OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by mgh7676 »

I recently visited some of downtown OKC's waterfront. While downtown is mostly separated from the waterfront, they have done a great job of providing recreational opportunities along the waterfront. Among other things, they have located a ferris wheel, built an artificial white water rapids course (that looked to be heavily used), and even had a ropes course with a zipline across the river. It would be incredible to see more recreational activities available at Berkely Riverfront Park. Once that happens, it will be much easier to promote an extended streetcar route.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Ooh a ferris wheel
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I have long expected that someone would turn Woodswether Road into an entertainment district, with the kinds of amenities mgh7676 mentions.
The views of the river would make for excellent rooftop terraces and it's removed from residential, so make all the noise you want.

I realize the water treatment facility at State Line is an existing drawback, but it's about to receive a huge investment and lids should be part of that.
........though it may take public pressure to insure that KCMo Water puts lids into the budget.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I think that's KCK water treatment, no?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

It’s KcMo
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Went down there last nite. Very nice. The problem at the moment is it's not walkable to anything but a park. I know all that should change but I've been burnt enough by "future amenities" that I would have to let someone else be the pioneer. When I'm ready to go in five years I'm sure the story will be different.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:Went down there last nite. Very nice. The problem at the moment is it's not walkable to anything but a park. I know all that should change but I've been burnt enough by "future amenities" that I would have to let someone else be the pioneer. When I'm ready to go in five years I'm sure the story will be different.
You can walk down the trail to the overlook that's at the foot of Main and get into the river market from there. It's ADA compliant as well with an elevator. This isn't obvious if you didn't know about it already though.

I seem to recall the stairs have a bike tire channel so you can take a bike up the steps too
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

The stairs do not have a bike tire channel.

Yes the trail is there to the bridge, but it is a long way and against human nature not to take a direct path, which would be straight up the Grand viaduct. As I understand it, there are people working on adding a bike/ped cantilever to this route and whoever is responsible for not doing this in the first place should be incarcerated. I have no idea how long that will take, but I would wager someone will unfortunately die on that bridge before it happens. It is very dangerous as is and I see people walking and riding on that shoulder all of the time. Traffic will increase as the units fill up and in the evening, the sun can be blinding while driving towards downtown.

If new residents of the riverfront want to walk, there is a nice trail there. But it will be a challenge if people are truly concerned with being able to walk anywhere like stores, restaurants and bars. Truth is, most folks aren't and I bet they fill up fast.

There are other challenges to living in that location, like the smell of corn processing to the east and across the river, as well as rotting cow flesh from Darling International to the west; loud nightly emergency drills form Ingredion (Natl. Starch) and the proximity of the tracks/horns, where some engineers see fit to blow in 1 continuous honk for nearly a half mile.

While it is a cool location and I would love to live that close to the river, the first residents will indeed be pioneers. But my desire to be a pioneer usually involves a deal, and I wouldn't call those units a bargain, though the amenities on site are impressive. And BarK is coming along nicely, which will surely entice more residents. Every tenant I saw there last night seemed to have a dog, though maybe that is just how I knew they were residents and others without were not as obvious.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Luxury apartments brings new attitude, people to KC riverfront

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/lu ... riverfront
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

flyingember wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Went down there last nite. Very nice. The problem at the moment is it's not walkable to anything but a park. I know all that should change but I've been burnt enough by "future amenities" that I would have to let someone else be the pioneer. When I'm ready to go in five years I'm sure the story will be different.
You can walk down the trail to the overlook that's at the foot of Main and get into the river market from there. It's ADA compliant as well with an elevator. This isn't obvious if you didn't know about it already though.

I seem to recall the stairs have a bike tire channel so you can take a bike up the steps too
1.6 miles on foot to City MArket that way. 1.4 to Vietnam Cafe. Only .6 to Isle of Capri.

Not what I would call a walkable neighborhood.

Walk score of 18. https://www.walkscore.com/score/1000-be ... y-mo-64105
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

A photo showing the status of construction of the Bar K Dog Bar building.

https://tinyurl.com/ybka92m9

https://www.facebook.com/barkdogbar/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Union Apartments Celebrates Riverfront Opening, New Projects Planned
Cronk said about 100 of the apartments have been leased so far, and new leases are coming at a rate of 15 per week.

The developer said his firm already has approached Port KC about additional projects in the Berkley Riverfront Park area.

“We want to do more residential and more commercial space,” he said. “A second project would have about 200 units and we could continue to build commercial space.”
https://cityscenekc.com/union-apartment ... s-planned/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Bar K: Tour the new pups-and-pints pub on the riverfront
Bar K's 2-acre dog park in Berkley Riverfront Park carries a unique distinction among traditional canine gathering spaces: It offers the pets' owners as much potential fun as it does the dogs.

Bar K includes a restaurant, lots of seating and a full-service bar that has 20 local and craft beers and specialty cocktails.

The full “healthy casual” menu serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for people, and Bar K partnered with Purina to develop a menu for dogs. Although pets are not allowed in the main dining center, an outdoor patio option lets patrons eat with their dogs.

Outside, dogs will find plenty of space to run around. They can cavort on a jungle gym and rock climbing wall. Trainers oversee the dogs outside so their owners can relax.

https://tinyurl.com/ychg48e4
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

FangKC wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:44 pm Bar K: Tour the new pups-and-pints pub on the riverfront
Bar K's 2-acre dog park in Berkley Riverfront Park carries a unique distinction among traditional canine gathering spaces: It offers the pets' owners as much potential fun as it does the dogs.

Bar K includes a restaurant, lots of seating and a full-service bar that has 20 local and craft beers and specialty cocktails.

The full “healthy casual” menu serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for people, and Bar K partnered with Purina to develop a menu for dogs. Although pets are not allowed in the main dining center, an outdoor patio option lets patrons eat with their dogs.

Outside, dogs will find plenty of space to run around. They can cavort on a jungle gym and rock climbing wall. Trainers oversee the dogs outside so their owners can relax.

https://tinyurl.com/ychg48e4
This is a great concept, visited in the WB with friends and their dogs and enjoyed - and sneezed due to all my dog allergies - the whole time. Look forward to visiting the new location.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Jon Stephens is the new PortKC President/CEO: https://portkc.com/port-kc-announces-new-president-ceo/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm Jon Stephens is the new PortKC President/CEO: https://portkc.com/port-kc-announces-new-president-ceo/
dude gets around
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

smh wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:16 pm
DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:27 pm Jon Stephens is the new PortKC President/CEO: https://portkc.com/port-kc-announces-new-president-ceo/
dude gets around
Said dude mentions the Riverfront as a potential KC Terminal. What I find more interesting is his mention of commuter Rail to the Riverfront.
https://twitter.com/rockhillstrat/statu ... 43776?s=21
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

It's true 2nd and Grand was once considered a "regional rail" terminal, but that plan is dead and never moved beyond the initial planning phase.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If the Hyperloop follows I-70, would it even come completely downtown, or say put an end-station around Truman Sports Complex? That option is included in the articles I've read. It seems it would reduce cost a lot by avoiding tight urban conditions / rights-of-way, a lot of existing bridges, and still serve the market.

If the deck is ever placed over I-670 downtown, perhaps that might be a logical place for a terminal station.

I still think Union Station should be a multi-modal transporation hub, so maybe HyperLoop could end there as well as moving the Greyhound bus terminal there.