpse of the finished product.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Considering this will be the last new major downtown construction project we'll be able to watch being built for many years makes it all the more special.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

MidtownCat wrote: Considering this will be the last new major downtown construction project we'll be able to watch being built for many years makes it all the more special.

Now is the time to start "seeding" the media about the hot new story, the last big construction project.  Seriously.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Aren't you forgetting about the GSA?
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Aren't you forgetting about the GSA that will be built on the riverfront.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.