Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by earthling »

Nice blingy braces.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

scooterj wrote:
TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Image

=D>
True fact: I once spent an evening in NYC with actress Parker Posey slapping my leg.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Would much rather see a place like Green Room down in the Crossroads than District that would likely not happen. Heck, I'd love to see a place like GRB down in Brookside/Waldo. Just a good place for a burger or sandwich with fresh ingredients that wasn't cookie cutter, some craft beer, nothing fancy or with an overly expansive menu.

Trying to think of a great bar/burger place in the Crossroads.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

agree. i'd take green room over district and all of Flying-Yard-Hop-iPour-MO-Brew.

belfry is my burger and beer spot of choice in the crossroads. it's not the green room, but it covers most of the factors you listed above. utilitarian space and while the menu expanded a bit post-julian closing, it still manages to eke out a wider variety of flavors than the 4+ page menu options around p&L even though it has 20% of the actual menu options, which i like a lot.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Brewery Emperial is another good beer and burger spot. Howard's has the best burger in the Crossroads, though not a bar, they do serve beer too.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Critical_Mass wrote:Brewery Emperial is another good beer and burger spot. Howard's has the best burger in the Crossroads, though not a bar, they do serve beer too.
Good call on, BE. I've been to Howard's couple times on lunch breaks...are they open on the weekends now?

Tapcade is a decent burger too.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

wahoowa wrote:agree. i'd take green room over district and all of Flying-Yard-Hop-iPour-MO-Brew.

belfry is my burger and beer spot of choice in the crossroads. it's not the green room, but it covers most of the factors you listed above. utilitarian space and while the menu expanded a bit post-julian closing, it still manages to eke out a wider variety of flavors than the 4+ page menu options around p&L even though it has 20% of the actual menu options, which i like a lot.
I should give The Belfry another shot. It's been awhile.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kucer wrote:Would much rather see a place like Green Room down in the Crossroads than District that would likely not happen. Heck, I'd love to see a place like GRB down in Brookside/Waldo. Just a good place for a burger or sandwich with fresh ingredients that wasn't cookie cutter, some craft beer, nothing fancy or with an overly expansive menu.

Trying to think of a great bar/burger place in the Crossroads.
There are two Town Topics and a liquor store. It gets the job done.

Anton's and Howard's both have good burgers. The Brick is a solid burger too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Tannin has a good burger. Corvino after 10pm. Previously mentioned Howards. Haven't tried BE or Belfry but I can't imagine those are bad.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I can attest to Belfry, Antons and Westside Local as all being delicious.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so over "burger" restaurants. can't every great restaurant just serve a great burger and liquor (like, um, all of the crossroads restaurants)?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:so over "burger" restaurants. can't every great restaurant just serve a great burger and liquor (like, um, all of the crossroads restaurants)?
find consistent and great will follow.

I really doubt Town Topic would still be around if they couldn't cook the same quality of burger today as they did 80 years ago.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Anyone been to the Jacobson lately? I haven't been for some time, but their bone marrow burger was very good.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

More district info. Supposedly catty-corner from la bodega and will be demoing a building and building new.

Can't think of what building they are talking about.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Unless they meant like across the interstate and taking down the old mixing bowl building?
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

I've heard it will be in the Mixing Bowl location. Didn't realize they were demoing, but makes sense. I hope they get rid of the front parking.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah that building is doomed....and bad design. Glad to hear that's the spot.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Tried Mission Taco and itap yesterday.

Not much to itap except a nice spot and a lot of beer, it will at least lessen the crowds at adjacent places on occasion.

Mission Taco was surprisingly good! Arguments about better local places aside, it's a great space with some damn tasty food. I noticed Jenn Tosatto was tending bar, I'll have to try a cocktail next time in stead of beer.

Very nice to see so many folks out and about on a random Thursday.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I was also down in the Crossroads (and River Market) yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how much pedestrian activity there was on a sleepy Thursday. Downtown has truly turned a corner.

That said there is still so, so, so much more work to be done. The pedestrian experience is still seriously lacking in this city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so many things: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 41202.html
▪ Novel will relocate from 815 W. 17th St. to a new building at 1927 McGee St. Depending on permits it could relocate as early as November or as late as March 2018. It will continue to operate at its current location until the move.

▪ Made in KC sells Kansas City-themed and locally made products in three retail shops and 10 area Hallmark stores. It is moving its offices from Prairie Village to 509 E. 18th St. by mid-September. It will then have a Food Truck Patio in an open lot next door, hosting three or four food trucks for lunch Fridays and Saturdays.

▪ The Abbott, 1901 Cherry St.: An event space that will seat up to 500 people. An early 2018 opening is scheduled.

▪ A Papa Keno’s Pizzeria franchisee has signed a lease for the former Snow & Co. space at 1815 Wyandotte St. and plans to open there by late September.

▪ Casual Animal Brewing Co., 1725 McGee St.: Kyle and Lara Gray plan to open the microbrewery and tap room by the holidays. Their tag line: Laid back beers that tap into your wild side. Kyle currently is assistant brewer at the Big Rip Brewing Co. in North Kansas City.

“This is an evolution of a dream I suppose. And the Crossroads is a vibrant, creative area with other organic breweries and distilleries,” he said.

▪ The Kansas City Clothing Co., 2020 Baltimore Ave.: Geoff Miles started the company in 2014 and had a pop-up in Leawood’s Town Center Crossing from November through August. His line, mostly T-shirts and hats, has a strong Kansas City focus from a portrait of the “father of Kansas City” John McCoy to Kansas City Superheroes (with a percentage of sales benefiting a local charity).

He hopes to have a soft opening during weekends in September and then be open full-time in October. The lower level will be a sales floor while an upper mezzanine will host promotional events.

▪ Afterword Tavern & Shelves, 1834 Grand Blvd., has scheduled a fall opening. The owners did not return phone calls.

▪ RedWether Collaborative wants to open an 18,000-square-foot, two-story food hall, featuring local eateries, at 1707 Locust St. in mid-2018. Chefs would sign leases of 18 to 24 months.