OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Post by wahoowa »

there were two guys and a lady walking through the lobby this morning pointing at walls and saying things like "so this is going to open up from here to here?" and "there's a column there"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Column buffs probably
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

wahoowa wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:01 am there were two guys and a lady walking through the lobby this morning pointing at walls and saying things like "so this is going to open up from here to here?" and "there's a column there"
Tell them to bring the clocks in the towers back!
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i don't think they could if they wanted to, i think both towers are part of the penthouse condo [NOTE TO EVERY OTHER APARTMENT MARKETING GROUP DOWN HERE: THAT'S WHAT A DAMN PENTHOUSE ACTUALLY LOOKS LIKE]
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

South tower isn't anything but mechanical I believe.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:50 pm South tower isn't anything but mechanical I believe.
Looked at the penthouse several years ago before someone else bought it. Was a cold shell (no heat, utilities, etc) but the south tower was space that was included. The realtor suggested it as another bedroom or office. Had full windows but would have been kind of strange because it was separated from the main part of the unit by the elevator ‘lobby’.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Did it go up to the huge window space that the North tower does?

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm Did it go up to the huge window space that the North tower does?

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
No, it was only one level that I remember but did have a door in the ceiling that we didn’t access. The north tower was open to three levels with a ladder to the top. Thefull unit the floor below the penthouse has a full balcony that went all the way around, which sounds cool, but there can be a lot of wind up that high. Didn’t make me so secure getting pushed along by the wind way up that high.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I toured the north tower once before it was done....the pictures of it completed were in the Star a few years ago, very cool
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Couldn't link these earlier, so here we go. I think something like this would actually make the 909 penthouse much more attractive to potential buyers. It's not just a very tall unit, it's also a clock, and people love clocks

Now, imagine this room with clock faces

And, more importantly, imagine having this back

instead of this

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cause what could be more convenient when walking DT than having a clock 500 feet above you when you need to know the time? :)
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:07 am Cause what could be more convenient when walking DT than having a clock 500 feet above you when you need to know the time? :)
The clocks weren't exactly put up there for practical reasons back then either. It was mostly so the bank could keep using their "under the old town clock" slogan, left over from their previous building

Therefore, the clocks dictated a significant part of the building's architecture and should be returned!
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Gloyd Building would have been a good building to convert into lofts--one big apartment per floor.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Stumbled across this footage of that building getting imploded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMT-yfplAwg
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

That is upsetting for me to watch. That was a good building.

From the angle in the photo in the link below, it looks like one could have gotten two big apartments on each floor instead of the one I stated earlier.

https://pendergastkc.org/collection/91 ... ding/49996
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

FangKC wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 am That is upsetting for me to watch. That was a good building.
Seems like KC lost a lot of skinny, tall-ish buildings and replaced them with bulky structures. I know town pavilion and the 80s commerce building wiped out a lot of similar buildings. 1 petticoat lane in particular replaced some great, much taller buildings on almost exactly the same footprint, pretty much ruining that street for no discernible reason. The 1034 main garage and the bus plaza also wiped out other buildings along with the Macy's, leaving a massive hole in the middle of the loop. I could go on....
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Many of them were former banks, or some type of financial institution. I was told awhile back by an older guy who'd live in KC all his life that the Kempers bought up empty bank buildings, and demolished them to prevent any competitor banks from coming into downtown. Examples being the Columbia National Bank/Gloyd Building and American National Bank building.
This one block contains 11 banks. Kansas City ranks fourth in bank clearings. The vintage of the cars and the signs along the street would indicate the picture may have been made about 1918. A check of the 1918 city directory lists these banks in the block: Commerce Trust Co., 10th and Walnut; Commonwealth National Bank, Walnut, northwest corner 9th; Fidelity Trust Co., Walnut, southeast corner 9th; Missouri Savings Association Bank, 920 Walnut; National City Bank of New York, 711 Republic Building; National City Bank, 912-914 Walnut; National Reserve Bank of Kansas City, southwest corner 10th; State Bank of Kansas City, 921 Walnut; Western Exchange Bank, 900 Walnut.
https://wayback.archive-it.org/9557/201 ... 0th-street
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:36 am Stumbled across this footage of that building getting imploded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMT-yfplAwg
Please, no snuff films. That's just maddening to watch.
nickyrosstheboss
Pad site
Pad site

Post by nickyrosstheboss »

HAHA yes no snuff films please!

It's actually nice to know what happened, but so so so sad to see.