OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by mpls »

whoops, i missed the date. are there plans for the p & l building? i think a new, 50 story would problably still be taller as it would sit around 560' (using bridge place's 11.3' floors).
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

well, usually newly built 1980s on residential buildings have only 10ft per floor.
9 foot floors are pretty tall for residential places.
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

our newest planned condo tower has floors of 11.3' and the 50 story developer did specifically mention high ceilings as one of the selling points.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

high ceilings could be from 8 feet (floor to ceiling of course) to 10. (should we talk about this elsewhere KC?)
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

but that is not an accurate way to determine the height of a building given number of stories and format. so i figured out what bridge place's (a different, proposed condo whose height and floor count is already known) floor to floor height was (11.3') and multiplied that by the number of stories, yielding 560' odd.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Damn, Mnpls is getting a 50 story res tower? Must be nice!
mpls
Pad site
Pad site

Post by mpls »

hopefully, it will be glass skinned, 40-50 stories and the developer hopes to break ground by late summer to fall.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ok, take the mpls condo talk elsewhere. At least not in this thread.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Found this rendering on the Weitz website. Its a lot like the one on the 909 website only from a lower profile.

I doesn't look like they're going to make too many changes to the streetscape of the building. I wonder where the retail is going to fit into this plan?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is the cheaper of the two condos sold? It's not listed on realtor.com or reeceandnichols.com.....that would be a big boost for the project.

BTW, I see this place daily pretty up close and it doesn't seem to be moving at all...anybody see anything I'm not?

paisstat
New York Life
New York Life

Post by paisstat »

This is my favorite building in Kansas City, I like it much better than The Power and Light Building-the blank brick wall on the west side I think is so ugly, ruins most of the building. Does anyone know why it was constructed like that?

Back to 909--the building is beautiful and I am so excited that it will become condos. I hope there is plenty of room for retail and business space too though. The city does should demand more mixture, which creates great urban space. I wish they did not cost so much though, because that is out of the range for most people. Downtown really needs more affordable housing--some that middle income individuals can afford.
KCDevin

Post by KCDevin »

yes, because a twin was planned, but the depression canceled that.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

paisstat wrote:This is my favorite building in Kansas City, I like it much better than The Power and Light Building-the blank brick wall on the west side I think is so ugly, ruins most of the building. Does anyone know why it was constructed like that?

Back to 909--the building is beautiful and I am so excited that it will become condos. I hope there is plenty of room for retail and business space too though. The city does should demand more mixture, which creates great urban space. I wish they did not cost so much though, because that is out of the range for most people. Downtown really needs more affordable housing--some that middle income individuals can afford.
I agree, I love 909 Walnut. It is among my favorites and I prefer it to KCPL. Imangine how magestic it will be with its spires lit dramatically.

KCPL has a blank wall because it was originally going to have a twin built next to it, but that obviously never happened. We essentially have one half of what was to be a symmetric twin tower where the inside walls had no windows.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

June 2005 is the target date for occupancy by the developer.

the PZE committee hears the tif plan for the parking lot tomorrow.

Lately I have seen activity in/around the building, even some lights on at night....very strange to see after all these years.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Groundbreaking set for tomorrow with spring 2005 occupancy. This is HUGE project for downtown($61 M) it's just hard to realize it with everything else (KC Live, PAC, Block, etc.). I like that it is venturing into the mixed use domain by offering 70,000 sq. feet of office space.

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... st=b_ln_hl
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Sure is nice to see that old beauty with lights inside of it again.....been way too long.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

been meaning to post this. I'll try to get a picture but there is exterior scaffolding going up on the top 3 floors around the southern peak. It's at least 3 levels tall....man brave guys going up there. Probably cleaning the limestone I woud assume.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Wow. I can barely cope with standing on a stepstool to change a lightbulb! :)

(Yet, despite my terror, during the Memorial Day fireworks I opened a window high up on P&L and was leaning out for a better view. )

Anyone know what's going on with the 1 or 2 buildings immediately north of 909 Walnut, across 9th Street? There's construction barriers around those as well.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I heard that the entire buidling will probably go condo after 5 years of rentals. Seems to be a common trend. I guess developers get better tax breaks when converting to rental units?
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCDevin wrote:can the public take photos of that? or not?
I thought I had a picture of it but I haven't found it. You could get a picture, though, it is displayed to the street so you can see it without going inside.