OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Post by swid »

All units are being inspected by a lender today, so...I suspect that the building either has been, or shortly will be, sold.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

It's under contract.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

this sale still hadn't closed as of last week, by the way.

in extremely minorly related news, that i tried to pull up another thread to post about but google errored out: latest rumor is that the scooters in 929 walnut will be replaced by spokes cafe and cyclery. supposedly this will be an additional location for spokes and not a relocation. source: https://twitter.com/downtownkc/status/1 ... 6935621633 (presumably a poster here)
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I have heard the same thing from a reliable source. This will be an additional location, they will offer some bike services though I got the impression that for any "real" bike work they would take your bike over to the main location. Still, it will be so much better than Scooter's and a good place to get a flat fixed before the commute home.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

My understanding is that Spokes is still negotiating with the potential new owners of the building. Nothing is final yet until (unless) the building sale goes through. Until then, Scooters will be there and the closing is not imminent.

KCDowntown
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCDowntown wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:34 am My understanding is that Spokes is still negotiating with the potential new owners of the building. Nothing is final yet until (unless) the building sale goes through. Until then, Scooters will be there and the closing is not imminent.

KCDowntown
UGH
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I quickly learned that it wasn't official but it sounds like it has a really good chance
mykn

Post by mykn »

smh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am I have heard the same thing from a reliable source. This will be an additional location, they will offer some bike services though I got the impression that for any "real" bike work they would take your bike over to the main location. Still, it will be so much better than Scooter's and a good place to get a flat fixed before the commute home.
I bet I know who that is...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

mykn wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:56 pm
smh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:19 am I have heard the same thing from a reliable source. This will be an additional location, they will offer some bike services though I got the impression that for any "real" bike work they would take your bike over to the main location. Still, it will be so much better than Scooter's and a good place to get a flat fixed before the commute home.
I bet I know who that is...
I suspect that you do, haha. That said Powercat is right that this is still not a done deal.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

welp 909 closed, so bring on the spokes

edit: i was overly presumptuous. technically all i know is there's a new management company. feel free to draw your own conclusions (as i clearly have)
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Officially official as of yesterday. Worcester Investments bought the building.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

This seems rather high end compared to the rest of their portfolio.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

moderne wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:20 am This seems rather high end compared to the rest of their portfolio.
I may be wrong, but I think they may have sold off their portfolio and exchanged into this.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Spokes is confirmed in the scooters spot.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Historic 909 Walnut Building in New Hands, Second Spokes Rolling In
The historic 909 Walnut apartment building has a new owner, and one of the first changes will be the opening of a second downtown outlet for Spokes in the former Scooters coffee shop space.

The 35-story tower at Ninth and Walnut, the tallest residential building in the Midwest outside Chicago, has been bought by Worcester Investments, the same firm that’s redeveloping the nearby Flashcube building at 720 Main into apartments.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-909-wa ... olling-in/
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

new owners apparently think they can get rents up 18% on average over the next 3 years and are looking to extract money out of the ground level by adding a bar that's open to the public.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

wahoowa wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:50 pm new owners apparently think they can get rents up 18% on average over the next 3 years and are looking to extract money out of the ground level by adding a bar that's open to the public.
I really like the idea of opening some of the building up to the public. Wish the P&L building would do the something similar with its lobby
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 pm
wahoowa wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:50 pm new owners apparently think they can get rents up 18% on average over the next 3 years and are looking to extract money out of the ground level by adding a bar that's open to the public.
I really like the idea of opening some of the building up to the public. Wish the P&L building would do the something similar with its lobby
I interviewed in that building before the company moved out. Super nice lobby.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This sounds like a great idea. Panera was supposed to go in there years ago.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Scooters appeared to be closed today and some furniture being moved out.