Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

and on another crossroads front:

a special CCA membership meeting is being held next week to vote on the removal of a board member "for cause". i won't go into the sordid details, but if you know of any crossroads "characters", i'm sure you can guess who it is.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: and on another crossroads front:

a special CCA membership meeting is being held next week to vote on the removal of a board member "for cause". i won't go into the sordid details, but if you know of any crossroads "characters", i'm sure you can guess who it is.
Aww, c'mon Dave.  What is this forum without sordid details?
towncow
Pad site
Pad site

Post by towncow »

and on another crossroads front:

Aww, c'mon Dave.  What is this forum without sordid details?

Still sordid.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: Another disappointment for the crossroads...Habitat is moving.  I saw a for lease sigh in their window.  I asked the clerk if they were closing, she said no, they are just moving.  I asked where, she said she didn't know yet.  I told her "Don't go to Kansas!"  She said, "We'll try!"  I would hate for Prairie Village to steal another urban retailer.  She said there wasn't enough foot traffic in the area.  Hope to see them in the old Starbucks in Westport, but doubt that.

Good News though, the Taylor Building next to Helix architecture and down the street from Soho South is renovated and looks great!  I took a peek inside and it has an awesome grand stair and exposed heavy timer structure.
Not enough foot traffic...duh! At this point you must be a pure destination store to make it in the Xroads. The only way to create a pedestrian apex in the Xroads is to revamp the pedestrian experience by creating more density among retailers. Why not create a substantial retail block that is made to house places like M&C, Habitat, Phenom, etc.? Locate next to existing retailers and look to expand that synergy. Right now Xroads is a bunch of small islands...
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

yeah.  And as long as people keep moving out, they will have even more trouble creating critical mass...
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Magazines and Coffee went out of business.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

yeah what sort of foot traffic was expected out of the xroads on a non First Friday?  Still, disappointing, and another (along with MAC, and others) grim reminder of just how far the xroads has to go, particularly with it's scattered layout.  I feel like in any other city, the most desirable strip area in the xroads (not sure where I might place that, but maybe around 18th/Wyandotte, or Freighthouse area) would be fully developed out by now, with the outlying areas still left completely alone, waiting for the building energy in the one destination cluster to take off...not sure why the xroads has come along in such a sprawling manner.
are we spinning free?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

This is where the organic development of the Crossroads could use some gentle master planning.  The retail shops that need foot traffic should be encouraged to cluster in 3-4 block square area.

The Crossroads is a larger area than the Loop, yet with much less density.  Imagine if the businesses in the Power & Light District were spread out over the entire Loop instead of concentrated within 3 blocks of each other.  How successful do you think it would be?
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

exactly.  Planning is def needed.  With all these residents moving into Piper and Windows lofts, we need to give them places to walk to and shop.  I wish that crossroads project had gotten off the ground with the whole foods and other retail where the mobil phone building is...anyone remember that?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Speaking as one myself, I think it is pretty clear that most crossroads residents are still in the practice of leaving the neighborhood to do their shopping.  There are lots of places to walk to for dining and entertainment but almost nothing in terms of everyday living.  MAC was a step in the right direction but until there is a neighborhood food market of some sort and some other every day living amenities I don't think you will see many xroads residents out on the streets for purposes other than going out for dinner or drinks. 

A cafe/magazine store is the sort of place you stop into while you are out heading to the market or on your way to pick up the dry cleaning, etc. - not the sort of place you necessarily go to just on its own. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote:
A cafe/magazine store is the sort of place you stop into while you are out heading to the market or on your way to pick up the dry cleaning, etc. - not the sort of place you necessarily go to just on its own. 
Agreed.  I liked the concept, but it just seemed grossly out of place.  It wasn't in the heart of Xroads and it wasn't in the heart of the business core.  It was right in between.  Like you said, nobody is going to walk 4-5 blocks to read a magazine.  But, if it took up roots on an already established pedestrian path (i.e. Cupini's), business would be solid.   
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Speaking as one myself, I think it is pretty clear that most crossroads residents are still in the practice of leaving the neighborhood to do their shopping.  There are lots of places to walk to for dining and entertainment but almost nothing in terms of everyday living.  MAC was a step in the right direction but until there is a neighborhood food market of some sort and some other every day living amenities I don't think you will see many xroads residents out on the streets for purposes other than going out for dinner or drinks. 

Do you think the P&L Grocery Store could change that?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Do you think the P&L Grocery Store could change that?
For the CBD - yes.  For most of the xroads - no.  Many xroads residents will probably still drive to the new grocery - remember these folks still all own cars so how many are going to walk 5-10 blocks with their groceries when they can park at the store?  Its going to take having a corner market or two and some other everyday businesses before many xroads residents give up the notion of driving to run their day to day errands.  Its a great neighborhood in terms of walkable dining and nightlife but bottom line it is still piss poor for every day needs. 
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i agree.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: For the CBD - yes.  For most of the xroads - no.  Many xroads residents will probably still drive to the new grocery - remember these folks still all own cars so how many are going to walk 5-10 blocks with their groceries when they can park at the store?  Its going to take having a corner market or two and some other everyday businesses before many xroads residents give up the notion of driving to run their day to day errands.  Its a great neighborhood in terms of walkable dining and nightlife but bottom line it is still piss poor for every day needs. 
The thought of Xroads loft owners driving to the new Cosentino's Market, parking in the garage, and driving back to their loft's parking garage makes me gag.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If you had to walk 5-10 blocks carrying six bags of groceries, the thought of driving might not be as repulsive to you.  I did this for 2.5 years and it was not fun--especially in the winter.
There is no fifth destination.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

FangKC wrote: If you had to walk 5-10 blocks carrying six bags of groceries, the thought of driving might not be as repulsive to you.  I did this for 2.5 years and it was not fun--especially in the winter.
I don't buy 5-10 bags of groceries at once, but I've been carfree for quite a few years now. It's not that difficult. 

If everyone prefers to drive absolutely everywhere there is no point in subsidizing an urban market. We need to better orient our neighborhoods for pedestrians and cyclists, but there are simple things people can do to desuburbanize parts of the urban core like using sidewalks once in a while.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone know about this?
JE      6.      SD 1386A -- Preliminary Plat, Lidia’s Freight House, a Condominium Plat – About 4.4 acres generally located south of 22nd Street and west of Main Street, to consider the approval of a preliminary condominium plat in District C-3a2 (Intermediate business (high buildings) district) for two lots and three tracts (units).

Agent: Lidia’s Freight House, LLC
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

I think it's the parking lot south of Lidia's/City Tavern/Jack Stack.    Re-plating in anticipation of some day building on them....?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: I don't buy 5-10 bags of groceries at once, but I've been carfree for quite a few years now. It's not that difficult. 

If everyone prefers to drive absolutely everywhere there is no point in subsidizing an urban market. We need to better orient our neighborhoods for pedestrians and cyclists, but there are simple things people can do to desuburbanize parts of the urban core like using sidewalks once in a while.
Yes but the vast majority of xroads residents aren't car free and the neighborhood doesn't currently do a very good job of supporting that.  I live about 11 blocks from the future grocery store and I will probably incorporate visits into my walks when possible - but that's about a 40 minute round trip just for the walking part - factor in 15-20 minutes in the store and suddenly thats an hour trip.  An hour might fly if its a planned outing but if time is important, I just need an item or two, and I have the car sitting outside . . .  And I would wager that I am a lot more open to walking places than the average resident.