OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
langosta
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by langosta »

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

What are the two white parcels closest to I-35 labeled?
langosta
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by langosta »

kcjak wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:22 am What are the two white parcels closest to I-35 labeled?
I don’t think their label is anything other than the numbers in the master plan. Only the colored in parcels are being looked at for now.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Online pet website calls Bar K "America's coolest pet business."

Bar K presents dogs and their humans a business model like no other.

https://petsplusmag.com/bar-k-presents- ... -no-other/
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

FangKC wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:20 pm Online pet website calls Bar K "America's coolest pet business."

Bar K presents dogs and their humans a business model like no other.

https://petsplusmag.com/bar-k-presents- ... -no-other/
We took a guest from Europe to Bar K (we don't have a dog, but like to go and watch the dogs from the deck), and he ended up coming back with his friends a second time during his two week visit. It really is a unique and terrific concept.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

big fan. would love it if there was either more direct pedestrian access or if the streetcar went up there. either would probably have me going 3-4x more often.

i would also like it if their food was either 25% better or 10% cheaper. i fully expect to overpay but still feel a liiittle ripped off every time. perhaps that's because i am always driving there, and so never get to view the receipt through the lens of a beer or two as is generally the case at p&L establishments.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Apartment Project with Affordable Units Proposed for Riverfront

Prairie Fire Development is proposing a $15 million apartment project with up to 75 units, more than half reserved as affordable, on a small site near Berkley Riverfront Park.

The development is seeking affordable housing tax credits from the Missouri Housing Development Commission and tax incentives from Port KC, and if successful, would begin construction next summer and be completed by Fall 2021.
Prairie Fire Development is proposing a $15 million apartment project with up to 75 units, more than half reserved as affordable, on a small site near Berkley Riverfront Park.

The development is seeking affordable housing tax credits from the Missouri Housing Development Commission and tax incentives from Port KC, and if successful, would begin construction next summer and be completed by Fall 2021.

https://cityscenekc.com/apartment-proje ... iverfront/
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

Kansas City has a blank canvas and an opportunity to do something special with the riverfront. 2-3 story apartment complexes are not cutting it. I hate that this is even being proposed. Every plot needs to be the union or better. This cannot happen.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Take a look at what they did in Columbus park with the "CP Lofts" and picture that down there. I wonder what the lifespan of those buildings are. I'd wager not more than 20 years.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

mister816 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:03 am Kansas City has a blank canvas and an opportunity to do something special with the riverfront. 2-3 story apartment complexes are not cutting it. I hate that this is even being proposed. Every plot needs to be the union or better. This cannot happen.
Not sure I'd hold Union up as a benchmark. Granted they're tall(er), but what's up with the inward oriented, no pedestrian interface?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

taxi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 am Take a look at what they did in Columbus park with the "CP Lofts" and picture that down there. I wonder what the lifespan of those buildings are. I'd wager not more than 20 years.
Future Motel 6 or Rodeway Inn
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

smh wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 pm
taxi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 am Take a look at what they did in Columbus park with the "CP Lofts" and picture that down there. I wonder what the lifespan of those buildings are. I'd wager not more than 20 years.
I would bet a minimum of 50-75 years with regular investment.

The two hotels at Paseo/Indep Ave that were torn down were both built sometime between 1963 and 1969. They both nearly made it 50 years.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 pm

The two hotels at Paseo/Indep Ave that were torn down were both built sometime between 1963 and 1969. They both nearly made it 50 years.
I wouldn't say they made it, Bob.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

flyingember wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:46 pm

One was built out of steel and concrete and the other out of twigs and paper. You need to read the story of the 3 Little Pigs again.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Down by the river, KC seeks to add affordable housing

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/do ... le-housing
langosta
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by langosta »

langosta wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:37 am Image
Berkley Riverfront Park Parcel 12B- Planned 325 Apartment Units per Downtown KC report
Rumor Monger
Rumor Wizard
Rumor Wizard

Post by Rumor Monger »

I’ve heard from reliable sources that there is a group looking to put wave surfing machines on one of the rivers DT, either the Missouri or Kaw Rivers next to the food hall bridge. Might bring a little more activity to that area and generate some buzz.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Rumor Monger wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:45 pm I’ve heard from reliable sources that there is a group looking to put wave surfing machines on one of the rivers DT, either the Missouri or Kaw Rivers next to the food hall bridge. Might bring a little more activity to that area and generate some buzz.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIZvksf6XE
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Send that works go perfect by the Kansas bridge project
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It will certainly add another level of difficulty when the surfers get hit in the head by flying Asian carp.