Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
User avatar
Steve52
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Steve52 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:27 pm

Something to consider...

"Individuals supporting themselves through the arts and creative industries have serious concerns about how they can sustain themselves in communities where the housing and studio space expenses are increasing dramatically. It is becoming especially problematic for younger, earlier career artists who aren’t able to get started in their field due to the high cost of living."

"With recent densification trends, our cities are simply not doing enough to provide assistance or advocate for preserving the spaces artists need to work and live in order to make their vital contribution to the vibrancy of a city. Rather than focusing only on code enforcement and penalization of those who struggle to revitalize these spaces, city governments should be creatively looking to incentivize building owners, such as through property tax breaks, to not only ensure code compliance, but also support the unique circumstances of these tenants and preserve the urban character they generate. Ultimately, what is overlooked is that excessive and constant loss of artist space drastically increases the chance that, over time, artistic neighborhoods will fall to inauthentic character and deactivated space, for when you remove the creatives, you lose the atmosphere they produced."

User avatar
taxi
Valencia Place
Valencia Place
Posts: 1691
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:32 am
Location: North End
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by taxi » Mon May 13, 2019 11:03 am

Steve52, why did you put that in quotations? Are you citing a source?

User avatar
Steve52
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 911
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:26 pm

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by Steve52 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes just a couple quotes from a National Endowment for The Arts Study and a Denver Article by Boulder County Arts Alliance.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by scooterj » Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm

Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17549
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO » Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm

scooterj wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)
How do you know July? If it's east of Oak it's probably for the Milhaus project.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by scooterj » Wed May 15, 2019 10:24 am

DaveKCMO wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm
scooterj wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 4:57 pm
Too many Crossroads projects to keep track of... anyone know which one is causing 19th St to be closed until July? (Just curious.)
How do you know July? If it's east of Oak it's probably for the Milhaus project.
Until mid-July is what it said when I clicked on it in Google Maps. This is west of Oak, though. From Main to McGee.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29506
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am

Main to grand is fully open now. Bad Google data I'd guess.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5936
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by scooterj » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

KCPowercat wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 10:30 am
Main to grand is fully open now. Bad Google data I'd guess.
Huh, weird. It was definitely closed yesterday, as I discovered too late much to my chagrin and was stuck trying to re-merge onto Grand from the bike lane in rush hour. :) (I couldn't see any obvious reason why it was closed, either.)

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29506
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat » Wed May 15, 2019 10:59 am

Oh no idea then. It just got opened back up from the Corrigan construction.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 17549
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO » Wed May 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Probably utility work. Spire is working like crazy all over town.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14049
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by FangKC » Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm

Yes, I was driving around the City a lot last Friday, and kept encountering Spire trucks, or their contractors, everywhere.

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14049
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by FangKC » Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Streetcar Grille & Tavern Opening at 16th and Main This Summer
...
The tavern will occupy 4,100 square feet and seat 170 people. It’s located on the ground level of the garage built three years ago for the Residence Inn and Marriott Courtyard hotels around the corner on Baltimore.
...
https://cityscenekc.com/streetcar-grill ... is-summer/

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 7668
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by flyingember » Fri May 17, 2019 8:33 am

You can take the streetcar to the streetcar.
The streetcar stops at the streetcar. The streetcar is at stop for the streetcar.
You can meet at the streetcar and go to the streetcar. You can meet at the streetcar to go to the streetcar.
You can watch the streetcar moving from inside the streetcar, outside the streetcar and inside the streetcar
You can sit in the streetcar and then go sit in the streetcar.

User avatar
wahoowa
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat May 02, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: CBD

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by wahoowa » Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am

Critical_Mass wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am
Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
just noticed signage up for this at that spot for the first time this week, though that's not to say it hasn't been there for a while.

the owner has an indiegogo page set up that is at 3000/20000 goal: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... ate-s-bone#/

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2128
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:02 pm

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by kcjak » Fri May 17, 2019 9:56 am

wahoowa wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:10 am
Critical_Mass wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:34 am
Pirate's Bone plans to move into the space previously occupied by Brioche:
https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 06b51.html
just noticed signage up for this at that spot for the first time this week, though that's not to say it hasn't been there for a while.

the owner has an indiegogo page set up that is at 3000/20000 goal: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plan ... ate-s-bone#/
While I wish them well (and I will definitely check them out), I just don't have any confidence in the long-term viability of a business that needs crowdfunding to get going or remain in business. Hopefully this is just to give them a boost with moving to a new, larger location.

User avatar
KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light
Posts: 29506
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:49 pm
Location: Quality Hill
Contact:

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by KCPowercat » Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am

CP Ramen shop did the same and are killing it.

User avatar
TrolliKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by TrolliKC » Fri May 17, 2019 5:12 pm

KCPowercat wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:57 am
CP Ramen shop did the same and are killing it.
Yes I participated. I honestly don’t know why any startup doesn’t - not only does it raise money but it has it’s own unique marketing slant as well. When CB opened up - we were pretty excited to check it out - same with many other restaurants we were part of the crowdfunding

User avatar
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14049
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by FangKC » Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm

I think you will see more small businesses using crowdfunding methods. It's hard for new, small businesses to get loans to startup. They often have a great idea. If you are a minority, it's often impossible to get loans with fair interest rates, or even get approved.

That is what KIVA is all about. It started as a way to help third world poor start businesses so they could support their families. However, the concept is expanding because there are so many people in the USA that have little access to capital.

Communities often can use this method to help create retail for their neighborhoods when traditional retail won't invest in their neighborhoods.

https://www.kiva.org/

User avatar
TrolliKC
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:27 am

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by TrolliKC » Sat May 18, 2019 8:14 am

FangKC wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm
I think you will see more small businesses using crowdfunding methods. It's hard for new, small businesses to get loans to startup. They often have a great idea. If you are a minority, it's often impossible to get loans with fair interest rates, or even get approved.

That is what KIVA is all about. It started as a way to help third world poor start businesses so they could support their families. However, the concept is expanding because there are so many people in the USA that have little access to capital.

Communities often can use this method to help create retail for their neighborhoods when traditional retail won't invest in their neighborhoods.

https://www.kiva.org/
Thanks Fang - plus make sure you join Team KANSAS CITY on Kiva.

langosta
Strip mall
Strip mall
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by langosta » Thu May 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Menlo Inc. HQ moving to Crossroads from the Northland

Menlo Inc. is taking over the former DERMAdoctor space at 1901 McGee St. and plans to move in during the first quarter. Its current headquarters is at 5904 NW 63rd Terrace in Kansas City.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... .amp.html

Post Reply