OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL - 909 Walnut construction

Post by FangKC »

There is no fifth destination.
scooterj
Ambassador

909 Walnut Engulfed in Flames!!!!!

Post by scooterj »

Well, not really.   Apparently the alarms never sounded and people had no idea why all this drama was going on outside.   Finally some people did evacuate.   Latest I heard is that it turned out to be a smoky light bulb.

These guys never really did anything except watch.

The partial evacuation.   I didn't catch it on film but one of the first people out the door faceplanted on the sidewalk.

This dude was watching from about about 20 floors above the action.

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

yes, a smoky lightbulb. somewhere between the 6th and 9th floors. clearly no heat, so the sprinklers weren't tripped. we didn't think the sirens were for our building until we saw the ladder out the 4th floor window (the alarm sounded minutes later, of course).
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Pretty slick marketing campaign from 909. They're running ads on the Star's web site.

http://www.909walnut.com/faces-of-909.php
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Loved every thing about living here for their opening year... would have looked to buy if they were on the market when I was looking... only downside is no way to grill outside... unless they have put in grills on the rooftop garden???  Or you had one of the few units with a patio... 
On to the Next One
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

they have grills out there now I'm pretty sure when I toured for the urban tour.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: they have grills out there now I'm pretty sure when I toured for the urban tour.
yes, they were serving hamburgers and hot dogs.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, they were serving hamburgers and hot dogs.
But are they actually available for resident use? I had heard they only brought the grills out for special events and for the corporate tenants. This was actually one of the negatives I thought when I considered living in 909 Walnut. One of my wishes was to be able to grill, and certainly if I was going to be paying for that large roof garden I wanted to be able to grill for sure. I ended up close to City Market Park where I can grill to my heart's content.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Does anyone happen to know how sales are going at 909 Walnut? Just curious if brisk sales might be a harbinger of better days ahead for the condo market.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote: Does anyone happen to know how sales are going at 909 Walnut? Just curious if brisk sales might be a harbinger of better days ahead for the condo market.
2nd hand story is that half are contracted/reserved, but no closings yet.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

loftguy wrote: 2nd hand story is that half are contracted/reserved, but no closings yet.
That sounds pretty substantial given the short time they've been on the market. Is that a fair opinion?

I have this theory that, while the condo market in general is very soft, a perhaps understated issue is that there are too many of the wrong kind of condo on the market (i.e., lofts). As I've said before in another thread, I have friends looking at places from Union Hill north and they have been disappointed in the lack of "traditional" apartments/condos on the market.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote: That sounds pretty substantial given the short time they've been on the market. Is that a fair opinion?

I have this theory that, while the condo market in general is very soft, a perhaps understated issue is that there are too many of the wrong kind of condo on the market (i.e., lofts). As I've said before in another thread, I have friends looking at places from Union Hill north and they have been disappointed in the lack of "traditional" apartments/condos on the market.
I agree on all points.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think there are certainly people out there that want downtown condos and lofts, but they just can't get financing right now.  The problem with some of these bigger condo projects is that potential buyers, who can afford them, can't get financing unless a certain percentage of the condo building is already occupied.

The developer is in between a rock and a hard place. They can't find customers to buy because the occupancy level is too low, and they can't get the occupancy level up enough to allow others to get financing.  And there just aren't enough cash buyers out there.

Loftguy, am I correct about this?
There is no fifth destination.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

FangKC wrote: I think there are certainly people out there that want downtown condos and lofts, but they just can't get financing right now.  The problem with some of these bigger condo projects is that potential buyers, who can afford them, can't get financing unless a certain percentage of the condo building is already occupied.

The developer is in between a rock and a hard place. They can't find customers to buy because the occupancy level is too low, and they can't get the occupancy level up enough to allow others to get financing.  And there just aren't enough cash buyers out there.

Loftguy, am I correct about this?
This is the same thing I have been hearing. It's a classic catch-22. And many loans require very recent comps, like the last 90 days, and if there have been foreclosures and short sales and just plain old low sales prices, it can make it impossible to get the loan required for the contracted sale price.

FHA keeps changing their guidelines and it makes it a mofo to keep up. Most of their guidelines are created to handle the condo situations in messed up markets like Vegas or Miami and markets like ours suffer the consequences.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

You're right Fang and you're right Taxi.

Those condos that have not sold the "minimum"  (50%+ or -) are deemed as unwarrantable, which means the lenders will either not loan on housing within that project, or they require 20% or more as down payment on the purchase.

And as Taxi said, appraisals (comps) are a bitch right now.  The appraisers are working very conservatively, playing it safe, and pegging values at very low levels.

I can't tell you how many deals I've watched die this past two years, when the buyer and seller agree upon a value and the appraisal comes back 10 to 30% lower than the contract price and the deal blows up.  Doesn't matter if the buyer has 20% or more to put down. 

Cash buyers are showing up and are they ever scoring deals.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Note to self: become cash buyer.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote: Note to self: become cash buyer.
related note:  locate suitcase full of $100 bills.  take possession of same.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

isn't 909 mostly rental with only a few condos?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

ignatius wrote: isn't 909 mostly rental with only a few condos?
It was all rental to start with (except for the "penthouse" or whatever) and is being converted to condominium. At least that has been my understanding.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

according to last report last fall, 909 is still rental.  didn't realize it changed...
http://216.119.82.16/wp-content/uploads ... arter1.pdf

btw, the report says rental occupancy downtown was 93-95% last fall for rentals and 87% for condos.  I didn't know condos were selling that well.. or it could be condos that are being temp leased.

downtown council needs to update the report btw.